My experience with the "10 day Green Smoothie Cleanse"

Options
I bought this book on an impulse buy really. I had been looking at another healthy eating cookbook, and noticed this had shot up the charts and already bumped Hillary Clinton's book off the top spot just a couple weeks after release. I don't really know why, but that fact alone grabbed my attention.

I'm writing this simply to describe my experience. I'm not necessarily advocating this program or trying to start a flame war. Discussion, however, is certainly welcome, especially if you've tried this or in general how you've learned to eat healthy. In general, I chose to go ahead and do this, because it was "only" 10 days, and used real food, wasn't a "bottled" program from GNC or anything like that.

Anyhow, back to relevance, I bought the book after reading what it was about. I was less interested, or perhaps more accurately, skeptical about the "cleanse" claims. Evenso, I found that what it was offering was much of what I was wanting to include or increase in my diet anyhow. Namely, I've been gearing towards more and more vegetables and greens in my diet as part of "Eat to Live" by a Dr. Joel Fuhrman. As such, this "cleanse" seemed to fit that program as well. Also I've found the logistics and time involved in eating a similarly sized salad simply takes me too long most days, especially at work.

As it turn out, this "cleanse" made a good jumping off point for me to restart both my weight loss and healthy eating goals. Some of the claims in the book I found to come true. Namely the first few days I was irritable and weak with a couple days of headaches. Additionally the first couple of days included hard cravings for all the sugary junk and "diet" sodas I was addicted to. Some other bizarre cravings came along, namely fried chicken and chinese food. The fried chicken hit me about day 7, and is out of character, as it's a rare food for me anyway, and only really eaten when someone else has set the menu.

By the 4th or 5th day I was starting to feel good, and by day 2 or 3 was no longer hungry despite the very low calories consumed. I would say by day 8 I actually felt "good" for probably the first time in years.

In particular, I lost about 9.5lbs and tailored the program as follows.
-Used more berries (strawberries, blueberries, cherries, and mixed) to replace Mango, Pineapple, and some of the peaches, as I wanted to reduce my sugars even further and the berries are a good fit with lots of fiber.
-Ate two soft boiled eggs and a serving of raw almonds most days for added protein
-Used NOW brand flavorless pea protein to make the smoothies carry me further, and it was a good economical choice for me
-Used "Monk Fruit in the RAW" brand sweetener instead of stevia due to personal flavor preference [also non-calorie]
-Added Cinnamon and Apple Pie Spice to most smoothies for added flavor [both low/non calorie]
-Did not use bottled spring water, but "only" filtered water [your results might be better with]
-Only used Organic for the greens not all products [your results might be better with]
-Used the Mag07 stool softener [I was skeptical of this product, but definitely do not over take, try three before more to see what amount you need each night.] Disclaimer further reading may be unpleasant but feel it necessary to know what to expect: I am convinced this removed some things that had been inside for far too long. Some of the bowel movements, say about 3 or so were NOT to proportion with what I had been eating. Some of the "weight" I lost was apparently from this mass. Also the smell was like nothing I may have ever encountered. It was really bad. After these few heavy "movements" there was virtually no smell or massive bulk in the toilet on subsequent trips.

The book also admonishes you to step lightly back into your solid foods. The day after I had a hashbrown, 2 eggs, oatmeal, chicken and rice, but virtually or no vegetables. Nothing too out of the ordinary, or "unhealthy", certainly not a binge, but I really saw what all the carbs did to me, in just one day. I was still under my MFP recommended carbs however. At the end of this day was already feeling less well. This has overall been a good experiment for me and my relationship to carbs and sugar. I was clearly an addict and so bathed in the "carbs" that like the fish in his water, couldn't see it. This cleanse really let me see that for the first time. As I've cut my carbs to mostly fruit, legumes, peas, etc. instead of the processed carbs, I've really felt better.

Within a few days of the cleanse I had put on about 2.5 of the pounds, but not from poor eating. I track my foods and calories and was still well under my daily goal, so you can probably expect to put a little water weight back on. That said I am still taking smoothies a couple times a day to get my greens in along with at least one healthy full meal. I think this is a path I can sustain, even after my weight is gone and stay satisfied. I think I'm mostly in it for the covenience of the greens. I can still always make some great stir frys, roasted veggies, etc. Hope to stick with it this time and make the change. This little program helped me do more than just eat less of the same things I was before and see how I really react to foods.

If you are on several meds, or have any conditions I'd definitely run this by your doctor before you jump in, it really is a big change to how we "normally" eat. Overall, I think you'll find it positive, if you stick to it. It is "only" 10 days, making it a workable goal for anyone.

Of course, the real goal is just learning to eat healthy. For me, this was a tool to help me do so.

Replies

• cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Keep up your green smoothies as one of your meals. There is no easier way to eat the volume of leaves that are so incredibly healthy.
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Oops, thought I should add the book was by JJ Smith in case there's confusion, apparently there are dozens of 10 day this and that books out there.

