Over 300 lbs...need motivation

Options
So I had a baby last July and I have slowly been gaining. My husband and I are so exhausted after working we have just turned into couch potatoes. I weighed yesterday and I am 335 lbs! I was 275 when I got pregnant. OMG..thats 60lbs! How did this happen?

Any motivation or tips? I put in my goal to lose 2 lbs a week. They calories goal is 1750 calories. Is this too much or too little?

HELP!!!

Replies

• LO1421
    LO1421 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think if you stick to a healthy clean (unprocessed) diet you should be fine with 1750. I weigh 289.4 and have been able to eat under my calorie intake which is making my total 1250-1650 daily. Oh and tooooonnnnnnssss of water! Congrats on the new baby and you totally got this!!
  • LO1421
    LO1421 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    oh and my friend has two very little girls and began the Focus T25 workout. It's an hour workout in 25 minutes. She has lost a ton of inches and looks amazing!! I ordered the DVDs and am waiting to get it in the mail so I can get my transformation underway like she did. Did I mention...You got this!!! You can do anything you set your mind to!
  • AcctgChicka83
    AcctgChicka83 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you! And You got this too!!!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    here is my suggestion: start at just trying to meet the calorie goal. When it comes down to it, if you are burning more than you take in, you will lose weight.

Also - keep in mind there are no "bad foods" There are foods with more vitamins and nutritional content, and there are foods that don't have that, but that doesn't make them evil. So if you have a cookie, or a piece of cake or something, log it and move on. Don't beat yourself up for eating "unhealthy." Again, at least to start, it's all about the calories in whatever form they come in.

When I started over 2 years ago, i tried to dive into all of it. When I failed at that, i decided i needed to take a step back and approach this from the mindset that i was going to change my behavior for the rest of my life. I ended up losing 50+ lbs, (i reset my weight this year so my ticker says 1). It took a long time, but I can be (relatively) sure that weight isn't coming back because my habits have changed. i do things differently. and that's made the biggest difference.
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    With you on this one! I weighed in the other day at a fitness challenge and almost cried... apparently my scale decided I was too heavy.... 25 lbs ago.
  • _meganlynn_
    Options
    feel free to request me. maybe we can help one another get to where we want to be. I lost little over 40lbs a few years ago and packed it all back on and then some. now I am lost on how to start over and get going again. I weighed in at 283 the other day.
  • MissBeckyA
    MissBeckyA Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    344 here and am sick about it. Hopefully with MFP I can get on track and make a drastic lifestyle change.
  • MissBeckyA
    MissBeckyA Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    344 here and am sick about it. Hopefully with MFP I can get on track and make a drastic lifestyle change.
  • AmberRamos123
    AmberRamos123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am right where you are. I started last week weighing 336 pounds. The calorie goal it gave me was 2200. I can easily stay under that. Drink TONS of water. The first week i am down 7lbs. You can do this! Add me, we can motivate each other. ☺
  • BelieveNurSELFIE
    BelieveNurSELFIE Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat I started a few weeks ago at 334. It's a slow process weightloss. But I was able to make small changes such as tracking my calories, drinking 120oz of water daily!!!! and no more fast food runs. I also increased my fiber, veggies and fruits. As yourself I set a 2lbs a week goal which is achievable with 3-5 days a excercise (at least for me). But obviously starting slow and building up to it. As of now I'm down 7 lbs and wish you well on your journey
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards, post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about weight loss.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than a butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We all fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support each other
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. It's easier to lift weights than continue the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. Take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile
  • amoreterno1116
    Options
    Hi im new here how do you add someone. I need lots of motivation
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    The biggest tip I can give to all of you is weigh your food!!! Buy a food scale, weigh everything, log by weight, and eat less than you burn. It's that simple, or that complicated.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

It is very doable with the right mindset. I started in May at 325 pounds, now I'm at 259. So still a work in progress, but well on my way.

Best advice I can give is to not completely change everything you do & eat overnight, that is what feeds yo-yo dieting. Start by just getting food under control, if you are having issues with that, go down to 1 or 1.5 pounds a week until you have figured that out, than feel free to move back to 2 pounds a week if you want. As you lose you will feel that you have more energy, if you want to move more, that is great, but you don't have to for weight loss. (For health & fitness it helps to move more, but it is not needed for weight loss)

For me it just started out with logging my food, then logging less calories, then a little bit of walking, and has escalated since then to road biking and weight lifting. However, what I do for exercise and food now, would not have worked when I started, I would have burnt out (like I've done in the past) and quit. So start slowly, don't overwhelm yourself, and enjoy the shrinking!

Just keep in mind that you really need to make changes that you can live with for the rest of your life, not just for now. That is the key to long term sustainable success.

Good luck!
  • div9diva44
    div9diva44 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Having trouble adding friends but feel free to add me if you need someone to cheer for ya! The journey is hard.. But a lot easier and fun with friends! Keep up the good work everyone!
  • LadyLashay
    Options
    I was 352 lbs in December of 2013. I was told by my doctor that she was surprised I hadn't had a heart attack and died. She hurt my feelings really bad. I went into depression, but then when I realized I could change my life and my doctor :-). I started my new life. Plus my kids were worried about me. I started working out and try to eat less. I only so a small weight loss. I decided to get on Mfp and it really helped to track my food and workouts. Im 300lbs, really 296 but that water weight be kicking my butt. The doctor I have now is a little better instead of criticism she trys to help me. Im far from my goal weight but im definitely not where I was. At first my calorie goal was at 1200 after losing some weight mfp changed it to 1600 I just maintained weight with that many calories so today im going back to 1200 healthy calories. I workout 3-5 times a week even if its just walking around the mall. You can do it just put your whole heart into it.
  • LadyLashay
    Options
    Sorry for all the typos. My smartphone think it knows what I want to say.
  • mkasarda570
    mkasarda570 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was once 310.4,and fat my whole life until February of 2004 when I made the decision to change. It has been a challenge but oh so worth it. Here's the thing... You don't have to be perfect to achieve success. You just have to be dedicated and determined even when you hit a snag. Life has a way of throwing us crap. Please friend me if you want. Where you are, I have been. You are amazing and brave and most especially deserving of all the benefits that your hard work brings you!!
  • AcctgChicka83
    Options
    Thanks everyone! And congrats to all of you for (1) making a change in your life and (2) for all of those who have lost weight!!! Feel free to add me. The more help...the better!
  • AcctgChicka83
    Options
    PS...I lost 6lbs last week!!!! Mostly just getting my calories under control. And I even ate out once with the hubby. :D