Losing Weight with PCOS

Options
penkon
penkon Posts: 16 Member
I've been on MyFitnessPal for years now but have just recently gotten back into it.
After gaining 40kg in 6 months I started getting worried as losing weight was now a struggle. I checked for thyroids and diabetes and they both came back negative. I then read online about something called Polycystic Ovaries and thought they symptoms describe be to a 'T'. 2 Months ago I was finally diagnosed with Polycystic ovaries.
I now start my weight loss journey again but this time with more knowledge. It won't be easy but it must be possible.
I love making new friends on here as it motivates me to keep going!
My username is penkon ... feel free to add me!

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Welcome Back :):)
  • Summer_2016
    Summer_2016 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    PCOS is a challenge. I was diagnosed over 15 years ago. You can still be successful with your weight loss journey. I'm looking forward to getting the weight off and keeping it off this time.
  • LauraRyan2604
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with PCOS too. I haven't had much help off the doctors with how to deal with it tho its hard to get rid of the weight.
  • tccmccullough1234
    Options
    Hi my name is tc I am new on here but not to the diet war I have pcos take metformin for it need to lose at least seventy pounds to have hernia surgery
  • penkon
    penkon Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments guys! Always good to know you're not alone :smile:
  • LoveLoveandRage
    LoveLoveandRage Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too. I've tried multiple times to lose the weight and this time I'm successful so far. I have lost 24 pounds since August. I know it's not that fast but I hope slow and steady means I'll be able to keep it off :)
  • performfully
    performfully Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS! I have lost 40 out of 60 lbs that came along with my miracle baby (and bed rest!). I honestly did not shed a pound until I started the pill, and I also do better with low carb (but I really don't follow that so much). Feel free to send a request! You can do it!
  • mariekendrick07
    mariekendrick07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and have struggled with my weight for 20 years. I was told I would never have kids by various doctors and God blessed me with not 1,not 2, but 3 busy boys. Shows you doctors don't know everything...
  • szunabrina
    szunabrina Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi guys !
    I've been diagnosed with PCO too.
    I work out and eat healthy (vegetarian for years, diary free for couple of months, organic focused) but... it doesn't help much.
    I just got Metformin. Anybody were taking that or another drugs which help with insulin resistance ?
  • rbauzo
    rbauzo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with PCOS and am taking metformin. I'm getting back in to myfitness pal myself. Good to know there are others in the same boat.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Google the pcos diet. It's similar to a diabetic diet.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There's a PCOS group here on MFP, I highly recommend joining. Great group of ladies!

I also recently started a blog that primarily focuses on PCOS and living with it, which may be of some use (though I don't have much on it yet).

I've been diagnosed for about seven years now, but probably had it for quite a bit longer than that. I took Metformin for a while about six years ago, but had to stop after I got pregnant. I was taking it again for about a year recently, but due to a number of reasons, I stopped. I'm currently taking Inositol instead, which has proven more helpful than the last round of Metformin.

I've found that the best thing for me is a low carb high fat (under 75g, and ideally under 50g of carbs) diet. It keeps my skin clear of acne (which I've had issues with since I was a teen) and allows me to eat a sane amount of food without gaining oncontrollably (still working on the losing part).
  • brideofsuperman
    brideofsuperman Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Another PCOSer here!! Down 40lbs in the last 4 months. Its not easy but it is do-able. I am on metformin and aldactone to help with my insulin and hormone levels, and monthly doctor's visit of level checks. I have two beautiful crazy boys so don't think PCOS is a death sentence from having children. Always happy to try and help any way I can. Feel free to add me (that goes for anyone on here :smile: ) I still have a long way to go but slowly and surely I will get there.
  • szunabrina
    szunabrina Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    There's a PCOS group here on MFP, I highly recommend joining. Great group of ladies!

I also recently started a blog

I've found that the best thing for me is a low carb high fat (under 75g, and ideally under 50g of carbs) diet. It keeps my skin clear of acne (which I've had issues with since I was a teen) and allows me to eat a sane amount of food without gaining oncontrollably (still working on the losing part).
    Hi!!
    It's awesome that you write about pco treating ! Lots of us appropriate ! :)
    Do you count plant (fruits , vegetables and beans) into that 50 g carbs a day? I have a problem to keep it under 130 g /day even if I don't eat single peace of bread , cookie, pasta, rice or anything which is a "big " carb thing.

Since I've been struggling with PCO I feel very heavy and tired after a meal. I realized that I feel better without meat in my diet so I'm vegetarian for over 2 years. Several months ago a realized the same thing about dairy. So I'm trying to eliminate diary from my diet too. But most of food which is a good source of plant based proteins has huge amount od carbs too.
    I just started taking Metformin a week ago and I really want it to help me loose weight.

Do you have any advice?
    Hugs!

• Gabbyofmem2013
    Options
    Hey y'all! I have pcos. Have since I was 8 and I'm 23 now. I need motivation more now than ever. I want to lose 80 pounds... message me if you need advice. I give great advice about pcos, I just don't take it myself. Lol
  • Gabbyofmem2013
    Options
    Oh!!!! Also, have y'all heard about berberine????