Am I Really Obese??

Options

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I'm just stuck on the 4 pound weight loss in 3 weeks being "disappointing". Seems like a great loss to me.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    andielyn wrote: »
    I also would probably look for a different medical provider if she is prescribing you Phentermine when you weigh 162 lbs.

Agree! Especially the part I bolded. I'd be concerned with being prescribed phentermine if I were you.

This. Why did the physician not first recommend you do sensible calorie reduction and diet improvement? Why leap to phentermine, which has a slew of dangerous side effects, is only to be used short term, and is only for those with a BMI over 30 who have not been able to lose weight through less invasive therapies?

Did the physician give you the appropriate warnings about phentermine?

"Advice to Patients

-Potential for drug to impair mental alertness or physical coordination; avoid driving or operating machinery until effects on individual are known.a b c
    -Importance of immediately informing clinicians if any deterioration in exercise tolerance occurs.154 168 169 b c
    -Importance of informing clinicians of existing or contemplated concomitant therapy, including prescription and OTC drugs, and alcohol consumption.b c
    -Importance of women informing clinicians if they are or plan to become pregnant or plan to breast-feed.b c
    -Importance of informing patients of other important precautionary information.b c (See Cautions.)

Read this and other information for physicians about prescribing this drug at http://www.drugs.com/monograph/phentermine.html
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you went to the doctor because of weight issues. i know it must be hard to hear your classification and let it get you down, but the truth is that you're stepping the right direction.

yes, you are heavy. but you did a lot more than others have. you lost a few pounds in a few short weeks, and i'm sorry your doctor doesn't think that 4 pounds is enough in three weeks. that's BS.

it sucks she prescribed that appetite suppressant right off the bat. i wouldn't take it either, but that's more because i like trying things on my own or naturally before i start taking medicine.

sitting down with a bottle of vodka and a pizza is not the solution. keep logging your food, get some exercise, and keep working hard.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    That's kind of what I was thinking. I was actually surprised when I did some research and discovered that it's usually prescribed for people that need to lose like 50+ pounds instead of about 20-30. I'm hourglass shaped and when I did the hip-waist-chest ratio, it says that I'm on the low normal end of the spectrum. I swear each boob weighs 5lbs and each butt cheek is 10lbs haha It's nice to have confirmation that I'm probably getting anxious over nothing. I still have weight to lose, but this app is keeping me accountable...especially when it comes to drinking. I used to drink a half bottle of vodka a day (if not more) and now I'm not drinking at all, I mean minus about 5 days or so since Nov 17. I try not to log my exercises into the app because it changes how many calories I can eat for the day and I don't want to be lured into overeating. When I change the per week settings in the app, it still sets my cals for 1200. If I go over it, I'm in the red, but if I'm under it, it says I'm eating too little. Make up your mind, MFP! Thanks for the advice :)

That 50 plus pounds is probably a good average estimate for someone a bit taller...you are far from average height, so your body just really isn't going to compare that well to the "average". Also, remember all of those labels cover a wide range...I looked up a chart and for your height as a generalization, anything from 155 ish to 210 ish is considered technically obese...a person who is 200 at your height would need to lose at least 50 but would still be labeled obese instead of the next level up.

Don't put too much stock into that label. As far as the chart goes, you are right on that low end and the chart doesn't really taken into account bone structure. Personally, I'm larger boned and I know I would be a total skeleton at the low end of the "healthy" weight range and not at all healthy, and at the low end of "overweight" I really don't have much to lose but, never the less, my doctor would put me in the overweight category. I have seen a chart that divides height to weight ratios by bone structure too (small, medium, large, extra large).
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I would look at it as where you started.

So maybe you'll be in the obese category for a couple months, maybe less.

Then you'll be in the overweight category for a little while and then you'll move on from there.

There is nothing at all wrong with leveling up when it comes to your health. Just make sure you adopt a healthy perspective from the beginning and you'll do just fine moving from category to category ;)
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 26.6. This is considered overweight. Look at my profile and you be the judge. That's how much confidence I have in BMI calculations
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I'm just stuck on the 4 pound weight loss in 3 weeks being "disappointing". Seems like a great loss to me.