Also should note, that 5 days after putting back on that 2.5 lbs mentioned above, I'm down another 3lbs, or a net of 0.5lb from end of the "cleanse". Happy to be going back that way.
  • JadorePix
    Options
    Congrats on your weight lost with the 10 day challenge. I just started yesterday and I can't wait to see the results.
    And just a lil note. These smoothies are DELICIOUS! :wink:
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I really like the ones with apple. Let me know how you do! Apple pie spice or cinammon really go good with the apple based smoothies.
  • Lsosa1984
    Lsosa1984 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    excellent review. i'm on day 3 of the full cleanse.
  • jlkermode
    jlkermode Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I love NOW pea protein, I stopped using whey protein. Another great thing to add to your juices is amazing grass superfood.
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I did one round of the modified cleanse (2 smoothies and a light meal, healthy snacks throughout the day) and found it great for all the reasons you mentioned. I lost 11 lbs on that back in November. I just started another round, but this time the full cleanse (3 smoothies and healthy snacks). I am on day 3 of that and its going fairly well. Was craving like a mofo last night, but it is really helping me feel better and more energized and only after 2+ days. Its a great way to get the veggies and fruits in an easy way, and a great kick start to any healthy eating plan.
  • otheliemoor
    otheliemoor Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great of it works for you. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of smoothies, but this seems like a good way to get those leafy greens in.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    ErikThaRed wrote: »
    I did one round of the modified cleanse (2 smoothies and a light meal, healthy snacks throughout the day) and found it great for all the reasons you mentioned. I lost 11 lbs on that back in November. I just started another round, but this time the full cleanse (3 smoothies and healthy snacks). I am on day 3 of that and its going fairly well. Was craving like a mofo last night, but it is really helping me feel better and more energized and only after 2+ days. Its a great way to get the veggies and fruits in an easy way, and a great kick start to any healthy eating plan.

Just started as well !
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Oops, thought I should add the book was by JJ Smith in case there's confusion, apparently there are dozens of 10 day this and that books out there.

Also should note, that 5 days after putting back on that 2.5 lbs mentioned above, I'm down another 3lbs, or a net of 0.5lb from end of the "cleanse". Happy to be going back that way.

Lovely Awareness Post !.. I just started again.I was Raw a few years ago & felt great ";"
  • mrsmadi77
    mrsmadi77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on Day 6 and I feel really good. There are many critics of this cleanse, but it's what helped me get away from unhealthy snacks and jump start my healthy eating.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I find I can get double the amount of greens etc into a smoothie that I would ever eat on its own, on a plate. If that makes sense??
  • ErikThaRed
    Options
    Now on Day 5. I had a killer headache late last night, but it didn't last long. I've been taking Mag07 for the last two nights and wow... that stuff clears you out. Since my weigh in before I started, (Weighed on Sunday, started Monday) I have lost 14 lbs! That is with also using the Mag07 for the last 2 nights so I imagine that is some of it. Pretty crazy how fast this works. I know its a kinda extreme way to lose weight, but its put my in the right mindset to eat the healthy foods after its finished. I have gotten over fast foods and pop that I used to consume almost daily. I no longer want them (most of the time...lol) and MFP has alos helped me to be accountable for my intake. I think the two together (MFB and the Cleanse) are really going to save my life. I was on a fast track to heart disease and diabetes, but I think I have the tools to keep a healthy lifestyle going now.
  • ErikThaRed
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Great of it works for you. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of smoothies, but this seems like a good way to get those leafy greens in.

Like anything, especially in the "diet" world, everything is not for everybody. I tried several things that didn't work. Calorie counting is really the only thing that worked. Until I found this. And this is not a long term solution, but it is a great kick start and a way to get the taste of crappy foods out of my mouth. Like I mentioned just before this post, I'm almost free of the cravings for the crap that I used to eat and its put me in the right mindset. Thanks for this post though, cause most people will sit there and tell you that its not a good idea and its not going to work. I know a lot of people that this has worked for and its also working for me. I wouldn't call it a fad diet. It really is a cleanse in the sense that it is cleansing the body and mind of the previous way of eating.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    One nice thing about cleanses and fasts is they really make you appreciate a smallish, healthy meal more than before. If you go from loaded pizza dinners to baked chicken with steamed broccoli, it feels restrictive and dull. If you go from fasting or green smoothies, it feels indulgent and delicious!
  • soonerkt87
    soonerkt87 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am on day 8 and have lost 5 pounds so far. hopefully some more come off by Sunday! my fiance has lost 15 though. Day 8 smoothie wasn't my favorite but I have liked all of the others!!!
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am on day 8 and Have lost 10 pounds I love it and agree with you about making it sustainable by having a smoothie a couple times a day with 1 meal!