Good carbs

Options

Replies

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Carbs come from a lot of sources other than grains...
    Starchy veggies (corn, peas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, winter squash, etc)
    Fruit and fruit juice
    Sweets (obviously not the healthiest way to get your carbs)
    Dairy (milk and yogurt)
    Grains as you have already mentioned.

Doesn't have to be pasta, rice, couscous, etc.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Gosh, how could I have forgotten bread?

Pasta (Fiber 0, GI 8)
    White Rice (Fiber 1g, GI 22)
    White Bread (Fiber 1g, GI 14)
    Couscous (Fiber 2g, GI 18)
    Spaghetti Squash (Fiber 2g, GI 2)
    Brown Rice (Fiber 4g, GI 22)
    Yam (Fiber 5g, GI 16)
    Squirrelly Bread (Fiber 5g)
    Baked Potato (Fiber 7g, GI 29)
    Yellow Corn (Fiber 7g, GI 21)
    Sweet Potato (baked in skin) (Fiber 7g, GI 17)
    Baked Beans (Fiber 10g, GI 19)

http://nutritiondata.self.com/
  • JaelenSnow
    JaelenSnow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The bad carbs are standing in the shadows and the good carbs are home with broken hearts.

This is all I can think about every time this argument comes up.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Sagenettle wrote: »
    Probably brown or wild rice is better than couscous I'd think. Otherwise you can have something like sweet potato, or try to incorporate more fruits into the day.

Couscous = Bad Carbs

Wrong

tumblr_inline_n49p3vEVkT1rv6gzi.gif

Haha. Someone is mad so they flagged the gif. Love it.

u2lhzf89q39q.gif

You like to get into all the naughty stuff don't you?
    I actually got that gif from here. It's hilarious.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    1. Satiety is personal. For example, fiber means just exactly nothing to me when it comes to satiety over hours. Fat, on the other hand, does wonders for me. A fiber-filled stir fry will keep me full for about half an hour. Some cheese is much more effective over time.

2. I promise you that I would regret eating 7 cups of broccoli more than 1.5 ounces of chocolate. Just thinking about it causes some cramping.

As long as one's nutritional needs (micro and macro) are being met, and that person feels satisfied, stop trying to think that huge amounts of vegetables are some sort of miracle. You don't get bonus nutrition points for shoveling kale in your mouth.

Just needed to be quoted again for impact.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    12by311 wrote: »
    1. Satiety is personal. For example, fiber means just exactly nothing to me when it comes to satiety over hours. Fat, on the other hand, does wonders for me. A fiber-filled stir fry will keep me full for about half an hour. Some cheese is much more effective over time.

2. I promise you that I would regret eating 7 cups of broccoli more than 1.5 ounces of chocolate. Just thinking about it causes some cramping.

As long as one's nutritional needs (micro and macro) are being met, and that person feels satisfied, stop trying to think that huge amounts of vegetables are some sort of miracle. You don't get bonus nutrition points for shoveling kale in your mouth.

x2
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    Sagenettle wrote: »
    Probably brown or wild rice is better than couscous I'd think. Otherwise you can have something like sweet potato, or try to incorporate more fruits into the day.

Couscous = Bad Carbs

Wrong

tumblr_inline_n49p3vEVkT1rv6gzi.gif

Haha. Someone is mad so they flagged the gif. Love it.

u2lhzf89q39q.gif

You like to get into all the naughty stuff don't you?
    I actually got that gif from here. It's hilarious.

Totally. It's one of my favorite gifs.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

x2

x3

Also, why so much hate for green tea Kit Kats? :'(
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    To build off of what MrM27 posted, I just ordered green tea kit kats from amazon.

That can't be a thing
    orly?

FEAST THINE EYES!

I don't normally eat candy, but must try these.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Eat complex carbs over simple ones more often.

