Worst.recipe.ever.

Options
13»

Replies

• kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Any of the faddish, Pinterest recipes that end up bastardizing a perfectly good food.
  • The_Fitness_Foodie
    The_Fitness_Foodie Posts: 95 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Being diagnosed with Coeliac I tried Free & Easy's (Gluten & Dairy Free) Cheese Flavoured Sauce.... It was vile.... I threw the entire tub in the bin.... It was s***k white with tiny green flakes in it and it tasted salty, a bit like the aforementioned s***k with a hint of chives....

Yuck, Yuck Yuck.... it makes me gip just thinking about it....!!

xXx
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Strawberry protein shake in a can.
    How did they manage to make it taste like liquid clay and Froot Loops?
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Chia seed pudding. Slimy and vile - just thinking about it makes me gag a little.
    Frog's eggs.

• PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Being diagnosed with Coeliac I tried Free & Easy's (Gluten & Dairy Free) Cheese Flavoured Sauce.... It was vile.... I threw the entire tub in the bin.... It was s***k white with tiny green flakes in it and it tasted salty, a bit like the aforementioned s***k with a hint of chives....

xXx

Haha, gip! I also post on a UK based website and have yet to see anyone say this. Fantastic.
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Pork Chop Surprise...... The surprise was we had pizza for dinner that night :s
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Egg/ banana pancakes always seem not to bad to me but I tried protein powder pancakes once... Never again... They were like rubber covered in syrup. I'd rather have a real pancake any day!

YES!!

I once made some brown rice from the Moosewood light cookbook, ugh. I'm actually rather fond of brown rice, but I should have known that brown rice cooked in a combination of veg stock with a bit of orange juice and chinese 5 spice would taste absolutely vile.

• Trukngrl
    Trukngrl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    So funny! Love all the horrible things we do for the name of health. I agree with lots of these...some I think are preference/pallet/texture issues.

We are a crazy bunch
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Chia seed pudding. Slimy and vile - just thinking about it makes me gag a little.

oh my. you haven't had a good one. So dang good! I make a great double chocolate one. It's 500 calories of filling chocolaty goodness!
  • jaxass
    jaxass Posts: 2,128 Member
    Options
    Anything having to do with asparagus.
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash was pretty bad. This weird crab quinoa salad from a Jenny Craig cook book was worse (husband and I took one bite, and called pizza). But the absolute worse- dear lord almighty it was vile - was this "teryaki" marinated chicken I got out of a cookbook. I don't remember the actual recipe very well, but it was essentially marinating a whole chicken and had a huge list of the usual ingredients- ginger, garlic, soy sauce.. the only problem was the quantity. It called for four cups of soy sauce. I dropped it down to 1/4 cup and nooooooooooope! It tasted like chicken in a soy sauce brine. It is easily the most awful thing I have ever tasted in my entire life. It's been about 4 years and my husband and I still joke about that awful excuse for a cook book.
  • Trukngrl
    Trukngrl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I tried a couple vegan dishes with substitued flour - sourghum and such.. terrible all the way around.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    Cauliflower potatoes. It's a scam.
    Not half-bad if made well. May I ask what happened?
  • redhead_che
    redhead_che Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Some recipe involving chicken thighs and stewed tomatoes. It had potential, but I am a *kitten* cook so it didn't work out. I pretty much drained the juice and tossed the meat/tomatoes before even taking a bite.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Someone told me once to make a creamy soup with sweetened condensed milk. It. Was. Awful.
  • atypicalme
    Options

xXx

Oh, god...I just shuddered and gagged a little. I guddered.

I don't have a lot of food related mishaps since I can sort of look at a recipe and see where there's some skeezy science mixed with a lot of fairy dust and hope and then close the window like, "hehehehe...nope." THAT SAID... I tried to get creative with a turkey meatloaf recipe once, but I didn't want a bland, boring meatloaf. I wanted daring! Adventure! I wanted SPICY!

But being that I was broke, tired from work, and lacking the ingredients to approach that recipe smartly, I decided to go with a spoonful of jar salsa, a splash of tabasco, and some crushed Hot and Spicy cheezits instead of bread crumbs. While the end result was edible by a very, VERY loose definition, the leftovers ended up having prettier hair than mine at the end of the week. I've since learned that if you can't make it right, just have a bowl of cereal.