Benefits:Too fat to work

Options
2»

Replies

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    almost speechless, but with a morbidly obese sister who won't lift a finger to help herself, not entirely surprised.
  • thisisabbie
    thisisabbie Posts: 522 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Why should people who actually discipline themselves have to pay for someone who doesn't? Obesity can be helped. It's not a real disability. Eat less.
    megladgrl wrote: »
    Obesity is not a disability it's a choice.

I'm sorry, but blanket statements like this really get me. That's like saying all Muslims are members of ISIS, or all Christians are members of the KKK. Not cool, at all!

Not EVERYONE who is obese, is that way simply due to eating too much. Accidents, medical conditions, all can play a part. Yes, some people are just lazy and eat bad, but don't put everyone in the same box because it is quite disrespectful (and potentially disheartening/upsetting) to those who don't actually have the control they would like...

As for the show, I didn't see it.. But i'm glad after hearing the stories of some of their attitudes mentioned in earlier posts! But yes, all countries probably have people scamming the system... And if it's not due to obesity, it'll be something else... Some people just don't like working, and will find any excuse unfortunately :(
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    king-size_homer.png

That Simpsons episode was the first thing that came to my mind.

Dr. Nick: Instead of making sandwiches with bread, use pop tarts. Instead of chewing gum, chew bacon.
    Bart: You could brush your teeth with milkshakes.
    Dr. Nick: Hey, did you go to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College too?
  • kal900
    kal900 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Didnt dare watch it.. knew I'd be fuming. Last January I was 20+ stone... oops, technically obese and in a bad place... still working for myself though, no benefits for me.
    Sometimes obesity is due to genuine illness, but most of the time, as proven, it's down to slovenly, lazy, badly educated bludgers. There is no excuse... my god, what I'd give for the dole to pay for a gym pass for me.. never gonna happen... and yet they get to sit on their ever-increasing arses without a care in the world.
    .gov should cut their dole, or give them hampers. In the long run nhs pays more to look after them so .gov should be doing all they can to encourage/pay for gym access instead of readies for beer and maccy d's
    and waits...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Whats your point? A tv company which seeks out this sort of sensationalism has found some people who are using their weight as an excuse to not earn a living and stay on benefits? Is it just these individuals or are you claiming this is common?

Some people dont care about their weight and just exist. Is that so surprising, that their lives are reduced to that? If they were to try and get a job, then Im aftaid they would have little chance not only because of the prejudice they would face, but because their attitude is right down there, which normally goes to low self esteem and low aspirations.

Its just typical Channel 5 and DM dross to demonise people on benefits and outrage their viewers/ readers. Oh the horror of it.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    That's a hard one. Where do you make the line? What if the disabilities were the result of a life of too much liquor? What if the disability was the result of an auto accident while speeding? Yes, you can always find a few individuals who will use their own bad behaviors to game a system but most folks don't. It is extraordinarily difficult for any system to build a set of rules that will separate the few cheats from the many who truly need the help. So the better system would be to give folks appropriate help such that they get what they truly need.

I think you've raised some valid points. The other thing to consider is mental health. How many mentally together people have weight that's THAT out of control? Are folks who are 700lbs genuinely happy, driven, and motivated, or are they perhaps secretly struggling with depression or an untreated injury that makes walking difficult? If these folks had the tools to handle their relationships with food better, they probably wouldn't be on tv.

The "system" as it were, isn't set up to help people mitigate their issues. Give them food and shelter and maybe a pat on the head, but that's it. Anyone who "gets out of the system" does so because they're individually motivated and driven. In the case of these folks, if it hurts to walk to the bus, if you can't fit into your car, if they don't make work clothes or office chairs that are comfortable, I would imagine that it starts to feel pretty hopeless.

So yeah, if my tax dollars are going to fund public programs anyway, why not fund programs that address the underlying causes, and not just treat the symptoms?
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    It's like when my students ask to be rewarded for correct answers with candy. Have some self-respect. I know working sucks, but you (the person too fat to work) suck way more than work. And that's saying something.
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I watched it and shouted atthe telly so much... The kebebs, the bolognaise, the poor carer cleaning them, the attitude of the young scottish girl "its not my fault". I could go on - I was nearly 20 stone 10 years ago (one of my photos) and I worked damn hard at my job! It never occured to me I was 'sick'........
  • fat_beyonce
    fat_beyonce Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The reason I posted it was that I wanted know other people's views on the topic and the cases involved, whilst Channel 5 will have produced the show for commercial gain, it doesn't excuse the behaviour of those featured.

There are people of a similar weight and bigger who are able to find suitable employment and keep it. Whilst their size does limit their actions to some extent, they seemed to be able to find a way to get down to Iceland (a UK supermarket) to buy more food within the show and ferry it home yet at the same time complain they are pretty much immobile, therefore they cannot work.

One of the individuals who is more than qualified to get a senior PA role said she doesn't even apply for anything above entry level as she's scared what employers would say about her size. To make things worse with her being overqualified for an entry level position she's effectively continuing the cycle, barring herself from success. I find the complacency shown across the program to be terrible, as said earlier on where's their fighting spirit?
    999tigger wrote: »
    Whats your point? A tv company which seeks out this sort of sensationalism has found some people who are using their weight as an excuse to not earn a living and stay on benefits? Is it just these individuals or are you claiming this is common?

Some people dont care about their weight and just exist. Is that so surprising, that their lives are reduced to that? If they were to try and get a job, then Im aftaid they would have little chance not only because of the prejudice they would face, but because their attitude is right down there, which normally goes to low self esteem and low aspirations.

Its just typical Channel 5 and DM dross to demonise people on benefits and outrage their viewers/ readers. Oh the horror of it.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    They look so unhappy.