Gaaaaah jeans frustrations

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
I bought a few jeans a few months ago, and now they are getting too baggy at the butt/thighs... but fit perfectly at the waist with no muffin top (I'm a large frame, 30 inch waist, and unlikely to go much under).

They're size 6, Lee brand, relaxed fit, they're high rise, which is pretty much a requirement for me, as I have a high waist and a couple stubborn pounds on the hips and quite a bit of loose skin on my stomach - profile pic is recent - which means that I get a muffin top if I get anything low rise. As I said though, they're perfect at the waist, and a size 4 would probably be too tight (although I haven't tried).

I have a cat who has ruined a bunch of jeans so I only buy cheap jeans too, which I guess doesn't help, but I swear those jeans fit great when I bought them... and now, not so much.

Am I doomed to stick to dresses and leggings (although arguably most leggings are too low rise as well so it's another nightmare).

Replies

• vchutchings
    vchutchings Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a size 7 or 5? Different brands?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I just bought Gap jeans a couple of weeks ago. I only bought them because I needed new jeans and because they were 40% off. They are the best dang jeans I have ever put on.

Perfect mid waist, big enough for my legs and look super on. I am a size 4 and their size 4 is called 27s. I also bought the boyfriend jeans that were 70% off and they are fantastic..

Can't afford them unless they are on sale but they are they best I have had!

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,423 Member
    Options
    My jeans bag in the *kitten* and thighs and I have muffin top even though the waist is not tight, due to my history of very high obesity and four kids, lol. I'll trade you.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I hate all the stretchy jeans for that reason. I hate it when they get baggy in the bum. My favorite jeans I got from a thrift shop, and since they are older they don't have the stretch. When I do buy them stretchy, I go a bit snug in the dressing room, knowing they are going to bag out.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    You have to try on different jeans, they're all cut and sewn differently. I have wide hips and no butt, and I like Old Navy's "Flirt" style although they are probably too low-waisted for you. But jeans are really specific to body types so I'm sure you'll be able to find some that look amazing on your new type of "fit & hot" :)
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    OK, I may get beat up here because I am not a woman, but I would try same brand and size, but a non-relaxed fit. For men, that would usually get you the same rise and waist, but less room in butt and thighs. For me I had to learn to buy "regular" instead of "relaxed" styles.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I normally hang my jeans to dry so they don't shrink. However, it sounds like yours could use a little shrinking. Maybe stick them in the dryer and see if that helps?

Also, I find that different brands all fit differently. Try a bunch on and see what you love!

If you want cheap jeans, Walmart (which I hate) has Riders jeans that have a higher waist that run about $15-$20...they used to be the only kind that fit me perfectly...until they changed the style some. They're a bit straighter through the hip and thigh now--from looking at your picture, that may be perfect for you. If you're worried about loose skin or the stubborn pounds, these may be great for you--the fabric had enough body that I felt like it held me in place well.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time finding jeans that fit right, but I can usually find something at Target and Old Navy. They're not that expensive either!
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    OK, I may get beat up here because I am not a woman, but I would try same brand and size, but a non-relaxed fit. For men, that would usually get you the same rise and waist, but less room in butt and thighs. For me I had to learn to buy "regular" instead of "relaxed" styles.

Exactly. If you have slim hips and thighs, you don't need relaxed fit jeans.
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Spanx! They will suck that muffin top in. I don't know where I'd be without them!
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I really like Express jeans...and they go on sale all the time. I have to get talls so I order online and return to the store the ones that don't fit. I use to like Gap, but fine their fits to be odd now, plus they stretch out too much after a couple of hours.
  • Francl27
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »

I actually used to have the straight kind and it was worse! I guess I should try another brand, I don't think any of that one will fit me... I'll try Old Navy next, lol.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I have the hardest time finding jeans. I'm 5'5" 122 lbs, 26" waist 34" hips - you might think I shouldn't have a big problem with jeans, but I do.

First of all, when I was 30 lbs heavier I was wearing size 4 jeans at American Eagle. Now...I'm still wearing size 4 jeans at American Eagle. Sure, they're getting a little too loose, but their size 2s are too small. At JC Penney, half of their size 3s fit me and the rest are either too big or too small to button up. I had two pairs of the same exact brand/style of jeans, but different washes, and one fit while the other didn't. It makes no sense!

High-waisted jeans make me look frumpy, but it seems high-waisted is all stores are selling now. I looked everywhere for low rise slim fit jeggings and found nothing that looked right - they all either sagged in the butt, the crotch, or the backs of my knees. I have two pairs from American Eagle that I love and they still fit, but that's all I'm working with.

Ladies, we can't win! Overweight or not, jeans aren't our friends.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

Those are juniors sizes. She might even be a 9 in those, depending on brand and cut. And she's unlikely to find high waists (unless that's what the kids are wearing--wait, is that what the kids are wearing? I have no clue anymore.)
  • Francl27
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I wish there was a 'jeans fit search' tool online or something, lol. My waist is 30 inches, my hips 37, so it's pretty hard to find jeans that don't give me a muffin top. And then it's too loose on the butt and legs.

Maybe I should get jeggings, but I really don't want to.

Oh and when I meant cheap jeans, I meant I don't want to spend more than $25 on them, so it's really tough... but I swear I bought the relaxed fit especially because they fit great... at the time. But of course apparently I'm doomed to lose fat everywhere except my hips (and stomach maybe but who can tell with all that loose skin anyway).
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I think jeans are made to drive us all crazy! I have gone back to Levis but even now I have to try on pair after pair to make sure they are the right fit.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I had the absolute hardest time finding jeans for my 10 year old before school started. We ended up having the best luck at Burlington Coat Factory. They had jeans in every style, size and they were originally priced from super cheap all the way up to designer prices.

Turns out we had to find them in a lot of different sizes and she just had to keep trying on everything. She wears a girls 16 or a womans 0 or 2, at least until the next growth spurt. I was amazed at how much the sizes can vary. Shes too tall for most girls jeans and womens jeans are ALL low rise.

I know for a fact you can still buy mid-rise but i cant remember where. Maybe walmart ???

I am currently wearing sizes from a 7 to an 11 depending where they were made. It's insane.
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Those are juniors sizes. She might even be a 9 in those, depending on brand and cut. And she's unlikely to find high waists (unless that's what the kids are wearing--wait, is that what the kids are wearing? I have no clue anymore.)

Yep. High waist is the new thing.