eggs

How does your small egg at 50 calories go to 200 as a hard boiled egg

Replies

• Whitty1982
    Whitty1982 Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2015
    Probably bad data. As long as the content doesn't change, the calories should not change that much. Cooking eggs different ways can change the nutrients you get from it though - at least that's what the livestrong website says.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    It's an incorrect entry, or you accidentally logged 4 of them.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    edited January 2015
    You have to pay attention to the serving descripton. That 200+ calories is for 1 cup chopped. If you go through the drop down list, there are several other options.

ETA: And as others have pointed out, there is plenty of bad info in the database. You don't have to get that specific though. If you're hard boiling a small egg, the calories aren't going to change, you can still log it as a small egg. Frying on the other hand could add calories as there would be added fat and calories from the butter/oil/grease used.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Be critical of the entries in the database, most are user-submitted. Feel free to mark an entry you know to be inaccurate as such.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    it doesn't. Sometimes food items are listed as the food itself, but are prepared. For example I'm searching for green cabbage, (raw) and some of them have really high calories, but only because they are prepared in oil and other things are added. Cooked and raw are the same calories, unless you add something to them.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Whitty1982 wrote: »
    Probably bad data

^^This. There's a done of bad data in the database. Choose wisely.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Just log the raw egg. Then if you add anything to the egg log that separate. Forget about the cooked entries - you have no idea what people might be doing and adding when they are cooking.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    It doesn't. Choose the correct item (the "whole egg, raw" with no asterisk in front of it). Log its weight, or choose the graded size (small, med, jumbo, etc.) if you don't have a scale. Log that as your hard boiled egg.
  • benhur wrote: »

I wondered that myself.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    benhur wrote: »

Your best bet is to log it as a Egg (irrespective of shape/size / hard / soft boiled) entry in grams

100 grams Egg = 155 Calories

However if you are eating omelette add the ingredients separately.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    You have to pay attention to the serving descripton. That 200+ calories is for 1 cup chopped. If you go through the drop down list, there are several other options.

ETA: And as others have pointed out, there is plenty of bad info in the database. You don't have to get that specific though. If you're hard boiling a small egg, the calories aren't going to change, you can still log it as a small egg. Frying on the other hand could add calories as there would be added fat and calories from the butter/oil/grease used.

truth%20out%20there%20sm.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    benhur wrote: »

I wondered that myself.

It doesn't....