Benefits:Too fat to work

Options
fat_beyonce
fat_beyonce Posts: 133 Member
Did anyone watch the Channel 5 show yesterday called "Benefits:Too fat to work". If so what are your thoughts about it?

This is probably more of a UK relevant question. However to sum it up for those of you abroad, the show basically documented the lives of several morbidly obese individuals who are collecting unemployment and disability benefits on the basis of their obesity.

Here's a link if you want further information: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2897024/Couple-weigh-54-stone-claim-2-000-month-benefits-fat-work-use-pay-3-000-dream-wedding.html

Replies

• HunterKiller
    HunterKiller Posts: 361 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I saw bits of it. Sometimes it's the parents fault. I mean "Iron Bru in her baby bottle" says it all really. But for the lazy ones who just spend their lives eating and getting paid every month by you and i really takes the piss. How about that Spaghetti Bolognesse! I think it was a kilo of meat and 2 jars of sauce just for the 2 of them lol
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I literally have no words.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    That's some BS. Unless they have some sort of other disability that they cannot control, fatness is no excuse for not going to work. Tons of obese go to work everyday!
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Did anyone watch the Channel 5 show yesterday called "Benefits:Too fat to work". If so what are your thoughts about it?

This is probably more of a UK relevant question. However to sum it up for those of you abroad, the show basically documented the lives of several morbidly obese individuals who are collecting unemployment and disability benefits on the basis of their obesity.

Here's a link if you want further information: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2897024/Couple-weigh-54-stone-claim-2-000-month-benefits-fat-work-use-pay-3-000-dream-wedding.html

Cut there benefits, might help them on there JOURNEY tp work
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    That's a hard one. Where do you make the line? What if the disabilities were the result of a life of too much liquor? What if the disability was the result of an auto accident while speeding? Yes, you can always find a few individuals who will use their own bad behaviors to game a system but most folks don't. It is extraordinarily difficult for any system to build a set of rules that will separate the few cheats from the many who truly need the help. So the better system would be to give folks appropriate help such that they get what they truly need.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    king-size_homer.png
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    That's a shame...
  • fat_beyonce
    Options
    Yes, it's audacious that so many people suffer from genuine diseases and afflictions yet these people think obesity justifies them collecting these benefits. What drove me crazy was how apathetic they were, it was as if they just couldn't care less and had no desire to better themselves. They were comfortable simply accepting what their lives had become. I thought to myself where's your fighting spirit? One woman admitted she had never tried diet or exercise yet was willing to let the government pay for a gastric bypass.
  • TheBigFb
    Options
    I think its a disgrace. The 20 stone woman that hasnt work in 20 years in the wrost. Others worked etc. Cut them off, watch the weight fall off them.

Good too know you are going to work paying taxes worrying about bills etc for them to be at home , on first name basis with the chipper.
  • TheBigFb
    Options
    I feel sorry for the young scottish girl. And her mother.
  • fat_beyonce
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I know when they celebrated their 2-3 pound weight loss with kebabs I wanted to reach through the TV and yell at them in person. The woman who hadn't worked in 20 years was the worst, she wasn't even trying to look for work.
    TheBigFb wrote: »
    I think its a disgrace. The 20 stone woman that hasnt work in 20 years in the wrost. Others worked etc. Cut them off, watch the weight fall off them.

Good too know you are going to work paying taxes worrying about bills etc for them to be at home , on first name basis with the chipper.

• fat_beyonce
    Options
    I didn't feel as sorry for the teen and her mother as I felt like she enabled her. She lamented about her daughter needing 11 pillows to sleep on so that her chest wouldn't collapse, yet followed that up by showing the shiny, brand new pack of 2 litre coca-cola bottles that she had just bought for her. Have they heard of diet coke?
    I feel sorry for the young scottish girl. And her mother.

• keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I can't watch it, boils my blood seeing where me and the wife's hard earned tax goes..
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    keefmac wrote: »
    I can't watch it, boils my blood seeing where me and the wife's hard earned tax goes..

Ugh.. Sorry to hear that. :|
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I work in a corporate office in the US, there are a least 3 people that I've seen much larger than the ones featured in this documentary that work in my company (its a large campus, there could be more), so the "I can't work, because I'm obese" excuse is complete BS.

These people don't work, cuz they don't want to work. I'm sure there are plenty of people here as well trying to use the same excuse to collect disability.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Honestly I am more shocked at the naivete here. This happens in the USA as well. All of the time. I worked in a non-governmental agency in the past that provided various services to individuals with disabilities and I would estimate that over 1/3 of the clients under age 65 would not have been on disability without their morbid or super morbid obesity as one of the MAJOR factors.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

Cut there benefits, might help them on there JOURNEY tp work

Agreed.

Why should people who actually discipline themselves have to pay for someone who doesn't? Obesity can be helped. It's not a real disability. Eat less.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Obesity is not a disability it's a choice.
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    king-size_homer.png

This is one of my favorite episodes.
    Bart: "If you gain 61 pounds they'll let you work at home?"
    Homer: "Y'uh huh, that's the deal. No more exercise program, no more traffic, no more blood drives or charity walks."
    Bart: "Dad, I know we don't do a lot together but helping you gain 61 pounds is something I want to be a part of."