Am I Really Obese??

Options
13»

Replies

• lisac195
    lisac195 Posts: 54 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was the same exact size at my highest weight and am the same height although older than you. And I ended up going because of elevated blood pressure so I commend you for recognizing that you needed to take a step to get your weight under control. Now as far as the obese classification... yeah... that's what the chart says. And yeah it hit me hard too when I saw that.

I totally agree with your decision to not take the meds. They aren't helpful to you and your insurance doesn't cover it. And most importantly, you can do this without it. Bottom line.

One pound a week is a healthy rate to lose. Nothing for the doctor to be disappointed about. But it is something for you to be proud of. You can do this and I think you will if you follow your program here. Bump up your activity. At our height there isn't a lot of leeway as far as calories go. You shouldn't go under 1200 net calories but if you exercise more and drink plenty of water you will lose.

Forget the doctor's attitude and forget the pills. You don't need either one. You can do this!
  • JRoss1225
    JRoss1225 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's important that you do put your exercise into the app because you need to NET a certain number of calories a day. If you eat 1,200 and burn 1,200, you aren't getting enough nutrition.

Remember too that as far as weight loss pace goes, you didn't put on 5 pounds a week, so you won't lose 5 pounds a week either. You're making great progress, so keep it up! You may even find that if you factor in your exercise and get an extra snack that you see more results.

I've taken Phentermine too and it raised my heart rate like crazy. When I exercised, I sweat way too much and my skin was really overheated. It's just supposed to help control your eating. If you don't need meds, don't mess up your body and take them.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Btw do Drs really prescribe phentermine so readily? Its banned here in the Uk for fears about safety, but even if it wasnt, then you are better just learning about nutrition and lifestyle changes.
  • hoopdancer11
    hoopdancer11 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    You're right. When I first came in the office, my BMI was 30.2 and currently it is 29.5 which bumps me from being obese to just being overweight (I just did the calculations now). It's crazy that a weight loss of 4 pounds can medically put you in a different category.

Errr no because thats where the boundary lies for your height and weight. If you look at the table then it makes perfect sense. They have to draw the line somewhere.

...and I have since fallen below the boundary line that was drawn simply by losing 4 pounds. I just found it interesting.
  • hoopdancer11
    Options
    Btw do Drs really prescribe phentermine so readily? Its banned here in the Uk for fears about safety, but even if it wasnt, then you are better just learning about nutrition and lifestyle changes.

Apparently. Doctors in the US are so ready and willing to prescribe narcotics and other controlled substances. Perhaps it has something to do with how much money there is to be made in the pharmaceutical industry? I had no idea that it was banned in the UK.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Apparently. Doctors in the US are so ready and willing to prescribe narcotics and other controlled substances. Perhaps it has something to do with how much money there is to be made in the pharmaceutical industry? I had no idea that it was banned in the UK.

It depends on the doctor. I haven't found doctors so willing to prescribe things. And as a person who takes narcotics for chronic pain I can tell you that it isn't all that easy to obtain. I have to go to a special pain clinic and get drug tested every month. I can only pick up my prescriptions at one pharmacy and only on certain days. If something comes up and I have to go out of town or something I'm just out of luck. Pharmacies and doctors are cracking down.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Apparently so! :confused: Always good to read the fine print and then weigh the side effects against any health problems you may be experiencing (or are about to experience).

Phentermine side effects: Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to phentermine: hives; wheezing, chest tightness, trouble breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
    • feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
    • chest pain, feeling like you might pass out;
    • swelling in your ankles or feet;
    • pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;
    • confusion or irritability, unusual thoughts or behavior;
    • feelings of extreme happiness or sadness; or
    • dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears,
    • anxiety, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure).
    Common phentermine side effects may include:
    • feeling restless or hyperactive;
    • headache, dizziness, tremors;
    • sleep problems (insomnia);
    • dry mouth or an unpleasant taste in your mouth;
    • diarrhea or constipation, upset stomach; or
    • increased or decreased interest in sex, impotence.
    Source: http://www.drugs.com/phentermine.html
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

i haven't found that to be the case at all. that's why i felt some part of the medical history was being left out. "hi, nice to meet you, how are you doing, here are your high powered narcotics" isn't something you usually see from doctors.

but it doesn't matter. the doc wasn't filling out your online dating profile when she used the term obese. it's a medical term that follows strict numerical guidelines and where the hammer falls, it falls. it's not personal and it really doesn't matter if you already know that you need to lose weight.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I've been morbidly obese for years. I am looking forward to reaching the obese range. I've got a few thoughts on what is going on here. First of all, I think the doctor is ignorant of how difficult it can be to achieve even a modest weight loss. Your results are very good; not disappointing at all. Second of all, own the diagnosis. Third, difficulty losing weight is no reflection on your character or your ability.

