crock pot meals

Options
I'm looking for tasty, healthy crock p ot meals anyone have any ideas. Post please.

Replies

• colejkeene
    colejkeene Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    10748302_597766223663309_96487868_n.jpg

Smoky White Bean Stew

Vegan and delicious! Freezes well, is super inexpensive and easier than you can imagine.

Ingredients
    1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 medium yellow onion, diced
    4 carrots, diced
    4 stalks celery, sliced
    1 lb dry white beans, picked through for dead beans and stones
    1 dried bay leaf
    1-2 tsp liquid smoke
    1 tsp dried rosemary
    ½ tsp dried thyme
    ½ tsp smoked paprika
    ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
    salt to taste
    6 cups low sodium vegetable stock or water

Method
    First, add the olive oil, garlic, onion, celery, and carrots to a large (5qt or larger) slow cooker.

Give beans a quick rinse and then add them to the slow cooker, along with the bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, paprika, and some freshly cracked pepper.

Add stock to the slow cooker and stir to combine the ingredients. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 8 hours on low or on high for 4-5 hours.

Check after 4 hours to see if you need more liquid.

After 8 hours, stir the soup and mash the beans slightly. Add salt slowly, tasting until you reach your preference.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Is that 1-2 tsp liquid smoke correct??? I've used it and really strong..
  • colejkeene
    colejkeene Posts: 84 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Mygsds wrote: »
    Is that 1-2 tsp liquid smoke correct??? I've used it and really strong..

It is correct. That's why it's "Smoky White Bean Stew". You'd get something similar if you used a smoky bacon. :)
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hmm interesting! I might make that soup sounds good. Always looking for new crockpot ideas.
  • hamo1987
    hamo1987 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Hamburger/turkey soup.... soo easy... a pound of ground meat of ur choice... a can of. (All all juices are used from the canned items) can of corn, can of green beens, can of italian stewed tomatoes, half a diced purple onion, black pepper to taste and a few splahes of franks hot sauce... 150 calories for a nice sized bowl, cooks in under ten minutes, and suuuuuper filling... my kids even love it... we use double the cans of veggies, still only usong only a pound of meat, because it freezes very well... we are a family of seven, and hubby takes left overs :-) but an average fam of four would do well on just single cans and a pound of hround meat.... had it last night in fact. :-) and for lunch today. :-) taste better the next day too... can also be done as a crockpot meal. :-) u cant mess it up, u can put canned carrots in it also, hubby just cant have them so we dont anymore. :-) the juice the veggies are packed in become the broth. ;)
  • gwensoul
    gwensoul Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    1 head cabbage cut up
    1 bag carrots cut up
    1 bunch celery cut up
    1 onion
    1 package dry ranch seasoning
    1 bottle wing sauce
    2-3 lbs chicken

Throw it in and cook for 8 hours low, mix and serve. You can also sub out the cabbage for potatos but I like cabbage.
  • gwensoul
    gwensoul Posts: 87 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ingredients:

1 lb. 95% lean ground beef or ground turkey
    1 large onion, chopped fine
    1 tbsp finely minced garlic
    1/2 tsp. dried thyme
    1 tsp sweet Hungarian Paprika
    salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
    1 1/2 heads green cabbage, coarsely chopped
    1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
    1-2 cup water
    1 cups uncooked brown rice
    2 cups pizza blend cheese

Instructions:

Heat a large frying pan on medium heat; add ground beef and cook until it's browned and cooked through, breaking it apart as it cooks. Add onion to soften . Add the minced garlic, dried thyme, and paprika and cook about 2 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and uncooked rice and 1- 2 cup of water

Cut cabbage in half, cut out the core, and remove any wilted outer leaves; chop the cabbage coarsely into 1 inch pieces.

In the crockpot layer half the cabbage, half the meat mixture, remaining cabbage, and remaining meat mixture. (you can just mix it all in also.)

I will say a lot of times I dont do all the prep work and just throw it all in at once.

Cook on High for 6 hours adding water if the rice is not getting done. For the last 20 minutes put cheese on top and let melt.