Calories here versus calories on the machine?

Options
swebb1103
swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
I did 30 minutes on the treadmill, 3.6 mphs, 5.0 incline, and according to the machine I burned 205 calories. When I inputed the info here, it said I should have burned 302 calories (without taking into consideration the grade). Which is more accurate? I don't want to overestimate my calories so I use what the machine says, but is there a way to accurately track calories burned?

Replies

• gemma5536
    gemma5536 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    when using machines which track calories I always use what they say. If that is less than MFP thats probably the best way to do it, your not in danger of over estimating what you burn then.
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    They're both estimates. Average the two.
  • Lipvanmeier26
    Options
    To get a more accurate answer I would invest in your own personal calorie counter this way you can adjust for your height, weight , age and sex. Great Job on the workout
  • danamfinn
    danamfinn Posts: 77
    Options
    The calorie counters on the machine are not accurate. Every one and every body is different, if you want accurate results, wear a heart rate monitor and continue to update your fitness data in the monitor as you lose weight! I recomment the Polar brand, good luck!
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I went swimming this morning, and swam 29 mins breaststroke with an HRM. I am a medium to strong swimmer, The HRM said 154 cals, MFP says 409!!! I really do not trust the MFP values - I think they are very high. Even if I burned more than 154, I'd rather go lower than higher, and potentially eat cals I haven't burned .......
  • danamfinn
    danamfinn Posts: 77
    Options
    The calorie counters on the machine are not accurate. Every one and every body is different, if you want accurate results, wear a heart rate monitor and continue to update your fitness data in the monitor as you lose weight! I recomment the Polar brand, good luck!
  • Kblackmore84
    Options
    To get a more accurate answer I would invest in your own personal calorie counter this way you can adjust for your height, weight , age and sex. Great Job on the workout

I agree totaly !!! the higher your bmi the more calories you burn
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    tend to use the machines but then deduct some as everyone is different,hieght weight and how fit they are all determines what ya burn!Im very lucky to have a freind who has done a course on how to work out exactly what ya burn for ya hieght weight and fitness level so i know what im doing anyways!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I did 30 minutes on the treadmill, 3.6 mphs, 5.0 incline, and according to the machine I burned 205 calories. When I inputed the info here, it said I should have burned 302 calories (without taking into consideration the grade). Which is more accurate? I don't want to overestimate my calories so I use what the machine says, but is there a way to accurately track calories burned?

That's about what the treadmill at the gym I belong to says I burn at that speed. I generally go with the machine because I do have to enter my weight to track the calories and I feel like it's pretty accurate. When I get the money (after I buy the 30 day shred and a dvd player), I'm going to look into a HRM.

Good job on the workout!
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I will keep using the machine until I find a HRM.
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I was originally going to buy a Polar HRM monitor but have discovered that New Balances makes some good ones that are more affordable. I bought mine at target and love it! Just make sure you get the ones with the chest strap. The ones without it won't be as accurate.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion JustBreathe418!