macro ratios a issue at 249lb?

Options
Hello all, first post here. Started with my weight loss journey on the first of january like alot im sure, lol. Either way my question is being 249 lb like i am right now should i be worried about my macro ratios or is that something to worry about later down the road? Last few days ive been trying to hit 40-40-20 (fat) but i find i have to eat alot to get the protein up there. In the mean time im still staying under my goal of 1730 calories a day.

my only issue with it is that before i tried to keep the macros right i was getting along fine finishing off the day at no more than 1400-1500 cal. So just wondering if the macro ratio is worth the extra food at this point? I was by no means starving myself at 1500 calories.

Also after a week i've dropped 6lb, weighing myself consistently same ti e under same conditions, even put the scale in the exact same place on the floor, lol. Im attributing this to water weight and begginers body shock, lol. Does this sound right?

Replies

• jamesbhynes
    Options
    Anyone?
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The Institute of Medicine recommends the following breakdown of calories for adults:
    Carbs - 45% - 65%
    Fat - 20% - 35%
    Protein - 10%-35%
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    No not really.....40/40/20 isn't magic, even though it use to be.
  • NSimone27
    NSimone27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    personally I never look at my macros (which I know isn't great... I eat WAY too much chocolate ie. fat!) but just staying within my calorie goal really made me see weight loss results! maybe it has more impact when you're trying to gain muscle and not just lose fat? I think for now when you're just starting out you should be fine just watching your calories :) congrats on your 6 lbs loss!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Focus on getting your calories down first and worry about macros later.

One thing about macros is that there are many ratios that can be perfectly good and that picking the right ones is more a matter of personal preference and how it affects you. MFP's are just averages of recommended amounts, but total grams for some of them (like protein) matters more than percentage.

Typically, what I think works is to focus on calories and track for a while and see where they are. Then if you are having any issues, like being low on protein or being tired/low energy or feeling hungry too often you can look at the macros and try different ways of adjusting them.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Just stay within your calorie goal. You may want to play around with your macros as you start losing. Some people feel better with higher carb, or protein, or fat for that matter. It's really a personal preference. It won't really have any bearing on your weight loss. And yes, that first few lbs is probably water.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you can eat more and lose, do it! I started at 250and the weight flew off. That doesn't last forever.

The more you lose, the harder it gets! You're going to want some wiggle room later! Also, the less of you there is to haul around, the less calories your body will require, so you will have to drop them later. Keep them high now, if you can.

Worry about your macros when you want to worry about them. For me, the hardest thing by far has been sodium, so I always tell people to start there, which isn't really right. You may not have the hard time that I did. Choose what you want to work on...

...and if it's protein, you can join me in the very small club of People Who Don't Really Want All Those Protein Foods, lol. I think we are the only two members, so you can be President every other month. :)

Good luck!! :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    are you just trying to lose fat now, or do you have any other goals…

calorie deficit = fat/weight loss
    macro adherence = body recomp/overall health..

so it depends on your goals...
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I also agree you need to eat more!
  • jamesbhynes
    Options
    Thanks for the for all the advice, really right now weight loss is my main concern, weight training down the road will be the case but i just want to get this extra weight off first. More than 1700? Really? I feel im doing good eating the way i am now, not meaning the weight loss but hunger wise i seem fine. I used to eat alot out of bordom before really, which didnt end up in decent food choices.
  • jamesbhynes
    Options
    By the sounds of everyones advice my calories need some tweeking i guess. Thanks folks!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thanks for the for all the advice, really right now weight loss is my main concern, weight training down the road will be the case but i just want to get this extra weight off first. More than 1700? Really? I feel im doing good eating the way i am now, not meaning the weight loss but hunger wise i seem fine. I used to eat alot out of bordom before really, which didnt end up in decent food choices.

if your main concern is fat loss then don't worry so much about macros…

trying to keep protein up will preserve muscle mass …

do you do any kind of exercise..???
  • jamesbhynes
    Options
    I try to do cardio 3-4 times a week which is usually anywhere from 15-30 minutes on a elliptical. Also my line of work is hanging drywall but i am a foreman so it also involves a fair amount of driving, but when im not its a pretty physically intense job.
  • CEGrant501
    CEGrant501 Posts: 15
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I go for 40/30/30, but I lift weights.

I struggled a bit at the beginning getting the ratios right...but I've started using a protein shake mix that has protein but minimal carbs. That helps me get the protein I need. I also use almonds if I need to add fat AND protein.

The easiest way to get it right is to pre-plan your day. Most evenings I'll put in what I'm likely to eat the following days for meals. Then I can pick my snacks to fill in the gaps. So somedays my snacks might be almonds if I need fat and protein, or a shake if I just need protein, or fruit if I need carbs.

Good luck on your journey. :)

EDIT: I should qualify that I'm looking more to gain muscle and lose fat than actually change my weight, so my goals might not be appropriate for you.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    You never wait to begin weight training. Start now and do it while you're dropping the weight. Your muscles will thank you and you'll look much better, as well.
    Also, I would wager that you should be eating considerably more than 1700 calories.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I try to do cardio 3-4 times a week which is usually anywhere from 15-30 minutes on a elliptical. Also my line of work is hanging drywall but i am a foreman so it also involves a fair amount of driving, but when im not its a pretty physically intense job.

I would recommend a strength program with some progressive overload (heavy lifting), which will help preserve muscle and tighten things up ...

but if you enjoy the cardio, keep doing the cardio ..

• jamesbhynes
    Options
    Thats what ive been doing to get the macros right, planning meals evening before and filling gaps with the snacks, but there is only so much chicken i can eat in one day, lol. Perhaps the proteing supplement would be a hepfull addition to achieve this.
  • jamesbhynes
    Options
    Also another noteable thing to mention is that i broke my wrist a little over 5 months ago so my wrist still isnt 100 percent.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thats what ive been doing to get the macros right, planning meals evening before and filling gaps with the snacks, but there is only so much chicken i can eat in one day, lol. Perhaps the proteing supplement would be a hepfull addition to achieve this.

I have found that pre logging all my meals helps and then I can see where I am short on macros and where I need to fill in other stuff …

also you can protein from eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, turkey, etc…it does not have to be chicken all the time ..