Not when you're on phentermine. For most people, yes that's great. For someone who actually would benefit from phentermine, 4 lbs in 3 weeks should be easy without phentermine. On that drug you should lose 4 lbs the first week.

But I agree OP should not be on it.
  • Jaxsonjess
    Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about it, I am a medical coder and we have to put that on the charts the BMI range and then it classifys as a dx, its just a dx....
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    They are probably going off of your BMI which MAY say that you are obese. BMI is a complete BS unit of measure when it comes to heath. It does not take into account muscle that you have. I would set our weight loss ticker to lose 1 lb a week and either set your activity level to sedentary and log your exercises or adjust your activity level to include your exercising.

I also would probably look for a different medical provider if she is prescribing you Phentermine when you weigh 162 lbs.

Agree! Especially the part I bolded. I'd be concerned with being prescribed phentermine if I were you.

That part of the story makes me think that there's more to the story that hasn't been revealed yet
  • Shastabaldi
    Shastabaldi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I've been morbidly obese for years. I am looking forward to reaching the obese range. I've got a few thoughts on what is going on here. First of all, I think the doctor is ignorant of how difficult it can be to achieve even a modest weight loss. Your results are very good; not disappointing at all. Second of all, own the diagnosis. Third, difficulty losing weight is no reflection on your character or your ability.

I just wanted to say that I've seen some of your posts on MFP and I think you come across so very nice, and your responses are very thoughtful. After reading some of the responses from some folks on here who are just rude and not helpful and snarky and 'rub it in your face' attitudes - it's so refreshing and I just want to say thank you for that.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I've been morbidly obese for years. I am looking forward to reaching the obese range. I've got a few thoughts on what is going on here. First of all, I think the doctor is ignorant of how difficult it can be to achieve even a modest weight loss. Your results are very good; not disappointing at all. Second of all, own the diagnosis. Third, difficulty losing weight is no reflection on your character or your ability.

I just wanted to say that I've seen some of your posts on MFP and I think you come across so very nice, and your responses are very thoughtful. After reading some of the responses from some folks on here who are just rude and not helpful and snarky and 'rub it in your face' attitudes - it's so refreshing and I just want to say thank you for that.

Are you referring to responses in this thread? Because it's been a really good, and helpful thread thus far. If you are referring to instances outside this thread... why bring that up here? If you are wanting to thank the poster - send them a PM. I hope that this statement doesn't cause the thread to derail, for the OPs sake.
  • hoopdancer11
    hoopdancer11 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Anyways, she seemed disappointed that I hadn't lost more weight...

...Yeah, I could stand to lose 20 pounds, but I'm not unhealthy...

...I'm afraid to go back to the doctor....

...she'll just weigh me and judge me like I'm a big fatty...

...I've limited my use of Phentermine...

...This whole "obese" label has really got me down...

Just a few quotes from you. You sound like you're trying to justify yourself to your doctor. Obese is just a medical diagnosis, like anemic. Weight is a factor in health. You can be obese and otherwise have good health markers, but the obesity itself is not healthy. It sounds like you're judging yourself (isn't that why you went to the Dr. in the first place?) and then projecting your insecurities on the Dr.

The only thing she can be legitimately disappointed in is your discontinued use of a pharmaceutical that she prescribed you. If you are having side effects, you should talk to her. If you are concerned that your goal is 20 lbs and the drug is for people with 60+ lbs, talk to her.

I thought I made it pretty clear that I am insecure with myself. If I were secure I wouldn't have gone to the doctor and I most certainly wouldn't be trying to lose weight. She has no idea that I stopped taking it because I have not made a third appointment. When I went for the second visit and had "only" lost 4 pounds, she doubled the dosage. I developed a tolerance to it quickly, so why should I continue to take something that isn't helping and just becomes annoying? It's currently sitting on my counter not being taken and I'm still recording and exercising without it.
  • hoopdancer11
    Options

This. Why did the physician not first recommend you do sensible calorie reduction and diet improvement? Why leap to phentermine, which has a slew of dangerous side effects, is only to be used short term, and is only for those with a BMI over 30 who have not been able to lose weight through less invasive therapies?

