What are good low impact exercises for beginners?

I have planned to start on the new journey to better myself. I would like some advice on what exercises that I can do and work myself up to doing a more intense work out. Even if it is possible even give me links to youtube videos or sites that have routines to do. I am looking more into cardio type work outs.

At this point I am considered morbidly obesed, I am soon to be 25 yrs. old at 5'3" and at 365lbs. my BMI is 64.7. I am lucky to not have any health issues at this point.

And I would really like to work slowly into this, I have started changing my eating habits and started a diary on here. I have also started some dance aerobics that I have found online.

Thank you in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Walk, walk, walk! It does wonders, seriously.

Also, swimming is great. I go to the Y and they have a heated indoor pool and some deep water aerobics classes that I loooove (especially great during pregnancy, btw).
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I'm a swimmer and lose weight pretty well doing it. I love it because I can go HARD in a way I can't with the landlubber stuff. (I started at 260 lbs)
  • CassandraLT90
    CassandraLT90 Posts: 16 Member
    Thank you, I am planning on walking and biking once the weather gets better here. But I will check out my local high school since I heard they have classes and open swims.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Walk!! It's such an underrated yet really beneficial form of exercise
  • CassandraLT90
    I feel the same way. I would love to do a hard work out but with my size it almost feels impossible. But in the pool it is a lot easier.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Walking....
  • flosoup38
    flosoup38 Posts: 71 Member
    I'm only starting out doing this and am 240lbs. I just bit the bullet though last night and joined a Insanity fitness class. I had read loads of things that said wait til you've lost a bit/increased your fitness but I just went to see and I loved it! So much so, I'm heading out the door now to the second class in a row! It was hard, really really hard but I did what I could and pushed myself as hard as I could without killing myself. My instructor was brilliant also!! My advice....just go for it. The only thing stopping you is you :smile:
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    edited January 2015
    Yes - walk! Don't wait until the weather is nicer. Go now. With the right gear, there is no time like the present.

Or, go on the treadmill. Here's a good plan for beginners: http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/walking-treadmill-workout-fitness

No excuses, sister!
  • dylangrrrrl
    dylangrrrrl Posts: 64 Member
    My mom weighed close to 400 pounds several years ago and got down to 150 (she's 5'5") by following Weight Watchers diet and walking was the only exercise she did. She was in her late 50s at the time. Good luck on your journey! I need to lose 20 lbs and my goal is a daily 30 minute walk to start out. Once we get into a groove, I bet we will want to do more and more. Walking will turn into running, tougher workouts and who knows, maybe even the gym! But even if it doesn't we will still be so much healthier. :)
  • CassandraLT90
    Thanks ladies. I am going to have to start bundling up for this below zero weather and get outside to walk. I might look into gyms if I can find on close enough and hours that work for me.
  • byvanzant
    byvanzant Posts: 18 Member
    I found this one on this website and have started doing it and it is a workout!
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/fast-fitness-get-strong-with-no-equipment-video/
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    edited January 2015
    I think this is the lady I heard about before the forums got all changed around: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1t73eh_exercise-tv-start-walking-at-home-3-miles-with-leslie-sansone-1_lifestyle

Walk at home with Leslie Sansone. Good Luck!

(BTW if you live in anywhere in the mid Atlantic, I suggest this. IT IS TOO COLD OUTSIDE!!!!! :s
  • byvanzant
    byvanzant Posts: 18 Member
    Also I love walking and even though we have snow on the ground here in Colorado I find the sidewalks that are cleaned and just walk those even if I have to walk back and forth. If it is too cold like yesterday at below 20 degrees then I find something else to do in the house to get my heart rate up like walking up and down my stairs or just walking around in the rooms. All that matters is you get up and move.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    I will through the elliptical out there as well. It is easy on the joints. When you get to a point where you get past the walking and are looking for your next exercise, the elliptical is where it is at.
  • CassandraLT90
    Josalinn wrote: »
    I think this is the lady I heard about before the forums got all changed around: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1t73eh_exercise-tv-start-walking-at-home-3-miles-with-leslie-sansone-1_lifestyle

Walk at home with Leslie Sansone. Good Luck!

(BTW if you live in anywhere in the mid Atlantic, I suggest this. IT IS TOO COLD OUTSIDE!!!!! :s

I live in Michigan and it is -12 today. And I know it will get worse with wind chill later in the season here. Last year it reached to -45.
    Thank you for the link too.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    any exercise will help , walking works wonders for me , makes me feel better in myself too. When I started , a stationary exercise bike indoors helped me but I much prefer being out in the fresh air , wandering with my thoughts

very therapeutic and freeing

good luck and let us know how you get on
  • Ajaxlost
    Ajaxlost Posts: 46 Member
    Leslie Sansone's Walk away the pounds. super low impact. she has several workout videos. sometimes I even find them "on demand" on cable tv.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Josalinn wrote: »

I live in Michigan and it is -12 today. And I know it will get worse with wind chill later in the season here. Last year it reached to -45.
    Thank you for the link too.

ooo lake effect.
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Maybe give spinning a try. It is low impact and you can easily modify your intensity if you need to.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    I started with 15 minute walks -- then 30 minutes on a stationary bike -- then spin class -- then running. Little steps lead to big changes. Good luck! You can do it! :smiley: