Adjustable Dumbbells

Options
Looking for input, at home I use dumbbells for all my workouts and looking to go adjustable. I'm looking at the iron masters and the core fitness ones, already ruled it a few. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I don't have an opinion between the two brands, but from experience, I've learned that the adjustable to tend to break fairly frequently. I just have an entire range of individual weights now.
  • jrwac77
    jrwac77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's the reason i'm down to these 2. The ironmasters are basically based on regular free weights with no plastic, all metal, i'm hesitant on the core fitness ones.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with those brands. I have a set of Weider adjustables at home - 25 lb each. The only issue I've ever had with them is that sometimes they get a little stuck. So, it takes a little longer to switch weights than just click-click-lift. Not too bad, though.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing a search for any reviews? I always do that and then read the bad reviews first. If every bad review is focused on the same problem, then I tend to stay away.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    don't know anything about those two. I loved my bowflex ones, until I dropped and broke one.
    But even then, I was doing Asylum, half dead during the jumping portion of the cardio dumbbell video, and injured... and dropped it while the weight was up over my head and I was airborne.

If you just plan on using the weights for typical bodybuilding type workouts, the durability isn't much of an issue. but if you plan on using them for pushup handles or kettle bell type swings or anything a little off the wall they are iffy.

That being said, I've seen adjustables where you put your hand into something that looks like a cage. I'd avoid those.

I personally would not buy the ones where you put individual plates on and then screw on a collar. just too much of a pain in the *kitten* to adjust mid workout. Although a good money saving idea might be to buy just a few individual dumbbells in the range that you most frequently use and then get adjustable ones like these to fill in gaps from workout to workout.

the other thing about any form of adjustable dumbbell is that they will be that much longer then any individual dumbbells, which makes some exercises a tiny bit different and it can be annoying.

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i also super glued the piece that broke (actually JB weld) and its perfectly fine to use for typical lifts. if it does fail, i'll have to worry about a 2.5 lbs plate dropping. plan on following my own advice and getting 20/25/30/35 or something like that as dedicated single dumbbells. I don't even have a bench at home, i just use them for the videos.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I like PowerBlocks a lot. Been using them for 4 years and they've never broken. The only minor downside: 10 pound plates, with two 2.5 pound cores to adjust the weight. This lets you do 10 pounds, 12.5 pounds, 15 pounds, and 20 pounds; but not 17.5 pounds. But that hasn't been a big problem for me. You can get PowerBlock sets with very heavy weights, up to 90 pounds, I think.
  • jrwac77
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, keep it coming.

No_Finish_Line - Most of my workout is around bodybuilding / strength training moves so not much in regards to swinging them around. There are a couple that I do where I will just either use the ones I have now or just find alternatives to the lifts. I also agree with you on the downsides of the regular dumbbells, then you have many different plates that you have to change between. I also don't want to have an extensive dumbbell collection at home taking up space. Once I get out of a set I rarely go back to that weight, or I want just 5lbs more / less to add more resistance and I may not have that available.

Raynne413 - I have read reviews on probably 3 or 4 different sites, even dug into "expert" reviews but sometimes good candid feedback also helps. I usually kill myself with research before buying most things (thanks to the internet) to make sure I get what i'm looking for.
  • jrwac77
    Options
    rick_po wrote: »
    I like PowerBlocks a lot. Been using them for 4 years and they've never broken. The only minor downside: 10 pound plates, with two 2.5 pound cores to adjust the weight. This lets you do 10 pounds, 12.5 pounds, 15 pounds, and 20 pounds; but not 17.5 pounds. But that hasn't been a big problem for me. You can get PowerBlock sets with very heavy weights, up to 90 pounds, I think.

Do you find them cumbersome at all?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have had the Bowflex adjustable dumbbells for 7 years. They seem to get a bad rap but mine have been great. I think the key to them is not dropping them like you would a normal dumbbell.

I really like the Ironmasters and whenever my Bowflex's do break, there's no doubt that's what I'd replace them with.

Forgot to add - the Powerblocks suck IMO. I tried them out @ the local fitness equipment store and they're very cumbersome. They would drive me nuts to use them.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    jrwac77 wrote: »
    Do you find them cumbersome at all?

For me, even fixed heavy dumbbells are cumbersome, so yeah, they aren't the easiest things to lug around. The only things I want to do that are too hard with PowerBlocks are heavy goblet squats and skull crushers. Probably any two-handed single-dumbbell lift would be hard, unless it is so light you can hold them with the cage bars instead of the center grip. The newer line with tapered handles are easier to grip, which makes a difference for lifts with some swing in them, like curls or kickbacks.

I use a barbell for most of my workouts, so the PowerBlocks aren't my primary piece of equipment. But I use them a lot, and they work great for me.
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I LOVE adjustable dumbbells. My husband and I have had a set of bowflex for years and years (maybe a decade?) and they work great. they are bigger then regular dumbbells, which is sometimes annoying, but i dont have a ton of space to store those heavier hand weights, so the trade off is totally worth it.

Recently, i also bought a set of power blocks for lighter weights. i have only had it about a month, so i cant speak to how well it will wear, but it is easy to use, well designed and so much better than having all of those little free weights around.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I own and would recommend the Ironmasters. Reasons I chose IM were space savings, ability to drop, expandable to 160 lbs per dumbbell and lifetime guarantee. If you need quick weight changes though the Powerblocks may be a better choice. If you plan to do a progressive weight lifting program you will probably outgrow either dumbbell’s maximum weight, especially for the heavier lifts. But that okay you can always still use the dumbbells for other lifts.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the Ironmasters for sure, if you have the $$$. I'd love to have them but they are mega $$ (I think it was $850 shipped for the pair that I wanted). They generally seem to get the best reviews and the simple, all-metal design seems like it would last the longest. You're gonna drop a DB eventually. Plus, they are expandable as you need more weight.

Probably takes a little longer to switch weights but that's not really a big deal.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I looked into buying some adjustables, too, but I now prefer the range of different dumbbells that I collected over time. I work a lot of supersets (need to switch weights for different exercises) and taking so much time to switch plates kind of defeats the purpose of a superset without rest times. I train at home in limited space, but it's really not an issue.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't know the brand that they have in the gym in my building, but they have a square shape and you add modules. They're really awkward to use and were chosen because we have a small space. They're also complicated to change around. I hate them.

Luckily, I belong to the Y and rarely use my gym.