When was you "Oh Hell No" Moment

Options

Replies

• ShannaAutry26
    Options
    I've had a few - my biggest one was not being able to fit in a roller coaster at Dollywood. I had to do the walk of shame and was humiliated beyond words.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    What got me back on track this time happened the day before Thanksgiving. I was at work and was in the restroom. I had to suck my gut in to zip my pants, which should've been bad enough, but when I let my gut out the zipper busted. I had to go home and change clothes.
  • ichbinjana
    ichbinjana Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of sewing. After taking a break for a couplr months I got back into it and made a skirt to fit my normal measurements, but when I tried it on for fit it was noticeably smaller that it was supposed to be. So I remeasured the skirt, and then myself, and I realized I'd gained 2.5 inches in my waist over the course of 2 months.
  • haileyfeldt
    Options
    I went to see my psychiatrist and at the first appointment of every year he updates my weight, height, etc. We then found out I had gained 18 pounds in the past year and he asked me "What are you doing to yourself?!?" and left straight from there to go grocery shopping.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I was getting a quote on life insurance and after completing all the apps, they gave me a quote and proceeded to the health screening portion. They came back with a REVISED quote, increased by about $20/month due to my weight. Um, I was too fat to get a normal life insurance rate?? HELL NO. I knew I needed to lose weight anyway, just could never find the motivation to do it. Thank you, Nationwide- I'm now down 40/100 that I need to lose!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    When I saw a picture of myself and didn't realize it was me! Until I said "Oh I have a shirt like that...oh that's my shirt...oh that's me!!!"
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Great stories , everyone
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    On and off dieting for my whole life... Stepped on the scale at my friends house (i didnt own a scale) and saw that i weighed 211 lbs and i was only 5'2''!! total wake up call!!! my two other friends were there, we were all heavy, so they suggested all weighing in together and trying to lose weight on a diet. I am TOTALLY NOT on a diet. I just changed my whole lifestyle. 11 months later, i'm 4 months pregnant with my second child and i weight 159 lbs. and they actually still weight the same. my point with that is diets DO NOT work... one of those two friends was always trying to get me to hardcore work out with her, or restrict certain foods... if i mentioned i was having dessert or something that night she would give me a hard time. i had to tell her over and over again that i wasn't restricting anything and if she didn't like eating something that she needs to focus on keeping it out of her own mouth, not mine lol
  • hockeymomrw
    hockeymomrw Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My moment was when I went to buy new pants for my work. I grabbed a 10 (which I though was my size) and 12 (in case I needed more room). Then I said, "I know I'm not a 14 but I'll take em just in case." Fast forward...I couldn't do anything with the 10 or the 12 and I was literally busting out of the size 14.They were so tight; you could see every dip and dimple. I said, "Oh it must be these pants." So, I tried on two more pair in different styles still sizes 10, 12, and 14. (I think I'm a gluton for punishment!) It seemed like things got worse...The pants got smaller and tighter.

I'm staring a new job at the end of August... I absolutely refuse to buy a size 16!!! No way! No how!! Oh Hell Naw!!!!! I'm getting back in those 10s!!!!!!

Pretty much the same for me! Tried the 12.. didn't fit..14 pretty tight. I realized the clothes in regular stores would soon not fit me...I knew then and there I had to do something.

Also a person I had just met told me she was going to run a marathon this summer and I said I was also going to run a marathon (which in fact is true, but I need to get in shape for it). She looked at me and then looked up and down at my body and then acted like she didn't believe me! Wow....
  • stargazr24
    stargazr24 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mine was going to the Dr yesterday and he sent me to a weight loss clinic. He told me some very scary things about my health. I thought Hell no, I'm too young for this!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I got a new job after a long period of unemployment. I had no money and none of my work clothes fit! I was really uncomfortable for a couple of months.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This:
    uvyluym6pnhm.jpg

That was taken a couple of years ago. It shocked me. I didn't know I looked that bad.

Even though I knew I needed to lose weight, I was in a deep depression at the time and it took me almost two years to pull myself together enough to make a real attempt. I've been logging and losing now for about 8 months, ~40lbs down.

359g67o.jpg

• Sercee
    Sercee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My first one was about 5 years ago when I went swimming with some friends. I was treading water and I realized I could barely breathe - the pressure of the water on my chest made me gasp for air, but when I was a teenager I was a lifeguard and had been swimming since I could walk. I got laid off around that time and ended up slowly but surely losing about 40lbs. Last summer I had put about 10 of it back on but was still fit - I did a 5 day back country hike up Berg Lake Trail with a 40lb back pack. The day after I got back to work I was laid off again and took it much harder than I though. Between that depression and just how poorly I was taking care of myself in general I found myself closing in on my old weight. That feeling was closing in that I knew I had to get back on track soon but I couldn't quite make the choice. Then I saw a new picture of my fiance and I from the bar that month. Between that and our upcoming wedding I've hit the ground running again, and I am NOT going back.
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I walked around with my pants unbuttoned for at least 3 months haha. Eventually I got sick of it.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Mine was after I had my heart broken after a breakup I had some friends take me out and one took a picture of me and I just knew it was time for a change. The next day I laced up my sneakers and ran til I couldn't breathe. Then I signed up for MFP. I also have the added anxiety of being a bridesmaid at my brothers wedding in June and those are pictures I DON'T want to look bad in!
  • htyler77
    htyler77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For me it was when I realized that while I love food, every time I ate I felt sick. It was as if I was always full, and never had room to enjoy food and feel good about eating it. Since using MFP to watch portions (and exercise more), I get a little hungry between meals and feel satisfied instead of sick after eating. I also saw pictures of myself that I didn't especially enjoy, but it was my loss of food enjoyment that was the biggest motivator.
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I was starting to get rolls on the back of my neck, i was 220 pounds.I have only lost 15 pounds by far, but can totally feel the difference already :)
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    My moment....

Ruptured Brain Aneurysm (subarachnoid hemorrhage) July 2014... while weight was NOT a contributing factor it puts you into the "WTF am I doing with myself" mode... After I recovered, I came back to MFP and just started logging food... now I have added quitting smoking to the mix and next I will get back into working out.

The working out portion is the hard part because I was working out when it ruptured.. so its a paranoia for me at the moment ... my goal is definitely get healthier so I don't randomly die at the age of 41.
  • elocinwright
    elocinwright Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lately, it has been every time I look in the mirror after taking a shower. I literally stand there for a couple of minutes totally disgusted at what I am seeing! I know how to eat and loose weight, I just have to actually DO IT!!! I joined WW and lost weight, then quit WW and gained it back. I am ready this time.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Mine was a 1-2-3 punch over the course of the weekend after Christmas. Went to a movie and could barely walk up the stairs to our seats. Huffed and puffed for 10 minutes I sat down. That was Friday night. Saturday night, my daughter tells me she wants me to be around when she and her boyfriend get married. And then that Monday, I couldn't get into the pants I'd worn this past September.