Samsung gear 2 .. anyone use one ?

Options
jyogit
jyogit Posts: 280 Member
I'm a bit of a gadget man on the quiet and have been reading on here about certain fitness gadgets, but i fancy the Samsung gear 2 smart watch. As well as the fitness side it offers i would benefit from the mp3 player and bluetooth ability etc etc .. has anyone got one or tried one ? .. the fitbit looks and sounds good but to me having to hook up to the pc to see the results is a bit proactive and i sure would get bored with it easily .. and the thought of the wristband with just 5 led's on it is just putting me off that idea.. i would like to know what I've been burning and how many miles etc etc during my day and i think that would keep me interested in it all at last ..ive tried the acupedo app on my iPhone and on my samsung s5 and thats great info to have but have to carry the phone about with me while exercising.

Any thoughts ?

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I use the Bodymedia band and it connects by Bluetooth to my phone so I can check all the numbers anytime I want.

Does the Gear 2 work by itself as a fitness tracker? As in, it counts steps separate from the phone? I ask because I just upgraded to the Galaxy Note 3 and it has a fitness tracker app. I won't be using it since my Bodymedia is far superior to the app, but it makes me wonder if the Gear 2 actually counts steps, or if it just reflects whatever the phone counts with it's fitness app.
  • jyogit
    Options
    yes the gear 2 works independently and with the phone to count steps so i believe..also heart rate etc ..
    Also i fancy the gear 2 as it has a built in mp3 player that works with bluetooth headset ..so no wires and no phone to carry around :) .. I'm not going to buy right away as I'm sure theres a new one on the horizon and xmas is coming up .. unless i can pick up a bargain in New York next month :)
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/wearables/gear/SM-R3800GNABTU
  • Enlightened2014
    Options
    I love gadgets too, that is a lot of money for a bunch of toys you get with your phones. I went with the Polar FT80 with a real heart rate strap, and it syncs with most of the equipment at the gym. And is pretty hard core on your weight training and tracking. Polar make some for a lot less money that I believe are much more accurate than taking your pulse off your wrist. They make the LED all in one type for about $100 on the low end.

I don't know the accuracy a couple personal trainers recommended the polar brand, and I have been very happy for about 1 year now. If I just walking or hiking I use the MapMyWalk app on my phone and let it sync with MFP when done.
  • jyogit
    Options
    yes, the price is a tad on the steep side i guess, but it doubles as a watch etc etc too .. lol .. i will check out the ones mentioned too ..thanks for the heads up.
    i might as well buy myself a xmas present that i will get use out of :glasses:
  • allyouneedisabby
    allyouneedisabby Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    With the Fitbit Flex, you can sync it to any smartphone with Bluetooth capability to see how many steps, calories, miles, etc. you are at throughout the day. Since you have an Iphone and a Galaxy s5, you should have no issues with seeing the numbers on the screen! (I'm a bit biased though, because I love my Fitbit and am so beyond happy with the purchase I made 5 months ago! :D)
  • tpt42087
    tpt42087 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

jyogit wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a gadget man on the quiet and have been reading on here about certain fitness gadgets, but i fancy the Samsung gear 2 smart watch. As well as the fitness side it offers i would benefit from the mp3 player and bluetooth ability etc etc .. has anyone got one or tried one ? .. the fitbit looks and sounds good but to me having to hook up to the pc to see the results is a bit proactive and i sure would get bored with it easily .. and the thought of the wristband with just 5 led's on it is just putting me off that idea.. i would like to know what I've been burning and how many miles etc etc during my day and i think that would keep me interested in it all at last ..ive tried the acupedo app on my iPhone and on my samsung s5 and thats great info to have but have to carry the phone about with me while exercising.

Any thoughts ?

I recently got the Gear 2 watch, I am in love with it fitness wise! I also have a polar hrm watch woth the chest strap I see not difference in my heart rate when using either they both are very accurate. I love that the watch isn't very big or bulky and pretty much goes woth everything, tells me my steps taken, calories burned miles walked. You have to set a personal profile hight weight age gender. I prefer my Gear 2 over my Polar watch
  • charli0329
    charli0329 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    tpt42087 wrote: »
    jyogit wrote: »

Any thoughts ?

I recently got the Gear 2 watch, I am in love with it fitness wise! I also have a polar hrm watch woth the chest strap I see not difference in my heart rate when using either they both are very accurate. I love that the watch isn't very big or bulky and pretty much goes woth everything, tells me my steps taken, calories burned miles walked. You have to set a personal profile hight weight age gender. I prefer my Gear 2 over my Polar watch

How do you sync the samsung watch with MFP? I recently started using the gear fit and I can't find a way to sync them.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

[/quote]

How do you sync the samsung watch with MFP? I recently started using the gear fit and I can't find a way to sync them.
    [/quote]

I have the Gear 2. I use the Endomondo app to sync my workout to MFP. I didn't like the heart rate monitor on the gear, ( it will only take your pulse while you are resting), so I bought a chest strap (Polar H7) to track my heart rate. The Endomondo app will read the heart rate from my chest strap.

I use the Gear 2 to track my steps and sleep, but I don't want to synch those to MFP. Using the Mp3 player on the watch drains the battery rather quickly, do if you use it, you will need to charge you watch more often.