Substitutes for Pasta

Options
sls2072
sls2072 Posts: 28 Member
I LoooVe spagetti and since beginning counting calories I have not made spagetti. Last night spagetti was for dinner so imagine my surprise after weighing out my pasta that I could only have 1/2 cup of pasta noodles because one serving was 210 calories and I was not using up all of my evenings calories on pasta. So my question is what do you guys use to substitute?

Replies

• dtcjem
    dtcjem Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Being Italian and LOVING pasta I made the switch to Spaghetti Squash or zucchini with qut into Noodles. It fixes my cravings for Pasta and Gravy.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I make if fit as well. I've tried spaghetti squash, it's meh.
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    spagetti squash is FANTASTIC
    shirataki noodles have no calories
    a mandoline can cut any veggie into pasta shapes
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I like pasta and don't care for the substitutions, so I also make it fit. I try not to eat pasta more than once a week (if even that!) and I'll beef up the dish with lots of veggies (spinach, tomatoes, zucchini, peppers) so I don't notice the fact that there isn't a ton of pasta on my plate.

The only grain substitution that I've found that I actually like is subbing cauliflower "rice" for rice in curries and mexican food...but I wouldn't suggest it for anything italian.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    sls2072 wrote: »
    I LoooVe spagetti and since beginning counting calories I have not made spagetti. Last night spagetti was for dinner so imagine my surprise after weighing out my pasta that I could only have 1/2 cup of pasta noodles because one serving was 210 calories and I was not using up all of my evenings calories on pasta. So my question is what do you guys use to substitute?

Something that really helps, especially in the beginning of this little safari is to pre-log and pre-plan your day. 210 calories can easily be fit into a well planned day.

As you progress, you will find yourself more able to do this in your head and you'll know, "hey...having pasta tonight...maybe I should do a lighter lunch." Stuff like that.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I like spaghetti squash and zucchini noodles. Does not taste the same at all. But if you like these they are great way to eat all those delicious sauces you would normally put on pasta. Pinterest has a ton of spaghetti squash ideas. I just made this recipe this week and it was good. I used the Total 10 Breakfast Sausage instead of straight ground turkey. Delicious! Taste like Italian sausage.

doctoroz.com/recipe/total-10-italian-bowl

Here is one spaghetti squash recipe:
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/11/thai-turkey-spaghetti-squash.html
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how many calories your aiming for each day? Even on a low calorie diet, there is room for some pasta occasionally. As a previous poster suggested, I would look and upping the veggies in the sauce to help expand the visual on the plate.

There are ther substitutions you can try, but try them with the mindset that they will not taste like pasta, or have the same texture. That being said, I have a spiralizer that I use to make 'noodles' out of zucchini, cucumbers, and sweet potatoes. I make the noodles and top with my favorite sauce. It's a great way to get another veggie in your day. I also like to make spaghetti squash. There are so many great recipes for this. Spaghetti squash and zucchini really don't have a flavor of their own, they will take on the flavor of what you add to them or top them with.
  • sls2072
    sls2072 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I will be looking into the spaghetti squash recipe. What I meant by my post was that compared to the previous amount of spaghetti I was putting in my bowl, 1/2 cup really seems like diddly squat. I can fit the 210 into my day just fine it was just the amount compared to what I was use to eating was little. : ) Thanks all !
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash. Otherwise, I have it rarely. I've never been a big pasta person though. So once every few months with some sausage and peppers or turkey meatballs, or stuffed is good enough for me.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Mung Bean Fettuccine or black bean spaghetti which you can get on Amazon. It is a bit hard to find in stores. But only made out of those ingredients - so yes, it is 'clean'
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    IMO, there's nothing that really REPLACES it. But sometimes I like to use zucchini. I also like spaghetti squash. Though I don't think they are perfect subs and are different dishes in and of themselves, I like them.
  • FoodieMotion
    FoodieMotion Posts: 78 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I just eat pasta, I weigh it out and go for whole-wheat varieties. I do bulk out my ragu with blended veg such as carrots, onions and marrow or perhaps courgette (zucchini). You can cut back the pasta without cutting out. :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting that 1/2 cup from? In volume, one serving is closer to 1 cup, but you should really weigh it dry anyway. But to answer your question, I like spaghetti squash and zucchini noodles but it's just not a substitute for pasta.
  • aconiam77
    aconiam77 Posts: 21 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    edm73a06efri.jpg
    I have a spiralizer and make zucchini noodles. A whole zucchini has only 33 calories and will last two meals! I made a sausage and pepper sauce that was delish!
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I agree that nothing replaces pasta. I chgd to smart taste. Same calories but more fiber and protein. I've used egg roll wrappers to make lasagna. Turned out good.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I still have pasta, but I have it with a lot of vegetables and chicken. Because really, the noodles themselves don't have a lot of flavor. They're more a vehicle for getting sauce and cheese in my mouth. Same sauce on veggies tastes just as good.
  • pvalze
    pvalze Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, I'm italian. I think that could be a mistake to totally replace pasta. Begin eating integral pasta and prepare a rich souce (with many vegetables but without coocked oil for exemple). Add to your meal a generous mixed salad... you wouldn't surely be hungry at the end!:)
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I use whole wheat pasta and weigh it instead of measuring by the cup. I round out my meal with a good portion of veggies.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    lsgibbs83 wrote: »
    I use whole wheat pasta and weigh it instead of measuring by the cup. I round out my meal with a good portion of veggies.

This exactly tonight

I fit it in my calorie allowance ...tonight

We have 1 0z of whole wheat angel hair pasta (95 cal)
    with 4 oz of mushrooms (25 cal)
    3.5 0z tomato ( 21 cal)
    3 oz of shrimps (77 cal)
    Some fresh garlic (13 cal) and olive oil (120 cal)
    Some cucumber aside
    Makes it about 365 calories.
    Yummie scrummy and worth it.

I dont cut out any food ( except sugar and salt for health reasons) and make it fit.
    I preplan every evening for the next day or more days.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    how are you dinner calories only 200????