help from running friends please

Options
bunnysone
bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
Firstly, there is no such thing as failure, so this is not a fail.

But I need a bit of convincing that my first attempt at fartlek training was a reasonable effort.

6.15am, cold, on my own, 1km jog to start, then 1 minute on at fast pace then 2 minute jog x 6 repeats, then 1km jog home.

Total time around 30 minutes, HRM isnt loading properly so I cant give you my peak and trough heartrates :(

Just wanted some convincing or constructive criticism?

Replies

• Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    For fartlek I'd say definitely good. It's all about improvement. Fartleks are meant to as a way to improve and are more about trying to make the run fun and be rather productive. Keep up the good work!
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I think that's pretty good too! Keep up the good work!
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    I do a workout like that too and I have found it is more effective than just straight running. In fact, I really can't do a straight run anymore, I have to do an interval (unless I do a super long run). Good luck and keep up the good work!!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Fartlek is meant to be enjoyable. I'd be interested to know what your pace is, but six 2:1 (jog/speed) intervals is a pretty good workout in my opinion.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great start! I do a 200 metre sprint, then walk a 100 metres till my HRM shows I can do another 200... My HR maxes out after 200 metres flat out. I did a 5-mile circuit yesterday like that, and am hoping to teach my body to run faster within my HR limits...
  • hansada2
    hansada2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    fartlek's are torture for me always. always. I am convinced they don't ever get easy. your doing awesome. no worries.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    IMHO fartleks should be less structured (easy, then faster to a random object or something - some easy, some full blast, some medium). What you did is more like intervals, nothing wrong with that, but perhaps a tough way to start speedwork.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    thanks guys - I feel much better :)

I managed to get my HRM uploaded, in the 6 repeats I dropped my heartrate by just over 20 beats per minute between peaks and troughs, while maintaining jogging after my intensity stopped (if that makes sense) so I'm pretty happy that I can drop my heartrate like that while still jogging. I think!