I just wanted to say that I've seen some of your posts on MFP and I think you come across so very nice, and your responses are very thoughtful. After reading some of the responses from some folks on here who are just rude and not helpful and snarky and 'rub it in your face' attitudes - it's so refreshing and I just want to say thank you for that.

maybe send your projections in a PM?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Bit of a digression onto the Phentermine aspect, as here in the UK I think you'd be pamed off to the district nurse who could provide general diet, butrition and exercise advice/ support rather than pills..

I didnt realise it was banned until i googled it. Apparently has been banned in the UK since 2000. Heres the small article from the BBC.
    Wednesday, 12 April, 2000, 11:39 GMT 12:39 UK
    Slimming drug banned
    Pills
    Only two slimming drugs are now available in the UK
    The slimming drug Phentermine has been banned in the UK after fears it could cause heart disease. The drug, marketed as Duromine and Ionamin, has been linked to leakage in the heart valves.It is thought that some slimming clubs were distributing the drug without fully explaining the associated risks. Government figures show that only 20,000 NHS prescriptions for the drug were issued in 1998.

The risks of developing hypertension or heart disorders outweighed the benefits of taking the drug Department of Health spokeswoman

However, it is estimated that more than 100,000 women use the drug - the majority purchasing it from the private sector. Phentermine is an appetite suppressant, which acts on the nervous system in a way similar to amphetamine. The decision to ban the drug was taken after a similar ruling by the European Medical Evaluation Agency. A Department of Health spokeswoman told BBC News Online: "No licence will be issued for the drug after April 9. "This is in line with the directions of a European Commission safety review which found that the risks of developing hypertension or heart disorders outweighed the benefits of taking the drug." The banning of Phentermine means that there are now only two slimming drugs available in the UK - methylcellulose and orlistat.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/710340.stm
  • Abberration
    Options
    Just cuz this is how my brain works (weigh in at 160/ goal weight 145 (15lbs difference) or about 11% of your current weight. That's really not that much- focus on establishing healthy habits (sounds like you're on the right path)
  • hoopdancer11
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

i haven't found that to be the case at all. that's why i felt some part of the medical history was being left out. "hi, nice to meet you, how are you doing, here are your high powered narcotics" isn't something you usually see from doctors.

but it doesn't matter. the doc wasn't filling out your online dating profile when she used the term obese. it's a medical term that follows strict numerical guidelines and where the hammer falls, it falls. it's not personal and it really doesn't matter if you already know that you need to lose weight.

After all of this, I guess it doesn't really matter because I need to lose weight anyways. And I don't think my bf of 7 years would be very excited about me having a dating profile lol
    Although I did feel that it went exactly like "Hi, nice to meet you, how are you doing, I see your weight vs. height, eat better/take supplements/exercise and here is your risky, powerful medication."
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I'm just stuck on the 4 pound weight loss in 3 weeks being "disappointing". Seems like a great loss to me.

I totally agree.

Above all though, I think it sounds like time for a second opinion from another physician. Just my thoughts. It's very difficult to imagine a non-quack prescribing weight loss drugs to you based on what you've shared with us here.

Also OP...don't get bogged down in the label of obese, even if that MAY technically be true based on your height and so on...at your weight that will pretty quickly switch to overweight and then healthy weight.

I tend to think most people NOT in the medical field (or related fields...or heavily involved in fitness and weight loss) have a certain mental picture of what obesity looks like, and it's very different from the reality. I myself was morbidly obese for many many years and didn't even realize it...for a long time I assumed morbidly obese meant you rode a Mart Cart in the store with four bellies hanging over the edge. Not necessarily. I was walking 3-5 miles per day and wearing cute plus size clothing. But very definitely *morbidly obese*.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    As long as you are exercising, you should have more than 1200 calories available to eat. Log your exercise and MFP will tell you what you've earned. Most recommend that you don't eat back more than 50% of earned exercise calories, as MFP burn calculations can be off. MFP will give you a prediction (in 5 weeks you will weigh) every day when you complete your food journal. You can use that to get an idea of how long it will take you to lose 10 pounds, as long as your calorie intake and exercise is constant. Keep in mind that your bodyweight can fluctuate 2+ pounds a day due to water changes (due to salt, horomones, etc.), and starting a new exercise program can also cause you to retain water weight.

With the work you've done so far, it shouldn't take you too long to get there. Stay strong :)