20/20 Diet (Dr Phil)

Options
Suezyq47
Suezyq47 Posts: 199 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, is anyone else on the 20/20 Diet (Dr Phil's Turn Yor Weight Loss Into Reality)? I started on Jan1st and am down 6.2 lbs already. So far I am liking the food choices in Phase 1 of the diet and I am not feeling hungry between meals. I will be starting Phase 2 the day after tomorrow which introduces more food choices and 15 more recipes. The recipes and foods are simple and you can find everything in the grocery store. There are no weird food combinations or things that I would not try. I think this diet will be one that will help me to change the way I eat long term since it has normal food in it. I have tried many fad diets in the past that also worked but gained the weight back and more because I was unwilling to continue to eat the way the fad diet had me eating.

This is a New Year and I am hoping to re-shape my body and my health once and for all!

Sue

Replies

• Zhost
    Zhost Posts: 97
    Options
    If it works for you and you think you can stick with it long term keep at it.

We should only lose weight with what we're comfortable with doing/eating as long as it works.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Most of what you lost is water weight. And you can lose weight without going on a diet.. just eat the same foods you eat now, but less of it. Losing weight on donuts and chocolate is much more enjoyable than having to follow a script.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    if it works for you, great! expect slow weight loss within a couple weeks, you're shedding water now. with all due respect to the poster above me, losing weight on chocolate and donuts isn't a particularly good idea. i haven't read dr.phil's book but i'm just going to assume he includes a lot of nutritious foods and discourages a lot of fat/sugar/chemical laden foods.

that's not to say i don't have the occasional donut myself.....
  • Ishtancon
    Ishtancon Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I really do not know how to put this, but I am a little concerned. Please do not take this as discouragement or disrespect. I want you to achieve your weight loss goal, but I want you to be healthy while achieving your goal.

You may want to consider slowing down the weight loss. 6.2 lbs in 4 days is over a pound a day. Most medical professionals will tell you about 1-2 lbs a week is where you want to be. You do not want to dehydrate yourself to get weight loss. Your body needs water to function, and always seek a doctors opinion on what you need to be doing. Dr. Phill does not count.

Loosing weight too fast does not tend to last in the long run. Often people who drop weight too quickly tend to gain it back plus some.

I am not telling this to as a doctor, which I am not, I just want you to succeed in your goal and make a lasting, healthy impact on your body that you are happy with. This just seem a bit too fast from what I understand about weight loss.

• twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It's only an initial drop Ishtancon, a bit like me dropping 1.8kg in the 3 days since I got back to tracking things. It's not going to keep going like this and I don't want it to, but I'll take the boost from that loss and run with it ;) Oh and I eat all normal food and have lost my weight in the past doing just that. I broke my leg and couldn't exercise, hence the big break from MFP and the startover last week.
  • Suezyq47
    Options
    Well I am sure it's water loss and time will tell how well this diet works. So far it's going great and I am feeling just fine. I like the foods in the diet and like that I am not hungry between meals. I am finishing the 1st phase today and looking forward to more food choices and recipes starting tomorrow.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Ishtancon wrote: »
    I really do not know how to put this, but I am a little concerned. Please do not take this as discouragement or disrespect. I want you to achieve your weight loss goal, but I want you to be healthy while achieving your goal.

You may want to consider slowing down the weight loss. 6.2 lbs in 4 days is over a pound a day. Most medical professionals will tell you about 1-2 lbs a week is where you want to be. You do not want to dehydrate yourself to get weight loss. Your body needs water to function, and always seek a doctors opinion on what you need to be doing. Dr. Phill does not count.

Loosing weight too fast does not tend to last in the long run. Often people who drop weight too quickly tend to gain it back plus some.

I am not telling this to as a doctor, which I am not, I just want you to succeed in your goal and make a lasting, healthy impact on your body that you are happy with. This just seem a bit too fast from what I understand about weight loss.
    It's her first week of weight loss. She could lose 10 lbs and it wouldn't matter or be unsafe. Nearly everyone loses weight in the form of stored glycogen and water their first week of weight loss. I generally lose 5 or more myself when I switch to fat loss phases. It is only a concern if the OP would continue to lose at that rate after the first week or two. Unless she is eating next to nothing, that won't happen. I don't think much of Dr. Phil but I'm certain he's not putting people on starvation diets.

• Mreczek75
    Mreczek75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have this book and I am starting on Monday! Sounds so interesting! I hope to lose some weight!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Suzy, wonderful you have found a fun diet you like!

It really does come down to a calorie deficit, but type of eating plan/diet is individual.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    If it's something you can follow, then have at it!!! A lot of people have trouble finding things that work for them, so that's a big thing to find something that is pretty easy to follow and fits your lifestyle.

I will tell you that the first week of any new program, most people will loose anywhere from 5-8 or so pounds (I've seen men lose 11 pounds the first week!). A lot of it is water weight. At some point, it will likely taper down to somewhere between 0-2 pounds.

