post surgery vegetarian with anemia and B12 deficient

Options
hi everyone happy to say since i started this ap i actually lost 3 pounds yup, but just found out i am b12 deficient on top of anemic so yes i need to start eating spinach and i am also taking iron supplements. Became vegetarian 2 years ago wondering if that caused my b12 deficiency i dont see many blogs here for vegetarians with anemia so i will begin exercising in about 2 weeks been post op for 4 weeks now at home tired bored still lethargic getting excited about getting my energy back so i can start exercising btw i had a LSH not looking forward to going back to work yet sigh

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    hi everyone happy to say since i started this ap i actually lost 3 pounds yup, but just found out i am b12 deficient on top of anemic so yes i need to start eating spinach and i am also taking iron supplements. Became vegetarian 2 years ago wondering if that caused my b12 deficiency i dont see many blogs here for vegetarians with anemia so i will begin exercising in about 2 weeks been post op for 4 weeks now at home tired bored still lethargic getting excited about getting my energy back so i can start exercising btw i had a LSH not looking forward to going back to work yet sigh

Try consulting with a dietitian, especially one that might be more familiar with being vegetarian. Remember that if you're taking Iron or B12 supplements to not take them in liquid form since you won't absorb the nutrients. You need something that will pass through your stomach and into your lower intestines for digestion.
  • LovelyElena1
    LovelyElena1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    oh wow did not know that thanks for advice ive been getting the intravenous iron infusions which will now be every two weeks and drinking the expensive floradix floravita liquid iron and B12 sublingual dissolvable pills was thinking maybe trying to get the b12 shots in the arm will look for better iron pills without side effects sigh
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    The injections might be a good idea. I would say if you're taking something in liquid form it might not be ideal for somebody with Anemia, but try finding a dietitian for the best direction. In school I've had to do a lot of research around supplementation and there is a ton of research available about B12 supplementation and Anemia. You can probably find some good information on PubMed or another site that has primary and secondary research sources.
  • LovelyElena1
    Options
    cool thnx again so much and best wishes for you for 2015
  • Fitinist
    Fitinist Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Yes, going vegetarian absolutely could have caused your B12 deficiency and anemia, if you are not eating an otherwise balanced diet.
    Two web sources:
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/anemia/anemia-risk-for-vegans-and-vegetarians.aspx
    http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/understanding-anemia-basics?page=2
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you are looking for a food based source you could try adding pea protein powder to your diet. I was getting sick from the iron supplement I was taking and noticed that my protein powder has 35% of RDA of iron per scoop. (I use Now Foods unflavored.) If you decide to go this route smoothies are nice because you can incorporate citrus or berries as vitamin C helps with iron absorption.

For B12, tempeh, fortified cereals or fortified versions of nutritional yeast, brewer's yeast or spirulina.

You mention you are a vegetarian and not vegan, if you eat eggs or dairy you are going to be able to get B12 from their whole food source instead of as a supplement and have a much better time absorbing it. I don't know how strict you are with it, I've known some vegetarians that eat by products and some who do not. Just a suggestion since your deficiency is so bad that you needed medical intervention.

You will start to feel much less lethargic once you get your body back in balance.
  • LovelyElena1
    Options
    hi great thanks for information I actually don't eat eggs or drink milk either but I'm having difficulty giving up pizza my fav food so I guess that's why I say I'm vegetarian only because of the cheese but that's my goal fur 2015 I already will not buy ever again any animal products so I guess I would say I'm 90% vegan 10% vegetarian thank you very much I will definitely look up these products appreciate your help happy 2015
  • LovelyElena1
    Options
    thanks for the links very helpful informative
  • saraarassara
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian, but I was having problems with low energy, fatigue and lethargy and started looking for possible reasons why and discovered that iron and b vitamin deficiencies are common in people who don't eat meat or animal products. My nutritionist suggested smoothies with breakfast to help some, that way I get spinach, nuts, berries, and other natural sources of those nutrients. Here's a list of natural sources of those nutrients if you want to try to incorporate them in to your diet.
  • LovelyElena1
    Options
    thnx everyone for such helpful tips planning on buying isotonix b complex as well heard great reviews about these vitamins and not as expensive as floradix
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Try a b12 sub lingual (spray under the tongue) I have PA (A type of anaemia) and I need to self inject monthly. Since taking the sub lingual it has made a huge difference!!! I spray 3 times a day, twice each time, now I can do 2 times daily and sprays. Do you use nuts, seeds, yeast flakes? I was vegan for a couple of years so i can help you if you need/want it. Feel free to add me.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    work with a nutritionist. A well planned vegetarian diet can be really healthful, but not well planned and you could run into deficiencies.
  • Jacqadactle
    Jacqadactle Posts: 62 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I got a bad b12 deficiency when I was vegetarian for a long time, it's why I started eating meat again. You can only get b12 from animal products (or supplements and fortified foods) and there's not enough in eggs and dairy unless you eat a really significant amount of it. I get the b12 shots, they have worked really really well. I also take Isotonix Activated B Complex, and it works really well for me. I've gotten my numbers up and no longer get constant panic attacks, lots more energy, and I can breathe again! Get METHYL-cobalamin (b12), not cyanocobalamin. I can't stress that enough, it makes ALL the difference. I don't absorb cyano well, my doc switched me to methyl and I feel SO much better. Good luck! Also, the liquid does work, just get methyl.
  • JBuchananon
    JBuchananon Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You need to eat meat or eggs, something that comes from an animal has to be eaten! Also, it says you are post surgery. Sometimes those surgeries take out vital parts of your system that absorb nutrients or secrete enzymes in order for your body to break down food for use. You could take b 12 supplements, but it you can't absorb the B 12 it will be a waste of time and money. Or those people, you get intramuscular injections of B12 and after your body reaches a therapeutic level you can get nasal mist treatments.
  • LovelyElena1
    Options
    wow thnx so much everyone for the helpful advice i have follow up doc appt this tuesday, lets hope im better with all the supplements and enriched food ive been consuming,
    best wishes everyone for 2015 ;-)