Total Girly-Girl Seeks Exercise Motivation

Options

Replies

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Girly girl, do you like to dance?

This. Plenty of dance/fitness videos on youtube. Make an account and make a playlist.
  • kimmywilliams1110
    Options
    Walking and Zumba has worked for me and when you zumba you don't feel like your working out! You can do both in the privacy of your home, which is the only reason I do either.... If I have to leave I'm not doing it.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    So I am not help because I am a giant sweat hog! Although I take the approach "I don't sweat I sparkle" HA!

Try a yoga or dance class. I will say though I have sweat in both. :D

As far as others talking about you. Sorry that happened. From my experience, I am to focused on what I am doing to worry about anyone else.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm a girly girl too. I literally don't own a pair of pants. Like you I don't enjoy to sweat and because of my asthma I despise cardio. I thought I was just destined to never be fit because what else could I do? Then I started lifting weights to recover from a surgery and realized I loved it so now I lift at home (I also am not a fan of gyms).

You have to find that one thing that really clicks to you and you enjoy doing. It might be something you never thought about before so you may have to try a lot of things. But at the end of the day if you really don't want to exercise, you'll find a reason to hate everything you try.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I do not like gyms. I started dancing around the house. Then I like the movement then I started walking/running. Then it got colder.

I went to sporting goods places and used their equipment. For real. I found something I liked and ended up buying an elliptical trainer so I could workout at home. I had a stationary bike that I rode at home as well.

I had to find something I liked or at least would give me what I needed and would not use it as a clothes hanger later! I still will not buy a gym membership!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    What about swimming? You don't sweat in the pool :)

Or go get yourself some girly workout clothes, pink and co-ordinated lol, and get yourself to the gym! You could do classes if you don't want to use the actual gym equipment.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I read this as "total girl on girl"

Needless to say, I was disappointed.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    You either want it or you don't. When you want it enough, you'll get it done.

THIS!^^ If it's important to you, you'll find a way… if not you'll find an excuse. I don't have a single athletic bone in my body either. And I'm ridiculously un-coordinated. I can trip over nonexistent cracks in the sidewalk. And I work a graveyard shift. I still manage to go workout.

As for the size 0's at the gym… Learn to not care what others think about you. It's none of your business anyway! :smile:
  • tinamarie0604
    tinamarie0604 Posts: 308 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    thouse23 wrote: »

Getting some pals on here for support is a great idea, but at the end of the day you have to do it for yourself, no one can do it for you...

Plus I don't think you should presume what the slimmer people in the gym are thinking when you don't even know them, you're just doing exactly what you've accused them of....

Normally, I would agree with you about presuming and prejudging, but when they ask the friend loud enough for me to hear "what's her fat *kitten* doing here" - I doubt they walk around with the sour look all of the time. [/quote]

Screw what anyone else says or thinks about you. It's only you against you. Don't worry about what other people think or say, don't allow others to hold you back from what you can acomplish! I will support you, you've done it before, you can do it again. :wink:
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm girly. AND I lift
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Petrapole wrote: »
    Try pole dancing!! I hate exercising but I love my pole dancing it's about as girly as you can get and I guarantee you'll be hooked offer 1 class.

this. I have two poles, one inside and one out in the sunroom, it is so much fun and so addicting, it will build muscles you didn't know you had.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Normally, I would agree with you about presuming and prejudging, but when they ask the friend loud enough for me to hear "what's her fat *kitten* doing here" - I doubt they walk around with the sour look all of the time.

You gonna let some rude little **** decide where you go and what you do and how you feel? She has no right...unless you give it to her.

• sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    just start!! Believe me.. it gets better. I used to be just like you. I used to hate moving around or sweating or anything which requires physical activity. But now I just love it. Once you start, the feel good feeling takes over and makes you feel awesome!!! :)
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine many things more girly than dressing up in cute new workout clothes and dancing around the living room to Disney tunes. o:)

^^ this!

So you don't like running, nor do a lot of people. Find a sport you like. Girly sports include:
    dancing around the living room to disney songs
    walking, with dog or otherwise
    gymnastics
    swimming
    yoga
    pilates
    horse riding
    dancing (latin, salsa, jive, tap, ballet to name a few styles)
    kick boxing (is mostly female at the university club I used to go to)
    Tennis
    badminton
    softball
    aerobics
    water aerobics
    'vertical fitness' aka pole dancing
    or you could join a musical theatre group.

:)

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There were a couple ladies who gave me the sour look when I joined Zumba. They are gone and I am still there. Even more gratifying, some new larger women have joined my Zumba class.

I admit to some denial. When I smile and groove in Zumba, I imagine I look like the instructor. I don't check myself in the mirror too often.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Getting some pals on here for support is a great idea, but at the end of the day you have to do it for yourself, no one can do it for you...

Plus I don't think you should presume what the slimmer people in the gym are thinking when you don't even know them, you're just doing exactly what you've accused them of....

Normally, I would agree with you about presuming and prejudging, but when they ask the friend loud enough for me to hear "what's her fat *kitten* doing here" - I doubt they walk around with the sour look all of the time. [/quote]

So you had a bad experience with 1 person, and you're gonna let it control your life like that? I'm sorry that happened to you, but just had a run-in with 1 douchenozzle doesn't mean every slim person is like that.

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    I joined Planet Fitness (not sure if they have one near you) but they have the judgement free policy - where they will ask someone to leave for "mocking" others through extreme "grunting" or revealing clothes. The treadmills are set for predetermined workouts, I plug my headphones. Set the treadmill and just walk - it adjusts the speed and incline to keep your heartrate at a set level. I searched pinterest and created my own playlists of "upbeat" songs that will get me motivated. I work 12 hour shifts at a desk with little to no people interaction - this helps me feel better even if it does mean getting up about an hour earlier than I normally would.... PLUS if you do the $20.00 per month plan you get to tan and get massages too!!!!

Which would be completely judgmental of them.
    Correct.

Here is one of their regional managers, explaining their "judgment-free" philosophy: http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592
  • WickyDunn
    WickyDunn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am a 'girly girl' too, but absolutely love sweating my *kitten* off. I tend to stick to classes as they tend to be more 'dance' based and you can get pumped up with the music.

With regards to the people saying nasty things in the gym, prove them wrong. Keep going back. Don't let them put you off. Stay positive!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Zumba! Ditch the workout, join the party! o:)
  • Zuidz
    Zuidz Posts: 15
    Options
    I joined Planet Fitness (not sure if they have one near you) but they have the judgement free policy - where they will ask someone to leave for "mocking" others through extreme "grunting" or revealing clothes. The treadmills are set for predetermined workouts, I plug my headphones. Set the treadmill and just walk - it adjusts the speed and incline to keep your heartrate at a set level. I searched pinterest and created my own playlists of "upbeat" songs that will get me motivated. I work 12 hour shifts at a desk with little to no people interaction - this helps me feel better even if it does mean getting up about an hour earlier than I normally would.... PLUS if you do the $20.00 per month plan you get to tan and get massages too!!!!

Yes, planet fitness is the perfect place if you want minimal results. I recommend going on donut day.

But seriously, go to a gym where you're paying for what you get, and you'll be less inclined to skip a workout when the membership isn't the price of a coffee. Go in with a plan for what you're going to do. If possible, get a partner to push you!! Ask around the gym - don't be afraid!

There are no shortcuts.

Good luck!