C25K repeat week questions?

Options
So I was wondering if anyone else was doing a C25K as part of their new years resolution?
If so, how it has fared after the first week. Im considering repeating it, but unsure if its just out of my own unrealistic competitiveness with myself, or if I truly am within the norm to move on to the next week.
Im at a 15min pace, which I know is super slow. Today I didnt even finish the whole workout. Only made it a little under a mile(its 16 degrees here with a windchill of 0, it was literally painful to breathe when I got going)
So I guess im wondering what others have done with that slow of a pace, and not fully completing one of the days...retry, or move on?

Replies

• mutigger00
    mutigger00 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with repeating weeks until you are comfortable moving on to the next. One thing I learned was to not push to hard starting out, and to listen to my body and the feedback it was giving me. I think I repeated Week One a couple of times before moving on.
  • kari_kerry
    kari_kerry Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I did C25K a few months ago and I did repeat a few weeks. I know the first one was the hardest and I most definately repeated it. I got up to week 6 or so and stopped for some unknown reason. But I absolutely loved it when I was doing it and want to get back at it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I agree, repeat whatever days/weeks you want.

And don't worry about your speed. The majority of people who do C25k do not end it running 5k in 30 minutes. Just focus on being able to keep going (walking/running no matter the speed) for all of the intervals. Speed comes later. Much later.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I didn't repeat when I did. I just kept going on. Then again, I did it in late spring into summer. I didn't have to deal with the freezing cold. (And I currently run on a treadmill in the gym) There were days in the week that were better then others, but I kept my eyes on the goal. (I ran a 5K in Sept) and kept on going.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I agree, repeat whatever days/weeks you want.

And don't worry about your speed. The majority of people who do C25k do not end it running 5k in 30 minutes. Just focus on being able to keep going (walking/running no matter the speed) for all of the intervals. Speed comes later. Much later.

Speed does comes much later! When I first ran a full 5K it was around the 34min mark. My average after that was 32min. On the day I ran my first 5K I did it in 29:44. Still can't believe I went below the 30 minute mark!!!!!!

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    mutigger00 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with repeating weeks until you are comfortable moving on to the next. One thing I learned was to not push to hard starting out, and to listen to my body and the feedback it was giving me. I think I repeated Week One a couple of times before moving on.

I may end up doing this for my marathon training as well. This week didn't turn out so well for many reasons (not the least of which is all the ice on the sidewalks and trails)...if you have time, work at your own pace. A training program is not the be all and end all...and if your body is feeling stressed, it's better to take it slow and not injure yourself. You hurt yourself and then you'll be watching everyone else run instead of running the 5k yourself :)
    Take care! Welcome to the wonderful world of running!
  • rudyk74
    rudyk74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the words. Starting this in a midwest winter was probably not my smartest move! :smile:
    I guess my goals are not completely unrealistic. Ive done 5ks last spring, my finish times were between 48-52min, so obviously I walked at least half of the course if not more. My goal for this year is to just solidly jog/actually run the course.
    I know the cold is playing a part, but Im really trying to avoid treadmill running. I know its better than nothing but Ive found, for me at least, it tricks me. The first time "the rubber hits the road" so to speak it feels like I have never run a day, and I end up almost starting over in the amount of weeks I have to repeat. So im just trying to muscle through that biting cold
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    rudyk74 wrote: »
    Thanks for the words. Starting this in a midwest winter was probably not my smartest move! :smile:
    I guess my goals are not completely unrealistic. Ive done 5ks last spring, my finish times were between 48-52min, so obviously I walked at least half of the course if not more. My goal for this year is to just solidly jog/actually run the course.
    I know the cold is playing a part, but Im really trying to avoid treadmill running. I know its better than nothing but Ive found, for me at least, it tricks me. The first time "the rubber hits the road" so to speak it feels like I have never run a day, and I end up almost starting over in the amount of weeks I have to repeat. So im just trying to muscle through that biting cold

Yeah...treadmill (aka: dreadmill) running is so totally different from running outside. The belt is kind of helping you do the work...I much prefer running outside...plus the scenery changes :)
    I've been forced into doing some treadmill running lately because the ice makes it too hazardous to run outside. I'm planning to run outside tomorrow for my long(ish) run for my plan this week...hoping to stick to main roads because at least those are plowed.
  • beavislong
    beavislong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Definitely repeat weeks if you have to. Repeat them multiple times if you have to. Just don't give up. The progams works. On the C25K website they tell you to repeat weeks if necessary. Fitness goals are a a journey not a race. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!