I know he (Dr. Phil) probably got a bunch of nutritionists/dieticians together to develop this program, but he isn't himself a bariatric doctor. Someone suggested to me today that his actual degree is really in anthropology. I haven't checked that out, but sounds amusing if it's true.

Anyway, not saying you will, but if you come across a glitch, it may be a good idea to find your own nutritionist to help you.
  • cml922
    cml922 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Sue!
    I also started this on January 1st! It's my second day in phase 2, and I've lost 7 pounds as of today. I know I am eating enough (because I have been tracking 1,500 calories-although some days I have 100-200 calories left) I am sure it is mostly water weight because I have taken out most of the salt, sugar, and carbs from my diet. I still have a lot of weight to lose!
    All-in-all, I like the book and have found I am not hungry in between meals. I think the trick about really listening to my body has helped. Asking myself if I'm really hungry... Or if I'm emotionally eating. Remembering to use food for nutritional purposes has also been helpful.
    Hope Phase 2 is going great for you!

Keep it up!!

-Carolyn
    Brooklyn, NY
  • Suezyq47
    Options
    cml922 wrote: »
    Hi Sue!
    I also started this on January 1st! It's my second day in phase 2, and I've lost 7 pounds as of today. I know I am eating enough (because I have been tracking 1,500 calories-although some days I have 100-200 calories left) I am sure it is mostly water weight because I have taken out most of the salt, sugar, and carbs from my diet. I still have a lot of weight to lose!
    All-in-all, I like the book and have found I am not hungry in between meals. I think the trick about really listening to my body has helped. Asking myself if I'm really hungry... Or if I'm emotionally eating. Remembering to use food for nutritional purposes has also been helpful.
    Hope Phase 2 is going great for you!

Keep it up!!

-Carolyn
    Brooklyn, NY

Carolyn Phase 2 is going great so far. I was also down 7 lbs when I weighed the day before yesterday (day 1 in Phase 2). I will be done Phase 2 on Saturday and I am feeling great so far, no hunger between meals and feeling satisfied with what I am eating! The recipes are simple and tasty and I am thinking that I have finally found a eating plan that I can learn from and sustain long term. From reading the comments posted, I know it is all about calorie deficit to lose weight, the problem I was having was finding a way of eating that was healthy and tasty so I could do it long term. I weigh in on Saturday as part of a challenge here on MFP, so I know I am down more but not sure how much. I only want to weigh once a week and also at each Phase of the diet to keep track. Also, I have lost inches too!

Hope Phase 2 goes well for you too! I am sending you a friend request if you don't mind:-)

Sue

• Suezyq47
    Options
    Mreczek75 wrote: »
    I have this book and I am starting on Monday! Sounds so interesting! I hope to lose some weight!

Good for you. I am sure you will lose weight too!

Sue

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Congrats!

I haven't done one specific diet, but have done different weird, fun things to try. It's fun to switch things up and keep it interesting. :)

Whatever works!
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Ishtancon wrote: »

Don't worry, you didn't really lose 6 pounds that quickly. Scale fluctuations.
  • pgoodt1994
    pgoodt1994 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sue if that's what works for you, then continue on. I would be interested in getting some more information on this before I buy the book to see if it is something I think I could do. Would you mind messaging me?
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I just started reading the book yesterday. :) Lets see what happens.
  • Andee2000
    Andee2000 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Suezyq47 wrote: »
    Hi, is anyone else on the 20/20 Diet (Dr Phil's Turn Yor Weight Loss Into Reality)? I started on Jan1st and am down 6.2 lbs already. So far I am liking the food choices in Phase 1 of the diet and I am not feeling hungry between meals. I will be starting Phase 2 the day after tomorrow which introduces more food choices and 15 more recipes. The recipes and foods are simple and you can find everything in the grocery store. There are no weird food combinations or things that I would not try. I think this diet will be one that will help me to change the way I eat long term since it has normal food in it. I have tried many fad diets in the past that also worked but gained the weight back and more because I was unwilling to continue to eat the way the fad diet had me eating.

This is a New Year and I am hoping to re-shape my body and my health once and for all!

Sue

I haven't read the book, but finding something you are happy with and getting results is great. I wish you much success on your journey!
  • Suezyq47
    Options
    I am finished Phase 2 of this diet today and I am down 7.4 lbs since starting. The first intial drop was obviously water loss, but I am sure I am losing fat now. I have also lost some inches! The best thing is that I have not been hungry between meals and I am finding the food combinations tasty. I think this diet will help me to change the way I eat long term. Feeling great so far!
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Quick question, Suezqu47: My wife & I are very interested in this book (we really like Dr. Phil), but we're vegetarians. With the food choices, would we be able to follow this diet, or is it not veggie friendly?