Vegan diet anyone in 30 days!

Options
Ok so I need to lose weight 15-20 lbs I find it so difficult since i love food but I really want to go vegan anyone want to join me for 30 days??

Replies

• patricia81mfp
    patricia81mfp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am in. Need to loose about 20lbs as well and going vegan.
  • jessypug
    jessypug Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm a new vegan and would love to be involved!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    What are your reasons for wanting to go vegan?

The only reason I ask is because the only logical reason to want to go vegan is for ethical reasons, however, only being vegan for 30 days kinda defeats that purpose...

So what are the reasons?
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Just because you go Vegan doesn't mean you will lose weight. There are LOTS of unhealthy Vegan goodies. Hello Oreos and Sweet Chili Doritos :)

Like anything else it is Calories in Calories out.

My husband is Vegan and he lost 30 pounds but it took him 6 months.
    I tried the Vegan thing as well and lost nothing. So again just going Vegan doesn't mean you will lose weight. Especially if it only for 30 days.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Kara52217 wrote: »
    Just because you go Vegan doesn't mean you will lose weight. There are LOTS of unhealthy Vegan goodies. Hello Oreos and Sweet Chili Doritos :)

Yup. Vegan does not equal automatically healthy. I have a few vegan friends here on MFP.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    skylark94 wrote: »
    Kara52217 wrote: »

Yup. Vegan does not equal automatically healthy. I have a few vegan friends here on MFP.

Hey y'all, fat vegan here. ;) I actually gained weight when I transitioned two years ago. :(
  • mexicana4ever
    mexicana4ever Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    But I want to go vegan because I want to reduce my fat intake and have a very bad addiction with heavy grease lathered foods chocolate and I don't feel my best eating animal protein at every meal it makes me lethargic and a lot of people eat processed foods on vegan I want to just eat naturally mostly fruits and veggies stay away from the processed stuff ;)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    But I want to go vegan because I want to reduce my fat intake and have a very bad addiction with heavy grease lathered foods chocolate and I don't feel my best eating animal protein at every meal it makes me lethargic and a lot of people eat processed foods on vegan I want to just eat naturally mostly fruits and veggies stay away from the processed stuff ;)

Going vegan isn't going to help you lose weight. If you want to reduce your fat intake, then just reduce your fat intake.

If you want to eat fruit and veggies, eat fruit and veggies.

You don't need an incredibly restrictive diet to do this, just willpower.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is essentially cals in vs cals out. If you want to reduce your fat intake be more mindful when selecting food choices. I have nothing against a vegan diet and respect it very much, but going vegan doesn't automatically mean weight loss.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    french fries and ketchup is a vegan meal. true story.

you want to eat less processed crap? good. we all should strive for that. more fruits and veggies is something i'm trying to do as well. don't want to have animal protein at every meal? that's fine. i don't think i have it at every meal myself... maybe 1-2 times a day.

a co-worker took his time going full vegan for a number of reasons. i think it took him 6 months to do it because of the time his body needed to change.
  • roseypdx
    roseypdx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I went mostly vegan in August of last year for health reasons. In December I took the plunge to go fully vegan. I made this last step after educating myself on many things around this from health reasons, animal treatment, etc... that I won't get into. I find it very easy to get protein in - did you know that calorie per calorie broccoli has the same protein as steak? Without the saturated fat! I get about 60 grams of protein a day by including beans, legumes, soy, nuts/seeds and lots of veggies. Funny about the mention of fries - last night for dinner I had 2 cups of roasted brussell sprouts and some baked fries - sometimes you just gotta have them and it was awesome and healthy. The brussell sprouts had 8 grams of protein!
  • margaretdoggett1
    margaretdoggett1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I became a vegan ethical and to get cholesterol down without drigs. I like to eat and i lost weight easily. No processed food!. Except 4 wassa crackers. Lots of veg fruit and beans.. no sugar. Norhing fried. Chol came down too
  • horrorghoul
    horrorghoul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 6 years and turned vegan on January 1st. In that amount of time I have dropped like 3lbs. I wish it was more. I weighed less when I ate meat then when I was vegetarian. As with anything you can still be fat and vegan. There are unhealthy foods in any lifestyle change, so don't think that just because you go vegan you are going to dropped 30lbs in 30 days.

In anycase I wish you the best of luck because you are trying something that most people would shake their head at and insult, while saying they could never do it. Cheers!
  • Kim_x84
    Kim_x84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for a couple of years now and have been pretty close to vegan most of that time. I eat a vegan diet at home and relax it if I'm travelling or going out to eat but I still try to find a vegan option if I can. I find it so easy to lose weight when I stay with a vegan diet but the trick is to cook for yourself and watch portion sizes. I know there's no animal products or unnecessary salt and I don't use oil so I can easily keep things healthy. Lots of beans (black eyed peas, pinto beans, chick peas are my faves), lentils, meat substitutes if you like them. Doesn't have to take up too much time either. Tonight I made a curry for dinner and now have 4 more portions in my freezer for days when I don't have much time but still want to eat a proper meal.

I'm now back to strick vegan after a few weeks of beer, chocolate, junkfood and takeaways!
  • caseythelab
    caseythelab Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan already, I feel like it does give me more energy! For protein (which is what everyone worries about), I add vegan protein powder to my almost daily smoothie. I eat organic pb, hazelnuts and almonds in moderation and, for a treat, a Luna protein bar almost daily. Good luck!