Needing easy simple soup/stew ideas.

Options
I am not a cook, but I am needing some suggestions. I am hoping to make a soup/stew that would be good. I am looking for something that would be healthy for me, or at least healthier then normal soups etc. I had a stroke a few years back and i really should also cut my sodium down as much as possible. Hoping also that there isn't a lot of ingredients. Thanks for your time.

Replies

• nannersp61
    nannersp61 Posts: 2,315 Member
    Options
    Easy Veggie soup- everything out of a can or out of the freezer section, already cut up. Just open, put in a large pot, heat and eat. You can add whatever seasonings you like. If you like beans, pick your favorite beans and add them. Here's what I would use: Large can of petite diced tomatoes, can or two of green chilis or get a can of Rotell tomatoes that already have the green chilis. Then add a can of white hominy, black beans, a can of white and yellow corn, You can also add a jar of v-8 juice, low sodium, throw in some parsley or cilantro, cumin, 3 or 4 chopped garlic cloves (you can also buy this already cut up in a little jar in the produce section of your grocery store.) If you like onion, fine dice an onion and throw that in. If you like, you could also add a meat broth, beef broth would be great in this soup. Look for a low sodium version.
    - You can also make and store your own broths. When you cook a beef roast, save the broth from it in the freezer and use that in soups later. I do this when I crockpot all kinds of meats: pork loin, chicken, roasts and stews. Turkey broth and pork broth together make outstanding soups.
    - I have a Turkey Tortellini that I make every year after Thanksgiving. I freeze the turkey carcass (ribs, large bones and one side of the breast meat along with any broth left in the pan). Bring all the bones to boil in a large stock pot filled with water. Boil an hour, then remove the bones. While this is boiling, cut up the meat, 5-6 baby portabella mushrooms, a shallot, 5-6 green onions, which you can sauté in a small fry pan with olive oil to coat pan. Add meat and veggies to broth. Taste. Add your favorite herbs and spices: 1-2 t. curry, parsley, pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder. Cook about another hour. Add in a bag of frozen tortellini ( I like the cheese tortellini for this-you can find it at Walmart) and a bag of green peas. Serve with crackers and a salad.
    - Meat Chili: My cousin Mark came up with this, its hearty and delicious. For the base get a large can of Original Ragu, package of chili mix, 1& 1/2 lbs of ground beef or half sausage and half beef. Buy one large can of Pinto or Kidney beans. You cut up 2 or 3 stalks of celery, 5-6 button mushrooms, 2-3 garlic cloves and one onion. Saute these vegies in a medium fry pan with olive oil. (set aside vegies) In same pan brown the meat(s) and then drain the fat. In a large stock pot combine the Ragu, meat, veggies and beans(drained and rinsed). To this add a package of Chili mix. Stir and heat until boiling. Serve with toasted pita bread or tortillas and celery sticks. Or if you have enough sodium left for the day some Jiffy cornbread.
    -
  • chetrog
    chetrog Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks guys....
  • hamo1987
    hamo1987 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Easy and cheap healthy recipes
    SoniatantuSoniatantu
    January 8, 2015 3:05PM in Recipes
    Does anyone have any easy, cheap, and healthy recipes? I know it sounds like a generic answer…but I can easily get in these ruts where I don't know what to make.
    Thanks
    hamo1987hamo1987
    January 8, 2015 3:33PM
    Hamburger/turkey soup.... soo easy... a pound of ground meat of ur choice... a can of. (All all juices are used from the canned items) can of corn, can of green beens, can of italian stewed tomatoes, half a diced purple onion, black pepper to taste and a few splahes of franks hot sauce... 150 calories for a nice sized bowl, cooks in under ten minutes, and suuuuuper filling... my kids even love it... we use double the cans of veggies, still only usong only a pound of meat, because it freezes very well... we are a family of seven, and hubby takes left overs :-) but an average fam of four would do well on just single cans and a pound of hround meat.... had it last night in fact. :-) and for lunch today. :-) taste better the next day too... can also be done as a crockpot meal. :-) u cant mess it up, u can put canned carrots in it also, hubby just cant have them so we dont anymore. :-) the juice the veggies are packed in become the broth. ;)
  • hamo1987
    hamo1987 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Hamburger/turkey soup.... soo easy... a pound of ground meat of ur choice... a can of. (All all juices are used from the canned items) can of corn, can of green beens, can of italian stewed tomatoes, half a diced purple onion, black pepper to taste and a few splahes of franks hot sauce... 150 calories for a nice sized bowl, cooks in under ten minutes, and suuuuuper filling... my kids even love it... we use double the cans of veggies, still only usong only a pound of meat, because it freezes very well... we are a family of seven, and hubby takes left overs :-) but an average fam of four would do well on just single cans and a pound of hround meat.... had it last night in fact. :-) and for lunch today. :-) taste better the next day too... can also be done as a crockpot meal. :-) u cant mess it up, u can put canned carrots in it also, hubby just cant have them so we dont anymore. :-) the juice the veggies are packed in become the broth. ;)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This is my favourite stew. It should have potatoes, but I do it without them so I can freeze it. You can add potatoes later if you want (just cut some and boil them). Or, if you're not freezing the stew, you can add 2 diced potatoes in about 40 minutes before the end. That way they suck up the broth :)

