Feeling cold since starting MFP

Options
Started MFP again this week, started on Monday. Felt fine for first 3 days but been starving and FREEZING yesterday and today. My nose is so cold right now :(

Does anyone else feel cold when eating less?

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Go speak with your doctor not randoms on a message board.
  • Sagenettle
    Sagenettle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced that myself, and I'm not sure how eating better for only a few days would cause such a reaction. Maybe you're getting sick, but if you're seriously concerned about it then yes you should see your doctor.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    yes it is quite normal though only if you are not eating enough to fuel your body (as in too low even taking into account you are trying to lose weight) It happened to me when I tried the 5:2 diet on the very low cal days though plenty of others have used that diet and been fine
  • Want2bthin135
    Want2bthin135 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking a lot of water? I find that when I drink cold water it makes me cold.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but it's been unusually cold and windy in a lot of the US and Canada for the past few days. So maybe it's as simple as that. We tend to feel hungry when we're cold--cooking and eating something tasty makes us FEEL warm and cozy, and I'm sure at some point in human history, the subconscious urge to fatten up for insulation made sense. Hot liquids are your friend. If you don't actually want to drink the tea, you can still clutch the cup.
  • fattymcfatterson2121
    Options
    Thanks @jonnyman41, I think it is more of a female thing. Why even bother wasting your time being so rude @tedebearduff, clearly you don't understand the purpose of a forum.
  • fattymcfatterson2121
    Options
    @want2bethin135 I have been drinking water but not THAT much. I generally feel the cold a lot though, just even more in the past 2 days.
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yeah, cause it's cold. It's been drastically colder everywhere in the US for the past few days.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I'm colder this year than I was last year, but I've lost ~40lbs since this time last year. So I have less insulation.

But after only a few days of dieting, I wouldn't think that being cold is weight loss related.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am always cold lol ... like seriously... I can't control body temperature that well and even through most of the summer I am wearing a hoodie lol

The last 2 days are KILLING me... There are only so many clothes that I can put on...
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    It happened to get REALLY cold in most parts of the US in the last week and that seems to be about when your cold-ness started. Coincidence, I think not. I am down 45 pounds and definitely feel more cold than I used to, but I think some of that can be attributed to the fact that I've lost 45 pounds. After just a few days of dieting, I strongly doubt you've lost any insulation.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're not eating way too little, you shouldn't feel particularly cold due to eating below maintenance. It really has been chilly in general in the US though, and (as an experienced Minnesotan) it can make your heating system struggle a bit so the temperature inside isn't quite where it should be.

However, I'm down 70 pounds since last winter so I'm just always cold. More motivation to exercise and take hot showers to warm up though!
  • FallToRise
    FallToRise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    After I lost most of my weight I developed Raynaulds Syndrome which is very common for colder climates and more common in women.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Go speak with your doctor not randoms on a message board.

This!!!

But since losing ALOT of weight, I'm constantly cold now too. I guess it's the lack of insulating fat... LOL
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    jonnyman41 wrote: »
    yes it is quite normal though only if you are not eating enough to fuel your body (as in too low even taking into account you are trying to lose weight) It happened to me when I tried the 5:2 diet on the very low cal days though plenty of others have used that diet and been fine

Me too actually.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm always cold when eating less. Your body doesn't have as much energy to burn since you're eating less. I don't even have to eat that much less to be cold, just a couple hundred calories. Also, losing fat means losing insulation. I don't think it's something you need to run to the doctor about...
  • fattymcfatterson2121
    Options
    thanks @superfox12082‌, glad to see someone else feels the same and that I don't need to go to a doctor ;)

I am based in the UK and it has pretty much been freezing for the whole week with a massive storm last night. I generally always feel the cold, just more so recently.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I feel cold constantly when I'm drinking my water like I should.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It is really cold out. I do think I am feeling the cold a bit more than I would have previously but I have lost some insulating fat so it makes sense. I put on a sweater, drink some hot tea, and turn up the heat. Exercise is also a really great way to warm up. :smile: I am not starving though.

If you've only been doing this since Monday you probably haven't lost much insulation yet. Are you eating at an appropriate level or did you cut your calories down too drastically?