Thai restaurant - healthiest options

Options
So my dear boyfriend is keen to take me out for dinner tonight and is keen to go for Thai. I'm not a real guru on Thai cuisine. What are the healthiest options I should be picking from the menu?

I have 667 calories left for the day at this stage. I'm planning on going for a short walk this afternoon so whatever I eat tonight I don't want to exceed 800 calories MAX.

Replies

• TaushasJourney
    Options
    Under "Generic/Homemade - Pad Thai" in the database, my favorite Thai noodle dish is only 470 cal for an 8 oz serving. Assuming you can eat peanuts OK, it's delicious!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Avoid rice, fried foods, and anything candied/sugared.

Satay is great - it's just lean meat on a skewer. Also, sauteed vegetables are a good option. Avoid noodles (pad thai!) and stick with basics. Steamed/poached fish or veggies.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Under "Generic/Homemade - Pad Thai" in the database, my favorite Thai noodle dish is only 470 cal for an 8 oz serving. Assuming you can eat peanuts OK, it's delicious!

Most restaurant pad-thai ends up being 1000+ calories, and insane amounts of sodium. It's less of a problem when you cook at home, but not a safe bet if you're aiming to watch your calories while dining out! :flowerforyou:
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Might look up the food ahead of time to help you make the decision. I love coconut soups and sauces but they probably high in fat. White steamed rice is always better than fried rice. Stay away from the noodles and heavy sauces.

Enjoy! :smile:
  • katemarjoram
    katemarjoram Posts: 203
    Options
    I looked up dishes to try and have some knowledge going in but since I don't know what a lot of the stuff is it makes it tricky. I also love satay and coconut but know how calorie laden they can be.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I had thai for lunch for about 500 cals. I had half a cup of brown rice with Shrimp Pra Ram. It is a heap of spinach with steamed shrimp and peanut sauce. At the restaurant that I went to they just put the sauce on top so I was able to not have that much sauce. My husband and I split the dish. I even got to have a couple of spoonfuls of mango sticky rice. You are welcome to look at my diary for the breakdown.

smiles :)
    Ang
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thai's do some delicious salads. Larb is wonderful, there is an awesome beef salad, I've had a duck one, a seafood one, and they would all be lowish in calories, and very tasty...
  • JessicaFB
    JessicaFB Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I forgot the name of the dish..larb gi?

Basically ground chicken, spices and lime. Served with cabbage leaves.

When I do thai food, I order a saute of veggies and protein and ask them to go light on oil. I do not order rice and avoid eating the sauce.