I prefer fruit (simple carb) over many complex carbs. Not just from a taste perspective (although that too) but nutritionally.
    They are more satisfying

IME, depends on the person and the specific food. I find roasted potatoes quite satisfying. I also find a banana quite satisfying (something I know plenty of people disagree with, for themselves) and blueberries satisfying. I don't find white OR brown rice or any kind of bread particularly satisfying. Even oatmeal I find unsatisfying unless I pair it with some fat and additional protein.

What aids in satiety differs from person to person.
    and their energy is absorbed over a longer period of time. Here are some popular dinner sides in order of their relative satiety/fiber/complexity/GI index.

Glycemic index means nothing. Glycemic load means a little more, but even so in that we don't eat foods by themselves and in that people respond differently (some people struggle with blood sugar issues or insulin, some do not), I think it's typically overstated and people would do better to figure out for themselves what they find satiating, rather than read about what they are supposed to. For example, if I ate a potato by itself it's entirely possible that I'd find it as unsatisfying as the bagels I used to eat for breakfast. However, since I never, ever just eat plain potato, I find that adding a potato to my meal tends to aid in satiety. For me.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

x2

x3

Also, why so much hate for green tea Kit Kats? :'(

For me, it's because they taste disgusting.

• ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Good to know, especially since you're contributing to a bigger supply of them for me. :) They're my favourite type of Kit Kat to consume, so to each his own!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Good to know, especially since you're contributing to a bigger supply of them for me. :) They're my favourite type of Kit Kat to consume, so to each his own!

Absolutely :) Taste is relative for sure. I have had a lot of the Asian Kit Kats though. Some are yummy, but that one didn't sit well with me.

• jgnatca
    Options
    I am pretty sure fruit is moved in to the complex range as the simple sugars are wrapped in a fiber sandwich.

Why all the hate-on for complex carbs? They take longer to digest in everybody. That's not a personal thing.

I get why so many here are dead-sick of the false dichotomy of "good food" vs "bad food". But complex carbs have a lot to offer.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Hey, on my list the humble potato came out pretty good on the fiber scale. It beats out brown rice.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Adding wild rice.

Pasta (Fiber 0, GI 8)
    White Rice (Fiber 1g, GI 22)
    Couscous (Fiber 2g, GI 18)
    Spaghetti Squash (Fiber 2g, GI 2)
    Wild Rice (Fiber 3g, GI 16)
    Brown Rice (Fiber 4g, GI 22)
    Yam (Fiber 5g, GI 16)
    Baked Potato (Fiber 7g, GI 29)
    Yellow Corn (Fiber 7g, GI 21)
    Sweet Potato (baked in skin) (Fiber 7g, GI 17)
    Baked Beans (Fiber 10g, GI 19)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I am pretty sure fruit is moved in to the complex range as the simple sugars are wrapped in a fiber sandwich.

Why all the hate-on for complex carbs? They take longer to digest in everybody. That's not a personal thing.

I get why so many here are dead-sick of the false dichotomy of "good food" vs "bad food". But complex carbs have a lot to offer.

so if I add sugar to Metamucil does that make it good for bad???? because fiber wrapped...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What are the some kit kats that are tasty?

Green tea are in the mail.
    What about the pudding ones?
    What else is there?

Bananarama.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I always thought I had way too many carbs in my diet but since logging with my fitness pal I've noticed I'm actually always under on the carbs in the ratio with fat and protein. Obviously I don't just want to eat a huge bowl of pasta to make up for it but could anyone advise as to which carbs are better for you that others, for example I love eating grilled chicken but am I better to have it with Cous Cous or rice?
    Thanks

Sam

I only checked the first page so if no one has said it yet.

Your body has hormonal response to foods including different sources of carbs, a carb from vegetables doesn't have the same hormonal response as to a carb from rice. They have the same caloric value but your body deals with them very differently.

I'm not going to answer any "Whys?" educate yourself and do some research if you aren't already aware of this your probably a IIFYM junky.