Or, you could have it with rice. Or bread.

Ingredients:

~700 grams / 25 oz stewing beef cubes. You could mix beef and pork cubes too. If you can't find beef or pork cubes, get a thick but cheap steak or roast, and cut it up into 1 inch cubes.
    4 cups chopped onions
    2 cups chopped celery
    1 cup chopped carrots
    2 big cans of tomatoes (like diced or whole tomatoes, not sauce) - look for sodium-free
    2 chicken bouillon cubes - look for sodium free
    1/2 cup wine
    a LITTLE bit of salt and pepper (if you want)
    water (enough for about half of one of those cans of tomatoes)
    Vegetable oil (1-2 tablespoons)

- Heat the oil in a huge pot, on medium heat.
    - Add the meat. Add salt and pepper. Cook it for about 10 minutes on medium heat. Lower the heat if it's crisping up or looking like it's getting too tough. Increase the heat if it looks like nothing's happening. You just want it to brown slowly. Every couple of minutes, turn the pieces over so all the sides of the meat cubes get cooked.
    - When the meat is browned, take it out of the pot and set it to one side on a plate.
    - Put the onions into that same pot. Fry them until they look translucent. Add a little more oil if the onions look like they're starting to burn.
    - Add the meat back into the pot. Cook the meat and onions together for another 10 minutes, stirring now and then, until the onions start to look golden brown. (You might want to turn the heat down if your stove gets too hot.)
    - Add the carrots and celery to the pot. Cook/stir for another 3-5 minutes.
    - Add the 2 cans of tomatoes (including the water they're in), 1/2 can of tap water, the chicken bouillon cubes, and 1/2 a glass of red wine.
    - Bring all this to a boil. Let it boil for about a minute.
    - Then, cover the pot with a lid and turn the heat down low. Let it cook for 1 and a half hours.

It's really, really good, promise :)
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My Mom's best friend when I was growing up made a super simple vegetable soup. It really is good, and healthy.

Frozen mixed vegetables
    V-8 juice

That's it

As an adult I make it, but sometimes I add some beef broth, and potatoes. Garlic is good with it as well.
  • chetrog
    chetrog Posts: 18
    Options
    My Mom's best friend when I was growing up made a super simple vegetable soup. It really is good, and healthy.

Frozen mixed vegetables
    V-8 juice

That's it

As an adult I make it, but sometimes I add some beef broth, and potatoes. Garlic is good with it as well.

If i was going to make this, would you/anyone know what type of noodles i should use. Iow carb/low calories. I know nothing about food other then McDonalds. Also would i need to good the stuff, or just heat it up? Thanks everyone. I like the idea of just using stuff i want to use. I can then just make a serving or 2 and not making 8 servings witch I would just eat all at one time.
  • pvalze
    pvalze Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi Chetrog! I'm an italian guy, I can suggest u a soup really healty and without any fat. Take an half onion, cut it in thight slices, and put them in a pot with a glass of water (normally u should use a bit of oil, but we are trying to reduce fat, aren't we? :). After that, cut in little pieces two or three zucchini. Wash a can of beans or lentils, which do u prefer, and put all in the pot. Cover all with water, but keep attention, just cover without fill the pot! Now, salt it and cook for 30 minutes. At the and, mix all with a minipimer, and... eat it! U can add a bit of olive oil. Join the meal! :)