Filling foods that will keep me full for a long time? Suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I love broccoli mixed with beans or chickpeas, with a scoop or two of cottage cheese 4% and 4 oz of baked sockeye salmon.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    It takes about 4 hours for you to digest any food you eat, so after about 3 hours, you're probably going to be hungry no matter what you've eaten because it's passed most of the way through your system.

Are you sure? I don't poop 4 hours after every meal. Maybe you meant most of the way out of your stomach?
  • ola130
    ola130 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The humble potato is well known for its satiating factor.

Breakfast potatoes (Indian spiced potato with a fried egg) is my go to for morning fullness.

http://www.naturalhealthmag.com.au/content/indian-spiced-potatoes-fried-egg
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I get a hamburger no cheese no mayo
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My one go to for a filling breakfast is 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup granola (types vary) and a handful of berries on top. I sometimes do this as a snack if I have a light lunch.
  • jmlb806
    Options
    Wow! Thanks. I also need to learn to try new foods. I have always been a picky eater and not good about trying new ones. I really need to though in order not to get bored!
  • AliluniqueLaura
    AliluniqueLaura Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I carry low calorie snacks. I eat every couple hours. I never get hungry :D
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    High Fibre and high protein works for me
  • llynn1976
    llynn1976 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Quest bars really fill me up, lots of fiber and protein, also eggs, peanut butter and I always drink a cup of water with everything I eat.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,588 Member
    Options
    potatoes , oatmeal, parsnips,carrots
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Veggies with hummus
    Banana with peanut butter
    Apple with peanut butter
    Greek yogurt
    Eggs
    Deli meat rollups
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Chicken
    Steak
    Ground beef
    Ground turkey
    Salmon
    Tilapia
    Shrimp
    Tuna
    Beef jerky
    Meat sticks
    Oatmeal with flax or chia seeds
    Cheese
    Popcorn
  • murphyocean
    murphyocean Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Great question!

Protein, fiber, fat, and liquids, work for me. Protein and fat makes me feel satiated...and makes me feel like I'm not going to starve to death. Fiber fills me up, but too much can make me feel painfully bloated...I hate that!

I make tons of soup. So the combination of what I put in it (fiber, fat, and protein), and well of course water, makes me feel full overall...and leaves me not feeling like a starving rabbit.

But I do want to note that you should not be afraid of fat! With a well-balanced meal, and sufficient exercise, you should be healthy. :)

Also, if you are eating carbs...remember to pair it up with some type of protein. It should help you feel full for longer.

Here are some quick go to meals if I am running low on time:

1.) Smoothie: frozen bananas, plain whole greek yogurt, peanut butter, chocolate chips, raisins, almond milk/milk/water.

2.) Some type of carb (e.g., rice or bread), and pan fried eggs. Fry the egg in a touch of oil (I prefer olive or coconut oils) and in a non-stick pan. Put soy sauce on top of egg, and pepper (optional), and there you go! I tend to like the yolk runny. This is a very traditional Vietnamese dish.

Good luck!
  • winniway
    winniway Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hummus. Costco has them in little individual size packs. I leave them in the fridge at work for hunger emergencies.