Total Girly-Girl Seeks Exercise Motivation

Options
I need help!!! I've lost 8 pounds. BUT I cannot motivate myself to exercise. When I get home, I'm usually so tired it's all I can do to cook supper. I am not a morning person. Have to be at work at 8, I usually roll out of bed at 7:20. Seriously. I hate to sweat. I don't have a single solitary athletic bone in my body. Any ideas to get my lazy bum off the couch and doing something, anything, would be GREATLY appreciated.

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    You either want it or you don't. When you want it enough, you'll get it done.

That being said, find something that you like. Then it won't feel like a chore. I spent years in cardio hell before I found that I love lifting things a lot more.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

That being said, find something that you like. Then it won't feel like a chore. I spent years in cardio hell before I found that I love lifting things a lot more.

All of this...

Get sweaty, have a shower, simple!
  • jhaastrup
    Options
    Start off slow, take your tennis shoes to work and walk the area on your lunch break. Its a start and will motivate you to do more later.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Agree with PP's, though unfortunately you do have to sweat if you want to lose weight/become healthy. There's tons of different types of work outs, I'm sure you can find one that you enjoy!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

TRUTH.
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    OK, look you. If you can't change your morning habits, how about buying a treadmill and WALKING while you watch TV at night? You can walk slow or fast, adjusting the intensity by adjusting the incline. How about that?
  • doitmiss
    doitmiss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I make excuses for everything and i say the same thing.
    But I've been pushing myself. Like they say if you wan it you will do it.
    Its hard at first but it does get easier. I use to be 100 pounds lighter
    and could lift 80 pounds easily now i can't even lift 5. So i hear ya.
    Just have to do it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Girly girl, do you like to dance?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's got to be something you like. What about yoga? Walks in the park? Do you like to dance? Maybe Zumba classes? Rollar skating? Biking?
  • Shereewhitney88
    Shereewhitney88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ^ ^ What they said. You have to want it, REALLY want it. I am a girly girl as well and when my 'journey' first started I hated working out too but after shopping for cute workout gear and shoes (and headbands) and finding something I really like and enjoy doing (Paired with an Ipod full of great music to get me through it) I workout. Now I actually enjoy getting sweety and my face being red, its a glorious feeling.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Well, when you say girly-girl, do you mean you like traditionally feminine things? Because, while I'm sure some dude is going to come along and insist that this is his absolute favorite workout in the universe, I can't imagine many things more girly than dressing up in cute new workout clothes and dancing around the living room to Disney tunes. o:)

Or maybe you could volunteer to walk dogs at a local animal shelter. Stop on the way home and do a couple laps around the mall. Experiment with various YouTube workout videos. Sign up for a self-defense class. Adopt a segment of local road and walk around it picking up trash. Do your neighbors a solid and rake some leaves or shovel some sidewalks for the mail carriers. Go to a trampoline park like Sky High Sports. Be retro and hit up the local roller rink?
  • cdorsey7194
    cdorsey7194 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am just like you. Not a morning person at all, however, I have found that I love Zumba. You really do have to find something you enjoy. Dancing makes everyone happy!
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Dancing is a good idea. Tons of fun and will get you moving!

But in all honesty, if you don't like to sweat...how do you live? Do you stay indoors all summer long? Sweating is good, so that's something you're just going to have to deal with.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    As a former professional in the lazy bum department (i have references) just get started doing something, ANYTHING. go walk around the block or just up the street and back but do it today. make today day one. Tomorrow you might change your mind. If you can't do that, you don't want it bad enough.
    Tomorrow you will be on day 2. Post then
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    loud upbeat awesome fave tunes.

music es magic.
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm not a natural athlete and exercise isn't my favorite thing in the world. I've decided I dislike looking like a tube of toothpaste squeezed in six different places more. Dial your food and just get active - anything is better than the nothing you're doing now. Walking, yoga, a 20 minute video, dancing like a fool in your kitchen. I find I crave more activity when I'm active, and that's not to say I go buck wild in the exercise department. I've just found things - a bit of weight lifting, investing in a treadmill, some kickboxing videos,e tc. - that I either enjoy or don't mind doing for a small fraction of my day a few times a week.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Agreed here
    jhaastrup wrote: »
    Start off slow, take your tennis shoes to work and walk the area on your lunch break. Its a start and will motivate you to do more later.

Also this. Walking is exercise. Do you have a local gym that has a pool or yoga type classes? Anything to be more active counts and is better for your health.

Really its a matter of making time to do something to be more active and finding an activity you enjoy and willl choose to do again. Good luck!
  • donnysoule
    donnysoule Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean and it's so easy to dread the thought of exercise, but, and I'm telling the truth here.... 1 week of exercise in and you'll look forward to it. It releases something that just makes you feel better after that initial shock... then you start looking better, getting more attention and the whole thing just snowballs..... It is so totally worth it
  • amandaturns30
    amandaturns30 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I believe that Daily Burn, a channel of workout videos (you can watch them on Hulu) has a free 30 day trial. You could use the videos just to see what workouts look appealing. Zumba might appeal to a girly girl. Then once you find a video that looks appealing maybe you can take classes. http://dailyburn.com/?s1 Some kind of music/dance/social atmosphere. The walking advice is excellent but if you hate the workout (basic cardio) even starting slow is going to bore you.

Also - SO MANY PINK AND ADORABLE AND COMFY WORKOUT CLOTHES TO BE HAD!
  • tinamarie0604
    tinamarie0604 Posts: 308 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I get it! cleaning, laundry, cooking, working, kids, homework! Who has the time to work out!!! But 1 hour each day to do something for yourself, to better yourself, to look better, be healthier, have more confiedence,it's totally worth it. Try a Zumba class, it's fun and it doesnt feel like your working out, it feels more like your at a party! However, you will sweat! Before you know it you'll be looking forward to your workout! I look it as my workout time is "ME TIME", It's my time to be selfish and do something just for me. Let's face it, we have to take care of ourselves, so we can take care of our families.
    :wink: