I want to eat more fish.

Options

Replies

• megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I've found I really like tilapia. I usually take 6-8 fillets and put two in foil packets with different flavors. Old Bay Seasoning, butter and garlic, soy and ginger and one with a light sprinkle of cocoa powder and smoked paprika. I grill them until the edges are crispy and they're fairly well done because the texture of a softly cooked middle gets to me sometimes.
  • pagefan
    pagefan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    love fish. love salmon. NOT a fan of any kind of frozen fish though. found a recipe a few years ago that was "designed" to have kids try to eat more fish, specifically salmon.. and I've made this for company and people love it. Pan sear it, both sides (I always ask for the skin to be removed before I cook it.) Salmon has a lot of oil, and needs NO more.. I use s/ lemon pepper, garlic, sometimes cheat by using essences like "fish seasoning", lime chili, anything like that. let it sear.. cover with a a can of drained sweet corn, top with an entire container of washed dried arugula. the bitter mixes with the sweet, and it's DELICIOUS... try it.. yeah, you end up with something that looks like wet grass but it is so good...
  • pagefan
    pagefan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    oh oops, ten minutes per inch.. it's seared and then poaching, so just till it flakes. you don't want it overdone.
  • JaneECS
    JaneECS Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Mahi-mahi, lovely stuff, can't get that in the UK. I like it wrapped in low fat ham and baked with veggies. Actually I like it with prosciutto, but hey ho! If you are on Facebook, check out a group called Low Calorie Meal Ideas. We all contribute recipes and there seems to be a bit of a run on fish dishes right now.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    A little teriyaki sauce goes a long way on fish. It's a flavor that dovetails with it nicely and makes it take a little less, well, fishy.

As much as I love salmon, I'd say go with a mild-flavored fish like tilapia. Easy, too, since it usually comes frozen, individually packaged. I just put it in an oiled dish, brush it with a little olive oil, dash of lemon juice and bake. Or, you could bake it and go the teriyaki route if you want to disguise it a little more. I've found curry powder + sweet red chili sauce to be good on salmon, but haven't tried it with a milder fish.

Another good way to eat tilapia is to dip it in cornmeal/salt/pepper and fry it. Not as low-cal, but if you're learning to like a food, you may have to splurge a bit until you get more used to the taste. It's like putting cheese on your kid's broccoli until he/she gets used to the taste of broccoli. The parmesan-crusted tilapia you can find in the frozen sections is also pretty good. I've made it myself with about half and half bread crumbs and parmesan, then baked.

Now, if I could only get myself to learn to eat sardines. They were tolerable mixed with avocado...
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I used to be super anti-fish, but as I've started eating more of it because my aunt (who did the cooking) liked it, it's not so awful. First tip: start with white fish like walleye, tilapia, swai, etc. It's significantly less fishy tasting, though usually not quite as nutrient dense. You can also opt for fresh fish, which will have a much less fishy taste in general. If it smells like fish, it's getting old.

A favorite recipe of mine for white fish is homemade fish sticks. I usually cut the breading and egg whites in half for 3 fillets (but keep all the cheese to help it stick). Don't be afraid to add spices to your mix too for some more flavorful fish sticks. They average to about 50 calories a fish stick, or 200 calories per fillet.

If you're set on salmon or other red fish, something I've found to be delicious is hoisin glazed salmon. Super easy to make, and it wasn't too fishy tasting even with frozen salmon.

Don't forget that even canned tuna also counts as fish. Tuna noodle casserole is really tasty, or tuna helpers if you want quick meals.
  • ESueM67
    ESueM67 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of cooked salmon either. I used to think that I didn't like cooked fish. Recently, I've had a lot of different kinds of sashimi thanks to a fabulous sushi chef. So, I decided to try cooking some fish for myself. I started with mahi mahi. Brushed some EVOO on it, sprinkled it with salt, pepper and paprika, placed some lemon slices on top of it, and put it in aluminum foil packets in the oven. Absolutely delicious!

My next attempt is going to be a salt-packed whole bronzini (sea bass).
  • Sagenettle
    Sagenettle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is very silly. If you don't like fish, don't eat it. Find foods that you like and eat those. Sheesh!

I don't really agree. I said I've never been a big fish person, not that I hated fish. There are times in my life I've enjoyed eating fish and so I'm pretty confident there are recipes I can make myself where I'd like it, so figured I'd ask what other people have had success with. But thanks for your contribution.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't like salmon either. I don't know what flavors you like but I blacken fish quite often. Another way I do it is to season the fish (talapia, barramundi, mahi, sea bass...) with old bay, put a layer of pesto on and chopped grape tomatoes. Wrap it in foil and either grill or bake for about 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    I don't like salmon either. I don't know what flavors you like but I blacken fish quite often. Another way I do it is to season the fish (talapia, barramundi, mahi, sea bass...) with old bay, put a layer of pesto on and chopped grape tomatoes. Wrap it in foil and either grill or bake for about 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish.

This sounds great lucys1225! Pesto and grape tomatoes. Definitely trying this. Thanks!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    lucys1225 wrote: »

This sounds great lucys1225! Pesto and grape tomatoes. Definitely trying this. Thanks!

