Food Prepping

Options
Hello

I was wondering if anyone does this for the week. If so what do I do for fruit and vegetables as it will go brown after a day or 2.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I don't pre-cut fruit but I do cut up and wash my veggies and place in a large covered glass bowl. I steam in microwave for 3 minutes, drain the excess water, add a tablespoon or 2 of olive oil (depending on amount of veggies) and my favorite spices.
    I then mix everything, cover and place in fridge.
    I eat a lot of veggies so with this method I only get 2-3 days out of it, but that's fine for me. I love fresh veggies!
  • Mhari2015
    Mhari2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was thinking a protein, rice, vegetables and maybe a drizzle of sauce. I am only prepping lunches as I am doing this for two :smile: . Maybe some breakfast aswell.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add, some veggies I prefer to roast, such as eggplant and some root veggies.
    If I can't find good fresh veggies, I rarely use frozen cause I just buy whatever's in season.
  • Mhari2015
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was thinking sweet potatoes and maybe frozen veg with the rice because its better than nothing. Once you prep your fruit does it go brown half way through the day?
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I do this every Sunday for my lunches. I have one container that has my protein, a complex carb, and a veggie. This week I have two options: 1 is 4 oz of lean hamburger, 1 cup of green beans, and 125 grams of sweet potato or the second is 5 oz of grilled chicken, 1/2 cup black beans, and 1 cup frozen carrots. I've noticed that after I get that portioned out, I can freeze them in their containers and they stay good for up to several weeks before freezer burn sets in. That way I can make several different things and use them over the course of several weeks to keep my lunches from getting boring. Then I add in 100-150 grams of strawberries or blueberries in another container. I've noticed that I can cut (not wash) my berries on Sunday and put them in their containers and they stay perfectly fine in the fridge for up to a week with no browning/etc.

For veggies, I suggest using frozen since they are closest to fresh and offer some flexibility. I will substitute things like zucchini, squash, etc. when the seasons are right. I usually cook them prior to portioning out for the week.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I really just prep food to save time. For example on Sundays I'll cook up a pot of steel cut oatmeal and put them in a few individual glass containers for the week. All I have to do is heat one up and put on my toppings before eating.

Or I will cut up chicken for kebobs and marinate them overnight. The next day I'll put into a freezer bag and freeze. Later in the week when I'm ready to cook it, all I have to do is defrost, put them in skewers and grill.

Other times I will make a bunch of basic chicken burritos (without the veggies or cheese) or homemade blueberry pancakes at once and freeze them for another time.

Doing this has made my life much easier, but for the most part I don't care for cutting up fruits and veggies days in advance, although I do slice up onions and cut beets into squares and freeze for my smoothies.

• Mhari2015
    Options
    I'm also thinking about Sundays too while watching stuff on the laptop of course :smiley:

How do I defrost Veg and sauces? Such as sweet potatoe mash I was thinking to fridge it because if I defrost, it will mainly be water haha
  • Mhari2015
    Options
    Also I was genuinely thinking it would be only proteins I would need to freeze
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't prep the fruits and veggies, just the proteins and carbs.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A prep that I'm experimenting with is making grilled chicken breast strips in bulk and then freezing them. Home-made results in $5.50/lb and 170mg sodium per 3oz, whereas ready-made is either $6/lb and 440mg per 3oz, $10/lb and 350mg sodium per 3oz, or $12 and 290mg sodium per 3oz.

Once in this form they can then be conveniently added to salads, tacos, sandwiches, stir-fry, etc., or simply frozen until another day when it's needed.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    I prep my breakfasts and lunches for the week every Sunday. I only do it for me, since my hubbie-to-be likes to use his lunch hour as time away from the office. I also plan all of our dinners out the weekend before, so I don't fall into just ordering a pizza.

Breakfast is usually a banana first thing (I hit the gym in the morning), then something more complex after. This week I've been doing a hard boiled egg and oatmeal with a drizzle of real maple syrup. Sometimes it's greek yogurt and fresh berries, or a quick veggie scramble. All I have to do is actually cook the oatmeal/eggs other than boiled and it's a nice hot breakfast.

I normally bring two hard boiled eggs with me and eat the whites as a mid-morning snack. Sometimes one of the yolks if I feel like I need it, but it's more than I don't really like them than trying to save the calories. Ha.

Lunches I plan the same thing every day because then I can cook a single big recipe. I end up eating at my desk, so it's kind of mindless and I don't really miss the variety. I always do a lean protein (chicken, tuna, shrimp, etc) and some kind of veggie. This week I cooked an entire pork tenderloin and roasted brussel sprouts. In the summer I'll prep a salad base (lettuce and other veggies), protein, and a homemade dressing so I just have to mix them together at lunch time.

