Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Acg67 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    She had one less lamb when I was done.

il8s3ezvbrnd.jpg

Is that an end grain butcher block table? I've been looking at some

Yes. Heavy, solid, and has held up to my bone saw quite well. Probably the best cutting board I have too.
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Not quite sure why so many people are put out by the term itself... what does it matter? What a waste of energy on an unimportant issue!

There are heaps of really good meatless recipes out there, but my favourites are:

http://www.theglutenfreevegan.com/
    http://www.yummly.com/browse/quick-and-easy (does all sorts and you can pick and choose specific ingredients you want either included or omitted)
    http://www.thisrawsomeveganlife.com/p/my-diet.html (this is for more raw meals but it's not just salads so is worth a look if you like trying new things)
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    We like to raise animals and grow food in places that don't have enough water to go around, so I'm for anything that encourages people to eat things that don't take as much water to make.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Acg67 wrote: »
    She had one less lamb when I was done.

il8s3ezvbrnd.jpg

Is that an end grain butcher block table? I've been looking at some

Yes. Heavy, solid, and has held up to my bone saw quite well. Probably the best cutting board I have too.

Yeah I am so not going to lie- that's a beautiful table and I was deeply jealous when you posted the picture.

meat's nice too- but I want the block.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,365 Member
    OK, so I may be slow to the party here but I've seen a lot of articles lately about a new 'type' of eating choice - someone who still eats meat but tries to reduce their intake, hence 'reducetarian'.
    Completely unrelated at the latter part of last year I was considering trying to eat just veggie meals mid week, for a few reasons a) get out of my 'cooking rut' by planning evening meals around what meat I have in the fridge b)to broaden my veggie recipe repertoire c) to see if I can reduce weekly food bills by buying/eating less meat d) see what health benefits it might provide to me if any.

Has anyone joined the 'Reducetarian Pledge'? Any ideas for recipes? Are there any conversation threads I am missing on here already about this? (I searched and no results came back.) Just looking for general advice on recipes and other people's thoughts on this new(?) buzzword/diet.

It's stupid. They are omnivores, as is anyone who eats both meat and plants. End of story.

Ridiculous buzzword is ridiculous.

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I think it is because of environmental concerns and less about diet. The beef industry is pretty terrible for the enviornment :/

I've never been a huge meat eater, but I eat about 90% paleo now so I have meat at almost every meal, typically chicken. I like beef but I rarely cook it for myself so I only have it occasionally.

I agree that having a term for this is a little silly.

Then don't eat feed lot beef. Beef is bad, but chicken is far worse.

Not in terms of methane gas, actually. I'm sure there are environmental concerns with chicken as well, but in terms of methane production beef is just about the worst thing. Its worse than all cars/trains/planes combined. Like I said I still have some, but I could understand why someone would intentionally cut back. And it doesn't have to dow ith feed lot- even local grass fed can cause the issues.

aw, bless your heart. That's not the issue. That's actually one of the areas of least concern. Far more important is issues like effluent, etc.

How about you "aw" contain your condescending nonsense and do some research yourself to any number of the links I listed.

I can tolerate plenty of internet crap, but I won't put up with being talked down to. I've been considering hiding you because you are all over EVERY damn thread (seriously, you must have a lot of free time) but now its gonna happen. Bye forever!

Edit: Shoot, I can only hide things from newsfeeds. Welp then I'm off this thread for good.

Aw, bless your heart.

Your links were weak and don't reflect accurately issues with food sources. That's ok though we've all been there. There is good data to be had though.

I DO like the thin skinners, doubly when they're wrong.

you actually had time to pick through all that? Hey, you have too much time on your hands! slacker!

I looked at a couple while taking a dump. Found some similar stupidities and outright old data. Realized that I got sucked into a wild goose chase and that nothing reasonably relevant would be found there, and that the poster's timetrolling worked on me.

