I need some support!

Options
I am 27 years old and my weight keeps climbing! I have a cheat day and then I just want to go back eating the way I was before. I really want to lose 75 pounds this year! I fear that I will try for a week and then blow everything I worked for in a day and will not pick it up again. I have never asked for support before to help with dieting but this might be the way to push me through!

Replies

• sabree_19
    sabree_19 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way I do it for about a week and then fall off but let's do it together :)
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Perhaps look at just one meal not an entire day. For example my "cheat" meal (which really isn't a cheat meal anymore because my tummy can't take it) is dinner on Saturday night. During that day I log my food and adjust my other meals and snacks to make the difference in calories. I also tend to have a harder/longer training session on that day so I am able to fit that in based on the calories burned.

Good luck!

• roady29
    roady29 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am the same way and have been for many years...this is my first time asking for support too. We can do this!!
  • jamieporter22
    Options
    I have done the same thing! But then u have to start all over! I agree with the above. Instead of a whole day of cheating just pick something that week that u crave or just really love that u know u cant have everyday. Dont deprive yourself because then u will binge, but dont over indulge where u feel terrible either. Its not easy but we can do it! Decide what u really want more healthy body or the food? I want the body! But i will take a little bit of the food!
  • LO1421
    LO1421 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    instead of a cheat day....how about a cheat meal?
  • AmandaAnne307
    AmandaAnne307 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I can't do a 'cheat day' or 'cheat meal' for this reason - it's way to hard not to slip into old habits. Instead I allow myself to spurge every once in a while, log it and adjust the rest of my day/week accordingly. But the fact that you can see what is causing the issue is a good start to changing that behavior!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I hate that whole "cheat" thing. Just don't do it. Plan and fit it into your day. And its ok not to log/count on occasion (I rarely keep track, but I'm at goal), but make smart choices.
  • trishd6
    trishd6 Posts: 20
    Options
    This is my 4th time back with MFP. You can do it, just take it one day at a time. It is difficult but if you make small goals it really helps. You can have an ultimate goal of how many pounds you want to lose but look at the small goals, 5 pounds, 10 pounds etc...celebrate the small victories! Have a cheat meal or a special treat after 5 pounds or 10 pounds. The first time I did this, I would reward myself after every 10 pounds I lost with a special treat that I love, whether it was a bowl of my favorite ice cream or my favorite candy bar or maybe it was a non food item

None of us are perfect as this is my 4th time with MFP, we are going to slip up and eat or drink something we probably shouldn't, not log every single thing we put in our mouths, have a cheat day or just simply want to quit. At the end of the day, you are in the right place and heading in the right direction. You have to decide what works for you!!! Find people that will support you!!
  • jaebm
    jaebm Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am the same age girl and yes my weight is climbing too! When I had my first child at 19 the weight literally fell off of me and I was smaller than ever. Then as the years went on I started to gain (thanx to my hubby who loves eating out and is a terrific fattening cook as well). I like to blame him but I know it's my own doing in the kind run! Had my second son 17 months ago and although I knew it was unlikely for the weight to just fall off like I did when I was 19 I still hoped for it, but nope! I actually have only lost 15lbs and still have 9 of the pregnancy weight plus lots more that was put on prior to pregnancy that I am really wanting to lose! Let's motivate eachother!
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    LO1421 wrote: »
    instead of a cheat day....how about a cheat meal?

This. I've discovered cheat days can get out of hand and can ruin an otherwise healthy week.

• jaebm
    jaebm Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Very true Neveragain!!
  • mz107
    mz107 Posts: 16
    Options
    Every morning, I have to tell myself to ONLY focus on today. You can get so bogged down thinking about the weeks/months/years ahead... Take it one day at a time. It's been a game changer to me. When I am feeling discouraged, I just tell myself to make it through this one day. The next morning, I'm usually proud that I didn't waiver and it gives the motivation to go another day.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I am 27 years old and my weight keeps climbing! I have a cheat day and then I just want to go back eating the way I was before. I really want to lose 75 pounds this year! I fear that I will try for a week and then blow everything I worked for in a day and will not pick it up again. I have never asked for support before to help with dieting but this might be the way to push me through!

so don't have a cheat day.
  • blainebrain
    blainebrain Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat anymore because i know I can't handle it. Best to log your food for the day the night before and stick to it. Takes commitment and really wanting to change. I lost 60 lbs in less than 6 months, so you are within reach! How bad do you really want it?!
  • needconfidence
    needconfidence Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know the struggle I'm the same age and Wanna lose around 80 lbs and I've come to understand its not as easy to lose the weight as it was when i was a teenager i personally can't
    have a once a week cheat meal or day or ill fall completely off track i stick to once a month feel free to add me :-)
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I use to do a cheat day but it is hard to get back to it. Rather than a cheat day I do a cheat meal/snack. If I am good all week I will have a sub for dinner on friday or something like that. Or I will get ice cream for me snack.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Are you working out too? eating back exercise calories?

working out can help with staying on track!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    @sweetkygirl‌ I have really good news for you... 1 day does not undo all the hard work you put in... You would have to eat at least 3500 cal over to add even 1 lb of fat. (Everything else you see on the scale is typically water weight and undigested food). So one day is not the end of your loss unless you quit.

If you have an off day, log the food anyway, and get right back into it. You CAN do this.
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    lilmiss_sunshine29 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat anymore because i know I can't handle it. Best to log your food for the day the night before and stick to it. Takes commitment and really wanting to change. I lost 60 lbs in less than 6 months, so you are within reach! How bad do you really want it?!

wow - well done you!
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    lilmiss_sunshine29 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as a cheat day. In fact stop having cheat days because you're only cheating yourself.
    Plan your meals anyway including some exercise. If you go over your calorie allowance on 1 day yet for example, the remaining 6days (assuming) you have stuck to your allowance or have calories remaining.... you should still be on track by the end of your week.

I used to freak out at going over on 1 day. Now I look at overall weekly intake because there are days i don't exhaust my allowance so they're in the "bank" so to speak. On the days i plan to over indulge I also make an extra effort to;
    - work out harder
    - eat less for the meals prior to when i wanna over indulge

Don't eat for the sake of it.