Help addicted to Peanut Butter!

Options

Replies

• Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I love my peanut butter too but I have learned to control myself around it. only a serving and no more.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    giag09 wrote: »
    @countjassula how do you use your pb2 I add it to smoothies I tried it in non fat greek yogurt and it still didn't help the taste

That's because if you truly love peanut butter, pb2 is never going to cut it. Ever.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You're not addicted. You just really like it and have no self control around it
    I made an edit.

"You're not addicted. You just really like it and choose to have no self control around it."

both of these ...

good lord people...liking something does not equal addiction ...

that word gets tossed around way too much on here..
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You're not addicted. You just really like it and have no self control around it
    Yep, agree.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    @countjassula how do you use your pb2 I add it to smoothies I tried it in non fat greek yogurt and it still didn't help the taste

That's because if you truly love peanut butter, pb2 is never going to cut it. Ever.
    Agreed. If you do want to use pb2, buy peanut flour. That's all it is, but pb2 is more expensive since it's a "diet product".

I just weigh my portions (tare the scale with the jar on it and then remove one serving) and log it. I can usually fit 1-2 servings into my day.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love the Trader Joe's Crunchy Salted Peanut Butter with Flax and Chia Seeds....something about the different textures....I just make sure I watch, but it is good...nothing wrong with loving peanut butter!
  • gbel1975
    gbel1975 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    the problem with it is that well some people can keep it to 2 tablespoons I tend to overindulge (my addiction) so all that added fat and calories isn't good but anyways just wanted some thoughts on the topic I will try to control my cravings :)

Yes, I find it very hard to limit it to 2T. Peanut butter, along with peanuts themselves and other nut butters, are very difficult for me to handle in moderation. Like you, giag09, if I didn't have kids in the house that eat it then it would be better that I didn't have it around.

I do use PB2 in smoothies, shakes, etc. You are supposedly able to reconstitute it with water for use as peanut butter (on bread, toast, crackers, etc.), but I've never found that to work very well.
  • cdez80421
    cdez80421 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I was literally sitting there eating a tablespoon of peanut butter when I came across this thread :) I am a total peanut butter *kitten*, but I just make sure that it fits into my daily calorie goals ;)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter, too. It's good for you in small amounts; it's just really calorie-dense, so you have to be careful about quantity.

I say stick to the good stuff, and see if you can buy it in those mini-packets for a while -- you know, like the ones that they serve at restaurants with your toast? You may be able to find them at restaurant supply stores or online. For instance, Kraft sells single-serve 18g packets of their various peanut butters.

Sure, it'll be more expensive, and I don't normally condone the environmental waste. But it's only for a little while, to get you accustomed to portion control. Then hopefully once you get used to eating only a little at a time, you can go back to the big jars and self-regulate your intake.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    My best suggestion would be to work on having self control around it. Let yourself have 1 tablespoon in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. Or work 4 tablespoons into your allowance. 1 serving doesn't mean that's all you can have in a day. Your calorie limit is your calorie limit. If you want it, work it in. I reward myself for running with a spoonful of peanut butter.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Surely its good for you? Unless you're eating gallons of it and getting in the way of weight loss then its great!

I have a big dollop of PB every day in my morning smoothie and I'm not a fan of the stuff, its just full of good fats and protein.
  • trying4real
    trying4real Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have been craving PB for a couple days, I probably should not have come to this thread. lol
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    gbel1975 wrote: »
    the problem with it is that well some people can keep it to 2 tablespoons I tend to overindulge (my addiction) so all that added fat and calories isn't good but anyways just wanted some thoughts on the topic I will try to control my cravings :)

Yes, I find it very hard to limit it to 2T. Peanut butter, along with peanuts themselves and other nut butters, are very difficult for me to handle in moderation. Like you, giag09, if I didn't have kids in the house that eat it then it would be better that I didn't have it around.

I do use PB2 in smoothies, shakes, etc. You are supposedly able to reconstitute it with water for use as peanut butter (on bread, toast, crackers, etc.), but I've never found that to work very well.

I don't usually put my PB on bread or anything. I used to buy apples to dip in it, but all I was doing was eating the apple and then eating the peanut butter with a spoon. Haha.

I still do that - but I like apples!

Anyway, since I love peanut butter so much, I don't want to dilute it with anything! I find I am more satisfied when I eat it on its own.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    gbel1975 wrote: »

I don't usually put my PB on bread or anything. I used to buy apples to dip in it, but all I was doing was eating the apple and then eating the peanut butter with a spoon. Haha.

I still do that - but I like apples!

Anyway, since I love peanut butter so much, I don't want to dilute it with anything! I find I am more satisfied when I eat it on its own.
    Ditto

OR sometimes on toast so it gets nice and gooey.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I dip pretzel sticks in it. My husband puts it on squares of hershey's chocolate. Love it on raisin toast.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    PB is my desert island food. So versatile and sooooo delicious.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm out of peanut butter right now. All that I have in my house is almond cookie butter. I had to hide it at the back of my pantry to keep myself from taking a spoon to that little slice of heaven.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Is it wrong to admit that lately, I've been preferring Jif?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Is it wrong to admit that lately, I've been preferring Jif?
    I've only ever bought Kraft brand.

I won't do this powdered PB crap, or other nut butter or organic blah, noooooooo thank you.