Annoyed need a bit of help

Options
Anyone have advice on determining calories burned? I spend 30 mins on the elliptical, 16 mins on the stair climber, and 15 mins on the treadmill walking at 7% incline. I know the elliptical is not the best choice and I'm working up to replacing it, but my knees are bad after years of sparring from when I was younger. running on the treadmill just makes my knees throb, plus my gym's treadmill belts tend to be loose and I've actually slipped and fallen a few times. All the machines I can enter my weight, which I do. I log it into MFP and the calories burned match pretty close, but I know to not believe it. I just don't know what to actually subtract.

I accidentally clicked the wrong selection and my calorie intake was marked 400 kcal higher than what it recommends for weight loss. I corrected this but the exercise is still altering my results and making it look like I only consumed 500 kcal on some of the bar graphs. I do not believe I'm burning 800 kcal, I just don't know what to guesstimate in my logs.

Do you all just avoid entering cardio?

Replies

• Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I just use the lightly active option on here and never enter any of my workouts but I do wear an hrm just to kind of guesstimate what exactly I am burning. :) But I am a total sedentary lazy butt besides my workouts.I have a polar ft4 and it works well for that!
  • MLLeFever
    MLLeFever Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Originally it was marked as lightly active, but now that I'm a coordinator, I sit at a desk all day.

I need to get a HRM, I don't trust the equipment, but it's the best I got for now. Normally while working out my HR stays between 140-160.

I just don't know if I should cut the calories burned by 50% or higher.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I use the estimate that MapMyRide gives me (and enters automatically into MyFitnessPal), but I reduced my weight to below my goal weight in MapMyRide so it would give me a more believable number. The only accurate method is to use a machine to measure the amount of oxygen you use during your workout. Everything else (including HRMs) is just an estimate.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Maybe try taking the machines' estimate and taking 50% of that. You can manually change your calories burned in MFP so it's easier to see what you have left to eat.