I think the google scholar page was just the raw search results, not something curated by the poster. I can't imagine that in the few minutes between his post and hers that she actually had time to read any of them. I thought her point in posting the link was that it was an established concept and it isn't exactly new or hidden (~166k results, IIRC).

Hope you don't mind if I lol just a bit that you got sucked into spending time reading them. I don't often get to call other people nerds, especially after the time I read an encyclopedia set because it was a gift and it seemed rude to send a thank you note if I hadn't even bothered to read it. It was the Canadian Encyclopedia though, so luckily it was only 3 volumes, and volume 3 was mostly just apologies in case anything in volumes 1 or 2 made anyone feel bad. :p

Besides the Michael Pollan books, are there any other books or studies you would recommend? I actually would like to do some research on food and the environment, and sometimes it's easier with a good starting point.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal Vegetable Miracle" gets into it.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member

I'll check it out.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    im a vegetarian who misses white fish, so that makes me?

aquatarian??

• dbmata

I'll check it out.

Not that I personally recommend at this time, because frankly, I'm spending most of my waking and non-working time investigating modern cooking methodology. It's got me intrigued again, and I think it might stick this time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    OK, so I may be slow to the party here but I've seen a lot of articles lately about a new 'type' of eating choice - someone who still eats meat but tries to reduce their intake, hence 'reducetarian'.
    Completely unrelated at the latter part of last year I was considering trying to eat just veggie meals mid week, for a few reasons a) get out of my 'cooking rut' by planning evening meals around what meat I have in the fridge b)to broaden my veggie recipe repertoire c) to see if I can reduce weekly food bills by buying/eating less meat d) see what health benefits it might provide to me if any.

Has anyone joined the 'Reducetarian Pledge'? Any ideas for recipes? Are there any conversation threads I am missing on here already about this? (I searched and no results came back.) Just looking for general advice on recipes and other people's thoughts on this new(?) buzzword/diet.

It's stupid. They are omnivores, as is anyone who eats both meat and plants. End of story.

Ridiculous buzzword is ridiculous.

Yup. Before I changed my diet in connection with losing weight I ate meat about 4 times a week, and now that I'm getting close to goal I'd like to go back to at least one meatless day. I also used to like to give up meat for specified periods, like Lent, and I might do that again this year, haven't decided yet.

This, of course, makes me an omnivore. If asked, I see no reason to say anything more than "yes, I eat meat. I also enjoy meatless meals."

I really don't understand why people like labeling their diets so much.

And I read and get inspired by recipes in vegetarian and even vegan cookbooks and sites all the time.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,808 Member
    People like labels. !00% virgin wool, all of them.
  • dbmata
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    And I read and get inspired by recipes in vegetarian and even vegan cookbooks and sites all the time.

Without those recipes, I wouldn't have side dishes.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I think this time of year the popular press will publish anything diet related that seems remotely new, even if they have to make things up.

Reducetarian reminds me of 'high raw vegan' and pescatarian. People do love to classify themselves by their eating habits, especially when they feel their habits are more virtuous.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited January 2015
    How is it sustainable to be a reducetarian. The concept to reduce is to well, reduce. So unless you continue to reduce, you are no longer a reducetarian.

It's like being a Shaker in a way.

Edited to correct my spelling of the silly word.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    I'm a humanitarian.

Mmmmm, humans.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Mostly plant based omnivore?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Is someone trying to be a reducetarian but failing, a maintainitarian or a statusquoitarian?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    edited January 2015
    For that matter, if I aim to eat more meat, am I an increasetarian?
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    If eating less meat makes you happy, why not? If you're worried about humane treatment of animals, you could go the lacto-ovo-pescetarian route and make sure you choose your sources based on treatment (free-range, sustainably fished, etc.).

Of course, buying meat from local farmers and ensuring humane treatment is also a good way to help your local economy and at the same time reduce pollution through unnecessary transportation, which can't be a bad thing!

Good luck!

Disclaimer: I eat meat. :smile: