Panic! (smoking topic)

Options
Hey everyone...you have all been so great and I so appreciate it! Thank you thank you thank you....all the support means the world to me...I haven't really told anyone in my personal life that I am trying to quit, cause I feel like anytime I do, I sabotage myself.
I'm down to like 3 smokes a day, from a pack and a half....

here's my problem..

I haven't bought a pack of smokes since last weekend. I have 5 left in my pack...I KNOW I don't need to smoke, hell if I can go 6-8 hours without one, I can go more, right? Every time I think about having that last and final cigarette, I feel myself starting to panic. I'm feeling it right now as I type this....Any suggestions? I will not buy another pack, I refuse to....how do I fight this panic feeling?

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    don't ever smoke your last ever cigarette....personally I couldn't do it that way but I've known a few people that have done it that way. They're not smoking this minute, hour, day, week, month.......but they never had their last cigarette. It was such a big crutch to one friend that she still had her last cigarette about 6 years later before finally deciding it could be binned.
  • mircius
    mircius Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    you just have to realize that its bad for you in every way.when you want to smoke just think about the 8 extra minutes you add to your life by not smoking one cigarette, those 4 extra hours that you smoked away from your life every day! I quit about 2 months ago. Thats what made me realize that i need to get healthy and now i'm 2 months clean and 20 lbs lighter. I'm so happy, first of all, because i just think it is disgusting. I don't even rembember how it was to smoke every freaking 5 minutes when i went out and worry that i don't have the money for todays pack and those damn moments when i prefered a pack of cigs instead of a good meal. And all those moments when i had to take a break, go in some nasty places just to smoke for 5 minutes...
    just quit. those 5 cigs you have left? break them in half and throw them away, get rid of all tabacco you have and just don't buy new ones. Go, smoke your last cig and quit. you shouldnt have to panic because its your last, you should panic if it isnt!

and with the money saved, give it to your sons, they have girls to take out, you know..
  • markomark
    markomark Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi

There is a book by a guy called Allen Carr called Easyway. Look it up, I never thought I could quit but I have and I don't even crave.

Don't think of it as "giving up", that implies you are losing out some how. What are you "giving up"? Nothing. You are stopping feeding your addiction and gaining freedom from cigarettes. You are giving up nothing but bad health and a hole in the wallet. You are starting to be a non-smoker. So don't "give up", stop smoking and start gaining.

Wow, I sound like I did it! Oh yeah, I did!

You can do it.
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    Best of luck to you!!

I gave up when I found out I was pregnant in January 2007 so I had a very good reason to just quit cold turkey! Thank goodness!!

My advice, though, would be to think of it as more of a mental struggle than a physical need. I read somewhere (although don't quote me as it was a long time ago and might not be completely correct) that the physical craving for nicotine is gone pretty quickly after quitting (48hours I believe) .... after that its habit and mind games that make you "need" that cigarette again! This helped me - being stubborn as I am I knew I could beat my own mind in a willpower challenge!! :o)
  • mircius
    Options
    the last cig thing depends from person to person. for me, i never wanted to quit, i did get to smoke less but not intentionally. if i hadnt smoked that last one i would probably obsess about it and always think about it. i remember it, i just said, yeah, today i'm quiting, went to a window smoked the last one. next morning i threw away that pack and never put another cigarette in my mouth
  • BettyBeth14
    BettyBeth14 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've just quit myself. I was planning this big day when I woke up and jsut didnt smoke, so effectively the last one was on Sunday night. (the quitting was supposed to start Monday just gone).

However, last Wednesday, I went to the dentist and he adivsed my tooth need to come out, so take it out he did. Im sitting there after and he says so casually "no smoking for 3 days" I was just thinking, "3 days?!?! How am I gonna do that" (I usualy smoke around 20 a day)

So I had to do it cos I had this big gaping hole in my mouth adn coudlnt risk the infection. The cravings were bad, I cant deny that! Saturday came and I picked up my packet, cos I was thinking, well I said it was Monday so I can smoke today and tomorrow. Then I rememebered how bad the last 3 days had been, and thought if I smoke today and tomorrow, its gonna be even worse come Monday. So that was it. I said no more!!

My moral of this very long post lol, is that effectively I didnt have that "last cigarette" cos when I went to the dentist I wasn't expecting to be told I couldnt smoke. Try not to think of that cigarette as the "last one" and you might find it easier to stop! I dont know ifd you have and iPhone, but theres an app that tells you how much you save and how long its been, plus has little motivating messages :-)

I hope my post has been helpful, and I know how hard it is for you! But with willpower you can do it!!! As my friend keeps reminding me....I dont want *kitten* lips in years to come from the "dragging" of a cig!!! x
  • hyper_stitch
    hyper_stitch Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm it really is a personal journey and you need to find your motivation. I quit last June after a life of smoking, I've quit before when pregnant. I think the suggestion of not having a 'last' cigarette is a good one. When I quit I was just so determined, my stubborness took over, I didn't talk about quitting, I didn't use any methods. I did however really focus on my overall health and started eating better, this is also the time I really got into cycling so guess I just found a diversion, my one smoking aid was nicorette fruit flavoured gum but I only used it briefly.

I will always be a smoker, I love smoking but I just can't smoke! I do allow myself a cigarette or two when I go out but I don't go out often :blushing:
  • BettyBeth14
    Options
    Mircius - Did you say 20lbs lighter??? I've put 6lbs since quitting a week ago, I hope this means in time it will be easier to come off?!!?!? haha x
  • mircius
    Options
    well after i quit smoking i also started dieting :)
  • BettyBeth14
    Options
    Ahh right, ive given myself 3 weeks (the initial 21 days ti takes nicotine to leave your body) to eat what I want when I want to combat the cravings! I plan to start gently exercising next week then really watching what I eat on day 22 :-) Hoping it will make it easier for me to exercise now I wont have smoke filled lungs haha x
  • CarolMorris66
    Options
    I found changing everything I did helped no end. Smoking is as much a habit as anything. First thing in the morning, take dog to garden have ciggy. OK, somebody else take dog to garden for me.... get in car, spark up.... so I changed to get in car, have an aniseed twist in mouth ready... popping into local shop for milk was an automatic, pick up ciggys while I am here... had to go to a different shop to buy milk where there weren't cigarettes staring at me... it was hard - it was the hardest thing I ever did and I still occasionally want one, but it's 4 years in June and I am determined to NEVER smoke again! Losing the weight I put on is hard, but easier in comparison!!
  • mircius
    Options
    it's okay, do whatever it takes, better quit smoking and gain a few pounds than not quitting at all. i didnt start the diet right away. a few days ago i bought a ktichen scale and oh boy...big difference between what i thought i was eating back then. and i still lost 18 lbs before i bought it, so now its been even easier. and i don't exercise that much but i do walk at least 5 miles everyday. i dont even remember last time i took the bus
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My dad has not smoked in 2 years, but still keeps a pack. He carried them with him for a long time after he quit, just liked having them. What ever works. :)
  • jacsen21
    jacsen21 Posts: 20
    Options
    It has been eight months for me, I smoked for almost forty years. I still have the odd day where I will have a craving for a cigarette, Early on in my quit I would have little things to keep me busy and I would tell myself, "if you still want it really bad after your done, you can have it" I found doing something help pass the craving and when I was done my little chore, I didn't want it anymore. So I have kept that reasoning even now. If I get a craving I find something around the house that needs to be done and do it. Helps get through the bad time and makes for a squeaky clean house. :)
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I felt like this when I was trying to quit too. I pretty much always ended up going out and buying another pack because of it and having to start over each time! Personally, it took me a lot of tries, but what worked best for me with the panic part was to have that last cigarette close to bed time. That way I wouldn't be tempted to go out an buy a pack right away and was a starting a new day without cigarettes.