Did the physician give you the appropriate warnings about phentermine?

"Advice to Patients

-Potential for drug to impair mental alertness or physical coordination; avoid driving or operating machinery until effects on individual are known.a b c
    -Importance of immediately informing clinicians if any deterioration in exercise tolerance occurs.154 168 169 b c
    -Importance of informing clinicians of existing or contemplated concomitant therapy, including prescription and OTC drugs, and alcohol consumption.b c
    -Importance of women informing clinicians if they are or plan to become pregnant or plan to breast-feed.b c
    -Importance of informing patients of other important precautionary information.b c (See Cautions.)

Read this and other information for physicians about prescribing this drug at http://www.drugs.com/monograph/phentermine.html

No, I was not given any information on what I was given. She said "hold on" and went to grab the prescription she had already printed out. The only thing she told me in terms of precautionary measures was to not take too much and to make sure I don't over restrict my calories. She did recommend a sensible diet plan and exercise, but also handed me a prescription about 5 minutes later. I have never seen a doctor to help me lose weight before.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Well, yes you are obese, but I don't know about a weight loss drug. On the other hand, I used those in the past in whatever guise they turned up. Including one that was supposed to cause heart problems (I was lucky). My permanent weight loss, though, is from a "natural" process here.

I lost 30lb while being a member of MFP. It took me a year and I've maintained for 2 years. Your goal seems realistic to me.

• hoopdancer11
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    They are probably going off of your BMI which MAY say that you are obese. BMI is a complete BS unit of measure when it comes to heath. It does not take into account muscle that you have. I would set our weight loss ticker to lose 1 lb a week and either set your activity level to sedentary and log your exercises or adjust your activity level to include your exercising.

That part of the story makes me think that there's more to the story that hasn't been revealed yet

What else would you like to know? I have a feeling that it was because I waited 45 mins past my scheduled appt time and ended up being the last patient in the office. I probably was the result of the doctor wanting to go home. I don't really know why, but I was a little surprised that I was given this drug (which my insurance doesn't cover the cost of, btw).
  • hoopdancer11
    Options
    Though I can't reply to every comment, I would like to thank people who have been supportive and have provided constructive criticism.
  • hoopdancer11
    Options
    Well, yes you are obese, but I don't know about a weight loss drug. On the other hand, I used those in the past in whatever guise they turned up. Including one that was supposed to cause heart problems (I was lucky). My permanent weight loss, though, is from a "natural" process here.

I lost 30lb while being a member of MFP. It took me a year and I've maintained for 2 years. Your goal seems realistic to me.

Well...as of 4-5 pounds ago I was obese lol now I'm just overweight (according to the BMI calculator). Congrats on your weight loss! I think that slow and steady will be the way that I keep it off, which is why I was disappointed that my doctor expected me to lose more in 3 weeks.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the word "obese" probably doesn't carry the same connotations to a doctor that it does to you. It's just a medical term and your doctor likely isn't attributing any judgment to it. I know I've been a bit guilty of projecting my own feelings onto my doctor's notes at times. To her it's just a dry scientific term.

I'd personally be a bit concerned about the phentermine though. My doc prescribed some for me for fatigue when I weighed about what you do (I weighed a little more actually, but I'm a couple of inches taller) and the pharmacist freaked out and refused to fill it until he had spoken to the doctor and been assured it wasn't for weight loss. It's a pretty strong drug and can have some nasty side effects-- they don't like to give it to people unless they have a lot of weight to lose or have other weight related health issues that make the risk of staying overweight greater than the risk of taking the medicine.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You're right. When I first came in the office, my BMI was 30.2 and currently it is 29.5 which bumps me from being obese to just being overweight (I just did the calculations now). It's crazy that a weight loss of 4 pounds can medically put you in a different category.

Errr no because thats where the boundary lies for your height and weight. If you look at the table then it makes perfect sense. They have to draw the line somewhere.