Good! I hope you like it!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Here are my two go-to recipes:

for salmon, I made a marinade of soy sauce, lime juice (or white wine or rice vinegar), diced ginger and garlic, a dash of sesame oil, sesame seeds, crushed red peppers and, if I'm feeling saucy, a little brown sugar. Marinate salmon in this for an hour or so, then just bake it in a pan or dish with the sauce right in there. The marinade steams up through the fish and makes even cheapo salmon taste pretty good.

my other is tilapia, because it's hard to overcook and, when it's not too fishy, it tastes like chicken. I put those suckers on a baking sheet, spray with a little olive oil, sprinkle with thyme, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt and black pepper. bake for 20 minutes at 350F.

These two recipes are how we made cheap, fishy-tasting fish actually taste good.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to eat fish is in fish tacos. I add in black beans, bell peppers, corn, tomatoes and some fat free sour cream and some hot sauce. SO very good. If you want to make it more healthy, just make that and eat it without a tortilla or wrap it in lettuce. Very tasty.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    sklarbodds wrote: »
    One of my favorite ways to eat fish is in fish tacos. I add in black beans, bell peppers, corn, tomatoes and some fat free sour cream and some hot sauce. SO very good. If you want to make it more healthy, just make that and eat it without a tortilla or wrap it in lettuce. Very tasty.

Ditto! I take tilapia and instead of baking, I pan fry. Just a little olive oil, but COVER the filets in cayenne, oregano, cumin, Mexican chili powder, garlic powder, salt/ pepper and a dash of brown sugar. Fry those up and chop 'em into little bits. A corn tortilla with shredded cabbage and salsa. Boom!
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I marinade mine in salad dressings...
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    best thing ive ever cooked fish with is brown sugar. ESPECIALLY SALMON. yummmm

I heat stove on high then turn it to medium. pan fry one side for 3-4 minutes then flip and fry other side for 3-4 minutes. I usually put brown sugar (lots), garlic, and salmon spice. Turns out great.!
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Tilapia Puttanesca is my favorite! Really easy, really yummy! Here you go:

Heat a tsp. of oil in a pan and brown fish (4 - 4 oz. tilapia fillets, although I have used other white, mild fish fillets too, and they all taste fabulous!) on each side (maybe 2 minutes each side). Remove and set aside.
    In the same pan, add 1 onion (finely chopped) and 3 garlic cloves (minced). When they are softened, add 1 can of Italian diced tomatoes 1/4 c. white wine (or chicken broth), 3 TB capers, 1 small can chopped olives, 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil, then add 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil. Return fish to the skillet and simmer, uncovered, until the fish is opaque in the center - about 3 minutes. That's it. 1 fish fillet (about 4 ounces each) with 1/3 cup sauce is only 150 calories, and 17 g. protein.

This is one of my favorite recipes, and my boys love it too. Hope you like it!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    This one is super easy and quick, perfect for a weeknight meal. I tweaked it a bit by just slathering on a little miracle whip light and then topping with the crushed up chips. I usually use Cape Cod sea salt & vinegar kettle chips but sometimes switch it up and use Utz smokin' sweet bbq kettle chips. I've used both cod and haddock since they pretty much taste the same.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chip-crusted-fish-fillets

This one's good for haddock or cod as well. Nice mix of flavors and also pretty simple. The hardest part is remember to thaw out the spinach before hand so you can drain al the moisture. My only tweak on this one is using seasoned panko crumbs instead of regular bread crumbs.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Aunt-Carols-Spinach-and-Fish-Bake/

For salmon, I only like Atlantic and it has to look really good. Nice thick center piece, no tail meat and nice bright color. Pour over some A1 Chicago Steakhouse marinade, let it sit for at least a half hour then bake at 400F for about 20 minutes, sometimes more depending on thickness. Serve with Caesar salad and rice. YUMMY!
  • shyamcn
    shyamcn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I usually end up baking my fish fillets, favorites being salmon, cod and ahi tuna. I like to mix things up so I've tried the following combinations:
    1. Horseradish/Wasabi sauce + Olive Oil + Black Pepper + Dash of salt
    2. Cajun rub or Creole seasoning + McCormick Chicken/Steak or other spice rub + Oil
    3. Pesto + (yogurt +) any meat = Heaven! Especially if you let it marinate overnight.
    4. If you're feeling a bit more adventurous and want to try something more ethnic, try Meen Pollichathu which is a favorite in the state of Kerala in India. Refer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF9lnd9GRRU and http://palaharam.blogspot.com/2014/01/meen-pollichathu-kerala-style-baked-fish.html

There are practically infinite possibilities for coming up with various combinations of spice rubs. If you are a garlic person, adding minced garlic in small quantities changes the flavor and odor profile drastically. You can also get ethnic spice mixes such as Tikka or Tandoori flavored at your local supermarket or Asian/Indian store. These are better for grilling though.

In order to keep the moistness intact, it is important to check every five minutes after the first ten minutes in a preheated 425F oven. I also like to make some cuts in the meat and let the spice mix in. I've noticed that it helps the meat cook evenly and lets the fat out in some cases as well. If I'm storing the meat in a sealed container for later use, I marinate it with some lemon juice and oil.

I find that having stored options such as baked chicken breast or fish makes for a very satiating high-protein snack. Enjoy! :)
  • Sagenettle
    Sagenettle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome, some really great ideas in here that i definitely plan on trying! Thanks so much!