I just CANNOT do a proper squat

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1.) if you can *kitten* you can squat.
    2.) practice.
    3.) a barbell squat will not be the same as a free weight/body weight squat.
    4.) practice some more
    5.) work on mobility
    6.) practice more
    7.) work on balance
    8.) keep practicing.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    A couple of suggestions... First for balance--work on some yoga balance moves. Do them for a couple of minutes every day. As we grow older, we lose some sense of balance, but you can 'train' yourself to maintain it. Then for the squats--have you considered trying wall squats or using the TRX to help with your balance? I am personally a huge fan of the TRX--I'm not having balance issues with my squats, but I like that I can go nice and deep and the straps are there if I ever run into trouble!
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Widen your stance at first until you get the feel of things. Over time, you can bring your feet closer to shoulder width if you feel the need to. Also, make sure your feet are turned out some, not pointing straight ahead.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I squat with a bar and have to take a wide stance. It is the only way to make space for my butt...does that make sense?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    It is likely mobility issues (I have the same issue with overhead squats). The primary spots to work on are hips, knees and ankles. Mobility WOD is a great place to start. Each morning I go to crossfit, I work on getting into a deep squat position and will use bands to “floss” the joints in the hip. I’ll also use the wall to work on mobility in my ankles.

I’m going to guess you have an office job, as sitting for hours is a major issue for mobility. If you can, get a standing desk (I have an adjustable so I stand for part of the day and sit on a stability ball for the rest, alternating every hour or so). Otherwise, make sure you take plenty of breaks from sitting (e.g., stand up for calls, walk during breaks, take the long way to meetings).

And finally, consider trying different types of stances. I can do the goblet and sumo squat very well, am ok on a back and bodyweight squat, so so on a front squat, and suck at overhead squats. I know this is a function of my mobility, and slowly, it is getting better.

• Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I had to do squats against a wall for the longest time! Basically, I'd get far enough away from the wall that my butt would touch it when I got to the bottom. I had to get used to the feel of it mentally I guess :) Just having the wall back there so I knew I wouldn't go over backward somehow made me feel better. At least if I went over backward I wouldn't go too far...
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    2.) practice.
    4.) practice some more
    5.) work on mobility
    6.) practice more
    7.) work on balance
    8.) keep practicing.

I can't do a deep body weight squat without holding onto anything for the life of me. I need the barbell to balance properly and hit below parellel. But the more I practise the better I get
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    2.) practice.
    4.) practice some more
    5.) work on mobility
    6.) practice more
    7.) work on balance
    8.) keep practicing.

I can't do a deep body weight squat without holding onto anything for the life of me. I need the barbell to balance properly and hit below parellel. But the more I practise the better I get

yes and yes....-even my unweighted barbell squat looks like trash- the movement just feels different- but more practice- and doing it regularly helps- tremendously.

I can't do my weighted barbell squat *form* without holding on to something- it's almost comical.

The stretch using the rack holding on and sitting back- I do that regularly- it's good for you LOL.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    LoryBear wrote: »
    (I've been trying for about 3 months now, usually once a day. Still no progress in the balance department.)
    That's the problem.

Post up a video with a loaded barbell on your back going through the ROM.

Do the stretching. Remember it's not different from squatting down to drop the kids off at the pool.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    LoryBear wrote: »
    I've watched endless videos on form, foot placement, etc., but when I put my feet shoulder width apart and try to go anywhere near parallel or below parallel (looking for glute activation here), I completely lose my balance and have to hold on to something, and I can tell however lightly I place my hand against a door or something, it's taking away from my glute activation.
    Why can't I balance when I try to do squats? I put my weight on my heels and I keep my back straight, I just start teetering as soon as I try to get to my desired lowness.

(I've been trying for about 3 months now, usually once a day. Still no progress in the balance department.)

It sounds like you're sitting back correctly into the squat and just losing balance on the descent. Honestly, it might just be a lack of Core strength that is causing you to lose balance. Unfortunately the Core musculature is often under appreciated in how much it impacts your movement and ability to conduct other exercises. Often on MFP people just say squat and DL and you'll develop your Core. While that's true to a certain degree, additional Core work is necessary. It's hard for me to accurately assess what's happening without seeing you move, but I would suggest start with a couple weeks of Core training and other basic leg strengthening exercises such as lunges and step-ups. Remember that your Core is also referred to as the Lumbo-Pelvic Hip Complex and includes many muscles other than just the abs and obliques. Basically it's your lower back (quadratus lumborum), Psoas (hips), obliques, ab's, gluteus medius, and I think I'm forgetting one... Apologies, I have to remember so much crap for school that sometimes stuff gets jumbled. :/

Somebody also eluded to flexibility and that is also a likely cause. Before exercise it's a good idea to perform some foam rolling and some kind of stretching; stretching is not this awful thing that some folks make it out to be. If you're not moving right, then you're not exercising right and you'll hurt yourself in-time.
  • byvanzant
    byvanzant Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was told to get a chair and simply start to sit and then pop back up so have your butt hit the chair then come back up again. After a time of doing this your form will learn how to do it without a chair.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    byvanzant wrote: »
    I was told to get a chair and simply start to sit and then pop back up so have your butt hit the chair then come back up again. After a time of doing this your form will learn how to do it without a chair.
    That's how I started. Box squat with a resistance band to keep my knees in place, a normal box squat, a low box squat, an air squat, and finally dumbbell squats! My trainer has made it his personal mission to teach me squats and I'm learning slowly but surely.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Here's an article you might helpful:

http://bretcontreras.com/finding-your-ideal-squat-depth/

Even if you currently can't get to parallel, you can still improve. However there's no reason to keep beating yourself up to get to an ideal that might not be physically possible at this moment.
  • tinbru
    tinbru Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try wall sits and widen your feet
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    People mentioned squatting from the bottom, and possible mobility problems. There's a good stretch Rippetoe uses to teach squat form and position, and it also helps with some mobility problems. He's got a guy doing it in the first couple minutes here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have that same problem. My trainer figured out I have extremely weak hip flexors which cannot support me in the right position as I lean back to squat. I end up leaning forward (knees to far past toes) to compensate.

I'm supposed to be strengthening my flexors to correct the problem. Until then, how should I squat without reinforcing bad form? With the suggestions to use a wall, pole, etc. to hold so the motion stays in right track?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I have that same problem. My trainer figured out I have extremely weak hip flexors which cannot support me in the right position as I lean back to squat. I end up leaning forward (knees to far past toes) to compensate.

I'm supposed to be strengthening my flexors to correct the problem. Until then, how should I squat without reinforcing bad form? With the suggestions to use a wall, pole, etc. to hold so the motion stays in right track?

I would suggest that you not do any barbell squats for the time being then. Do some Core stability work and do other things for your legs, probably for about 4 weeks and then have you trainer re-evaluate. If your trainer is NASM certified then talk with him / her about phase 1 of the OPT Model, that's were you need to be right now.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I sometimes keep a bench right behind me when working on going deeper so I'm less than an inch or so from actually sitting - or do actually sit if my weight goes too far back
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

I would suggest that you not do any barbell squats for the time being then. Do some Core stability work and do other things for your legs, probably for about 4 weeks and then have you trainer re-evaluate. If your trainer is NASM certified then talk with him / her about phase 1 of the OPT Model, that's were you need to be right now.

Thanks, I'll ask about it
  • javonn_williams
    Options
    To improve balance it's usually your butt not being out far enough. Squats try to have your chest over your toes & your butt completely as far back as you ca. while
    Keeping your back straight you should
    Look like a gurilla straight backed *kitten* Out chest out