Food Day at work

Options
2»

Replies

• shannonstube
    shannonstube Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    gogospice wrote: »
    I always pretend that the person who made it didn't wash their hands... kind of ruins it for me!

I do this too, or I think about how I have no idea what that person's house/kitchen looks like. That usually makes me not want to eat anything homemade.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I went all of December without eating anything anyone brought into work. Nothing. That was my mini-goal. Now I don't even want it. Go a month without baked goods. Trust me, they just won't look appealing. Now I'd rather have nuts or beef jerky or cheese.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I would make sure you're not hungry today by eating foods you already planned in your day. If I already feel satisfied, it's easier to turn down a treat.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    We had scrumptious cupcakes in my office yesterday and I used willpower (it was hard) and a text to a friend for motivation, and I didn't have any. I told myself it will take 30 seconds to eat that sucker and how long to work it off? Later I looked at the calorie content on the package and was so glad I didn't. 380 cal, 21 g fat, 33g sugar! Made it all worthwhile because that is a lot of treadmill time.
  • jeanette526
    jeanette526 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    somehow your brain needs to think there is a greater reward/benefit for saying no. Try imagining yourself thin and sexy. photoshop something like your head on a magazine model's body and keep it in your purse to look at. sooner or later, binge eating will not be consistant with your image of yourself and fattening food will become consistant with a very negative image of your body.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    ahhhh Willpower! Something so foreign to me in all my years! What do they say? “Willpower is a muscle you use. The more you use it the stronger it gets!”  These are very much trigger foods. My favorite things to eat are junk foods and snacks. Super Bowl Sunday is like a holiday because of the plethora of dips and snacks. Thank you all for your advice! Even just reading these and writing back is a great distraction! Hey, there’s an idea! Working as a distracting (being that I am actually at work and all!) 

Thank you!!

I have not heard that quote - “Willpower is a muscle you use. The more you use it the stronger it gets!” - before. I love it!!

It is a great and very true quote.

I would say that the ultimate willpower is being able to have one thing, or one bit, without bingeing. I think that's something to work towards.
  • ngagne
    ngagne Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    suck on a piece of dark chocolate (or just have a only a bite of brownie). If I REALLY want something that's "bad" for you, and I deprive myself of it - it can sometimes lead to over-eating "good/healthy" foods. Sometimes it's better to just have one small bite, or suck on the chocolate to kill the craving versuses overeating on other things.
    but once again, that then boils down to the willpower to allow yourself just that taste to kill the craving, and not over indulging.
  • Monsterdog1114
    Monsterdog1114 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I can't 'eat just one'.. so I feel your pain. when I make this complaint, my husband reminds me that you have no idea 'who just sneezed on the food'.. it makes it not so enticing!
  • abbystewart319
    Options
    gogospice wrote: »
    I always pretend that the person who made it didn't wash their hands... kind of ruins it for me!

LOVE THIS ANSWER!! LOL! Thank you ALL!! I did really good! I had the smallest slice of pumpkin cake and even scrapped the top off! Hey, pumpkin is good for you after all! I waited until lunch and had it as "dessert". Then I had a TON of water! I'm stuffed and yet still have energy and ready to take on the rest of the day. They put it all on top of a filing cabinet that I was taking everything out to put in boxes so it was literally in my face. It just didn't look as good as it did when I was hungry! I love the advise and the help and support you all give. It really makes this feel different from every "diet" I have done. I'm not trying to "diet" I'm just watching what I put in my body! You all rock!
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    This is the one thing I'm excellent at giving advice on lol.

I work in a building that brings in catered food for our customers daily. We have catered breakfast and lunch and after the customers eat, we're free to eat whatever we want. My god...thing bring in cakes every day. We also have free snacks (chips and cookies) and a giant fridge full of soda for free. This is what made me gain of course lol.

For the snacks and desserts, I went cold turkey. It took several weeks and I literally almost shed a tear every time I walked past cheesecake lmao, but if you can just make it past a few weeks, you'll lose that urge to indulge. It was a self control issue with me. I had to prove I could leave it alone before I could have it in moderation.

One of the biggest things that helps me is I literally bring groceries into work. I'm sure I look crazy having an entire overhead storage cabinet at my desk with various foods and I keep refrigerated and frozen foods on the community fridge. I make sure my snacks are things that are both healthy and tasty. For example- I keep Special K chips at my desk rather than grabbing 3 bags of regular chips for the snack basket. I keep frozen blueberries for something sweet. I have various lunch meat and tuna. And a number of other snacks.

I still enjoy some of the food, I just make sure I plan out my day and try to avoid the things that don't fit it. One day, the delicious Mac and cheese as a side can work. Another day, I just stick to some edamame. It's all a balancing act.

But the first step was just getting self control to not grab a couple red velvet cake pieces.