crossfit

Options
I recently started doing crossfit however I don't see many those exercises listed to try count calories. Anyone know best way track this? I don't have fitbit.

Replies

• ian407
    ian407 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I saw a small study reported men and women burned on ave 21 and 12 (resp.) cal/min. It only had 16 participants. It's a base line.
  • p2smommy
    Options
    I've been doing it for 3 weeks now, and have worn my HRM each time I've worked out. The 4 "beginner" sessions required didn't burn but about 200 in an hour.. HOWEVER, the info from ian407 does compare pretty closely to what I am getting. My figures are right around 13/min burned.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I burn closer to 5-6 cals per minute, @165 average heart rate, 183 max. . My old hrm had me burning 10/ minute, I never lost. Switched to a better hrm and got a lower number. Better to underestimate. Online calculators maybe helpful.
  • brandi9172
    brandi9172 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Whatever you use as a number, only eat back about 1/2 or so of your calories...if even that. You'll get better results that way. It seems that MFP over estimates the amount of calories burned doing anything at all. :)
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Start with "Circuit Training, General" as a decent estimate. I agree with brandi9172, MFP's exercise calculators tend to over-estimate.

Personally I use my heart rate monitor then convert that to calories burned at http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx then convert the gross burn to net. Rarely do I eat the calories back.

That same site has an activity-based calculator which tends to be slightly more conservative than MFP:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/activity-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx#

Look under Activity Category: Conditioning Exercise, you'll find "circuit training, including some aerobic movement with minimal rest, general" which pretty much sums up Crossfit.
  • kynurse83
    kynurse83 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for feedback.
    I never trust heart monitors be completely accurate.
    I see dietitian also so I'm only supposed eat under 1300 calories no matter what I work out
  • sofyruiz1990
    Options
    Crossfitt its the best workout
    I have doing it about 3 years ago and i see a lot of transformecion :)
  • OAKCOACH
    OAKCOACH Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is reasonably easy to figure out. Since a mainstay of most CF gyms is "Row for Calories" you should have an idea of the perceived effort it takes to burn, say 15 calories in one minute (.75 calories per rep). Many CF exercises are about the same in terms of cal/rep: AAB, Burpee (weight dependent) Light weightlifting for instance. Some are easier (sit-up, push-up etc.). Some are harder (heavy deadlift, pull-up with weight vest, etc.). So using row as your baseline, you could guess that if you do 20 reps per minute, your "Fight Gone Bad"! Score of 300 will translate to 300 calories burned in 15 minutes, or 1200 calories per hour. If you are a beginner and are getting 150 Rx it will be half that. Some of the briefer more intense WODs will have an insane cal per hour rate if you are any good. Let's say you can hit "Fran" Rx in 5:00. I would guestimate 1.25 cal per rep, so 90 reps times 1.25 cal = 135 cal in 5:00 or 2700 calories per hour. Of course the whole point is you cannot keep this up. On the other hand, "Murph" with a weight vest is sustainable for around an hour if you are decent. Probably 600 calories for the reps and another 300 for the runs, so 900 calories per hour and 900 calories actually burned. Hope this helps.