Five Years and 100lbs to Authentic Living

Options
savethecat
savethecat Posts: 290 Member
q35pu9uo0cu8.jpg

Not sure how this is going to be received in the general forum, but I wanted to share my story in case anyone is struggling with a similar battle.

It's not easy to share something so personal, but I credit so much of the progress I have made to the MFP community and the support always so generously offered, so this is my way of saying, I couldn't have done it without you.

In 2009, I weighed over 250lbs. I was completely miserable. Fully aware I was a transgender man (born female-bodied, but 100% male-brained) I kept it hidden in any way possible, sharing what I thought at the time to be a horrible secret with virtually no one.

In 2010 I slowly began losing weight in hopes to better myself. I knew overeating had become my way to cope. I was very large and it was disheartening to not even be in a position to attempt looking like the person I knew I was. I quite literally hid myself behind a female aesthetic, hoping no one would ever figure out I was male.

I joined MFP in 2011 and eventually realized losing weight was my first step towards medical transition. If I was going to do it, I had to lose almost 100lbs. I was strict with myself. Working out and monitoring my eating like a madman for a solid year until I was down to 165lbs in 2012.

On New Years Day of 2013 I made a decision. At my lowest weight, but my highest anxiety of my adult life I was ready to come out. Not knowing if I would lose my friends and family, I still knew it was now or never- it was time. I removed the mask.

From that moment on it has been one hell of a ride. It's not always easy, but I haven't lost any friends or family members. Apparently, everyone sort of already knew regardless of my attempt to disguise myself. I am recognized as male by everyone in my life including strangers, which is extremely validating.

I am finally myself. I am living authentically. I am happy.

However, with some medical parts of transition came the already anticipated weight gain. I weighed-in around 180lbs at the end of 2014. The good news is, I'm back and ready to get in better shape. This time with a focus on building-muscle.

If you're struggling and know weight loss is your first step to gender transition or any form of life transformation, like it was with me, you can do it. I'm glad you've found MFP. It changed my life and I hope you find it as useful as I have.

If I can turn my entire life around, and I mean this from the bottom of my heart, then you can.

The journey is not always easy to become yourself, but it's worth every second. Keep fighting.

With appreciation and support,
Brandon

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing, I'm sure this will be helpful to a lot of people. You have truly transformed.
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    congratulations on your success and being comfortable in your own skin :)
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    How wonderful! Congrats on the weightloss and transition to who you really are. You have such strength of heart.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Amazing! And congratulations on all aspects of your transformation. So happy for you, your story makes me smile. :D
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Amazing work!
  • Amy101975
    Amy101975 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success... And your return. What a happy ending! Your strength is admirable.
  • misschiplash78
    misschiplash78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congrats Brandon, keep going!! :)
  • MarCarCas
    MarCarCas Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story!!
  • BayBanana
    Options
    It's so nice to here happy coming out stories and I'm glad your friends and fam are supportive! 100 lbs is so inspiring too, thank you for sharing and congrats!
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Brandon! Thank you for sharing your story. I know it will help others. Keep up the hard work, and post again as you start transforming those muscles!
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful success story :) We hear lots of great stories about people losing weight, which is hard enough as it is, but going through that and transition all in one go must have taken great strength. Well done you!
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Very handsome Brandon, awesome transformation.
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your amazing transformation and how incredibly brave of you to share your story!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congrats on the weight loss and the transformation in general. You are one seriously handsome dude <3
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    Congratulations Brandon! I'm sure your story will help others. Well done :)
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm glad you did for yourself what you needed to be happy. Everyone deserves that, and no one deserves to tell you otherwise. I thought you were a hot guy in your pic. haha I would never have guessed. Keep up the great work and positive attitude!
  • AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    You look so handsome!
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your awesome transformation! You look so happy and comfortable in that last pic. :)
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hey Brandon, congrats on your weight loss and your new found self! It's an inspiring story and very courageous x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!