I've heard the don't smoke the last one trick too, I guess it depends on the person.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I have been smoke free for over 2 years now and know how hard it is. I was smoking 2 packs of full flavor/menthol a day. Trust me, it wasn't easy to quit but it is sooo worth it. Here are a few tips that helped me:

Okay, first thing: Don't panic.
    The word panic says that you are sooo apprehensive about quitting which make me think you keep siking yourself out about it. Stop putting so much pressure on yourself Hun. Maybe when you find yourself obsessing about it, distract yourself by a calming activity such as a walk, a bath, a drink of water...even an ice cube in the hand works.(I know it sounds weird but it does)

Second: Some people need bite the bullet. I'm not saying it works for everyone, but dragging it out by 1 cigarette at a time didn't work for me. IMO it leads to suffering, guilt, apprehension and dragging yourself through the mud. Make a choice and stick with it. Get rid of the cigarettes. It is much easier to go through the physical withdrawals for 2 days then it is to do it for weeks. It will be hard but just knowing "I have made my choice" and "I have come this far, I don't want to give up now" will help

Third: Mindset: What really helped me is the saying to myself when a problem arose "I don't need a cigarette to fix how I am feeling because it is not going to change or resolve this problem". "The problem will still be there when I am done smoking". So many people get caught up in the idea that a cigarette helps them calm down enough to rationally fix a problem they are having. If anything, it makes it worse. It is a crutch and doesn't allow them to self sooth and if they spend the same amount of time that they would smoking thinking about how to fix it (after they get over the addiction mood swings )they will find that they came up with the same solution, if not a better one because they didn't have that "up and down" from the nicotine.

My fourth and final: Most states have programs that supply you with nicotine patches, gum or other products for free. I had to use the gum and the patches for the first 2 weeks and then patches for 2 months after that. Don't be afraid to get help. It really levels out your cravings.

Again, quitting smoking was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life and I empathize greatly with your struggle. It is sooo worth giving them up though. I breath better, my clothes and house smells better, I have more energy, and I had 3 grandparents who died from lung/throat cancer. You can do this. It gets so much easier after the first few days. I am at a place where I cant even be around it anymore, not because of temptation but because I cant stand the smell. You can get there too! I am going to friend you and help you through this.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I was a 3 pack a day chain smoker when I quit 35 years ago probably burned up as many as I smoked). Cold turkey, hard as hell. My motivation was when my first husband told me I would never quit, I was too weak. But I did it, won't ever go back. I thought the suggestion to keep that last cigarette as crutch might be a good one. Funny he still smoked when I quit so there were always some around. My weight gain was only temporary (though I chewed a lot of straws to nubbins too). Do what works for you, everyone is different. JUST DO IT you will never reqret it.
  • Hairotica
    Hairotica Posts: 24
    Options
    I stopped for 6 years with no help. i just decided to. Then I got divoreced and started again. I stopped a year later and stayed stopped for another 5 years, then I had personal problems and started again!! Ive now given up for the third time. I always stop easily but as soon as I have a trauma I start again :(

My point is that I never see myself as a non-smoker, just a smoker in remission. This is not to make you feel its hopeless more to recognise the triggers that cause you to start again.

My Mum always said that the occasional trauma will keep you slim and its true especially if you smoke as well. Good luck, stay happy and you'll stay stopped.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    when i had my last 3 cigs i planned them out. drive to work, drive home, and my last one at midnight. it's only been 3 days since then, but i'm ok. i was nervous the few days before and was like "maybe i should start next month" but if you think like that, it'll never happen. i am definitely a "last cigarette" kind of person, just like i was a last supper kind of dieter, but it works for me. it's not gonna be easy, and you're gonna get weird thoughts in your head, but it's normal. you just gotta be tough and say "F U evil cigarettes!! stop messin with my head!!" be strong and make sure you have people to talk to cuz that definitely helps a lot :) GOOD LUCK!!!
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    Thank you all! I'm not gonna have a "last cigarette"...it will remain in the pack.

I did quit several years ago, I had bronchitis, and I couldn't even take a breath, the pain was so horrible, there was no way I could have smoked. After 3 days when I felt better, I almost had a cigarette, then thought to myself "I haven't smoked in 3 days, why start now?" I remember it was tough, but I got through...
    I had quit for 2 yrs, then went through a bad time and was hangin out with my smokin friends.."just gimme a drag"...well that was all it took....

I hate the way I smell, I hate the way my house and car smell, most of my friends are non-smokers, and honestly I'm embarassed that I smoke...It's in my head...the need for the cigarette, the panic, I can talk myself out of it, and I'm going to! I'm gonna come up with an idea, maybe a mantra or something to soothe my way through it.

Again, you are all so awesome, thank you!!!