I keep a small supply of healthy snacks in my office in case I'm stuck late, or just extra hungry. Currently I have Larabars, mini boxes of raisins, and freeze dried fruit crisps. I also keep a reusable cup filled at all times to remind me to keep drinking water!
  • Mhari2015
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks so much guys I can't wait to start on Sunday. Thinking of starting a Dietary Tumblr to add photos so I can keep track of them all. Will send you the link when I do :smiley:

As for the great food ideas keep them coming as I was only going to do rice protein and veg
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I don't prep for the week- I prep nightly. I make my breakfast and lunch for the next day and my lunch usually consists of leftover dinner. If I am not taking leftovers for lunch, I do my veggie washing and cutting the night before.
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I love to have hot soup for lunches in the winter so I make up big batches of soup, usually 3 different ones and freeze in single serving containers or even ziplock bags. The 3 I just made are lentil/kale, white bean chicken chili, and a chicken/vegetable/barley. This will last me a couple months.

I've also made a meatloaf with potatoes and divided that into 8 servings and freeze them individually so I can grab and go in the morning.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I prep whenever I can whether it's a weeknight or weekend.....I will roast chicken thighs and sweet potatoes, then keep them in large containers in the fridge for everyone to grab from. I'll do a large-ish batch of steamed broccoli that lasts a few days. Will cut up canteloupe and watermelon and leave in big containers as well. They last about 4 days.

I also prep a cucumber/cherry tomato/red onion salad mix that keeps for a while.

I always have several days worth of a Quinoa/Steelcut Oats breakfast thing I eat regularily in the fridge.

Whatever I make I try to do enough for several meals. Pulled pork, chicken/pork taco meat, chicken breast or thigh, etc. Will leave it in large containers and then add to rice, or scrambled eggs, or whatever.

You kind of get into a routine when you figure out what you like and end up eating more of in general.
  • ChristineCain
    ChristineCain Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I usually prep a few days at a time. Some is based off of what I have as a meal at dinner the night before. Other times its chicken breast I have grilled and measured out for 3-4 days. I don't cut fruits out ahead of time, just as previous posters have mentioned, for fear of them going back too quickly.

I do hard-boiled (sometimes a dozen) eggs on Sunday (split them each day with the hubs). Buy yogurt (either the single serving or large container and measure out) and add fresh fruit/nuts.

There are so many easy things to preplan that make the few things that aren't worth preplanning that much quicker.
  • grapefruitannie
    grapefruitannie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    how long does Quinoa last in the fridge cooked please?
  • ColoradoBringItOn
    ColoradoBringItOn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I prep some foods for a few days in advance. I always make enough quinoa for 3 days. After that it starts to go funky/moldy in my experience. Chicken breasts taste funky by day 3 so I try to only cook 1-2 breasts at a time and then cut them up. I bake yams in advance and those last about 5-6 days before they get kind of stale tasting. I've cooked veggies in advance and they go nasty after a day so it's not worth doing a ton of those ahead of time. And hard boiled eggs are good for about 3 days before they start to turn. That about sums up what I make ahead,
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of prep "rounds" a month.

The big ones are when we go shopping
    When i come home i cut all my meat and fish into portions ( every piece get weighed) and frozen.
    The chicken breast i cut of the fat parts ( i by with rib meat) and that goes into a soup what is boiling while i am doing all of this cutting and portion making.

I leave some chicken out for dry roasting ( nice over salads) and so cut them into half inches and put them on a baking sheet, some spices over them and than in the oven Let them slowly dry out about 350F( some hours depends on the size) Those stay good for some days.

Than the veggies and herbs get weighed, cut up Some get frozen. All the cut offs, like the top of celery, and the ends of parsley etc i do straight away in the soup that is still boiling

Fruit i dont pre cut.

When i am done all my meat/fish veggies and herbs are in portions in the fridge/freezer.
    And i have about 6 portions of nice soup. After cooling down i freeze 3 and keep 3 out.

Than through the week i cook indeed my rice/Quinoa for 2 to 3 days.

All this portion making and pre weighing saves me time when i cook in the evenings.
    I just grab the bags,box look how much it is and cook.

For some meals ( we like stir fry meals a lot too). i make a double and or eat it the next day or freeze it.
    Also crockpot meals like chilli and chicken curry. Most of the time i make about 6 portions. And freeze those.

• Mhari2015
    Options
    Here's mine