My body just isn't used to this and it's making me slightly miserable

Options
I'm just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem I am or if I am simply a freak of nature. Here's my problem; I work midnights so my day usually starts between 3 and 4 pm. Today, 3. Had a cup of coffee. At 5 I had a hard boiled egg. I just finished dinner which consisted of salmon, couscous and veggies. (I keep my dairy open to the public if you want to look at quantities) I log my food before I sit down to eat it. Otherwise I am afraid I may forget weights or amounts or something. I weigh and measure everything. I was not able to eat everything on my plate because I felt myself getting too full. I will take a plate of the same stuff to work this evening for lunch. The problem is all this food is making me so full and just a little bit miserable. I always only ate one meal I picked up at a fast food joint on my way to work. Did that for years. I'm hoping that just like those that have cut calories due to over eating, eventually, my body will get used to the extra meal times and I won't feel so icky. Anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat so much...don't.

I don't understand the problem.
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Because it's 538 calories for the day if I just stopped now, which I could, but don't see how that will at all get me to a healthier me.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I think it's a mental thing. That dinner sounds delicious and I would eat that plus another thousand calories easily.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Try eating more calorie dense foods or drink some calories. You dont have to force feed urself huge plates of low cal meals or salads to lose weight if it makes u queazy
  • arditarose
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Try eating more calorie dense foods or drink some calories. You dont have to force feed urself huge plates of low cal meals or salads to lose weight if it makes u queazy

There ya go
  • fotofreak01
    Options
    Maybe I should have been a bit more clear. I am trying to eat TDEE - 20 % which is 1533 caloric intake daily. For me, that's a lot of food. I'm also not eating out, which would be super easy to get that amount I guess but my goal is not only to lose pounds but eat healthier foods.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should have been a bit more clear. I am trying to eat TDEE - 20 % which is 1533 caloric intake daily. For me, that's a lot of food. I'm also not eating out, which would be super easy to get that amount I guess but my goal is not only to lose pounds but eat healthier foods.

So you gained weight.....by eating less than 1533 calories?
  • arditarose
    Options

What were you doing before this? Maintaining weight at your TDEE, which is more food than your deficit?
  • fotofreak01
    Options
    I think that whole "more calorie dense foods" thing is my problem. When I cut fast food from my diet, I love meals like what I had tonight. I honestly thought there would be more calories in that meal when I made it...lol. I'll look into the more dense meals though and see what I can find. Thank you so much for the suggestion! =)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Try eating more things you are used to (more calorie dense) and playing with your meal times. I think you'll find you'll be hungrier later in the day.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Find higher calorie foods to snack on, like peanut butter . It won't make you feel too full, but it'll give you the extra calories needed. You definitely don't want to just eat 535calories a day , 1535 ( or whatever the exact number was) is a much better idea for sure. Maybe add in a few high calorie snacks in and see how it goes.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm always confused by posts like this. I mean, in order to gain the weight you are trying to lose, you obviously ate well over 538 calories a day. You were likely eating, at the very least, a couple thousand calories a day. I'm sure someone will correct my math, but it likely would have had to exceed 2000 calories and then some. I mean it takes 3500 calories to gain one pound. If you hadn't been eating a substantial amount of calories, you wouldn't have any weight to lose unless you have a medical condition we are not aware of. And now you are struggling to eat over 538 calories? You could hardly finish your plate of food because you were getting too full, and yet you likely ate hundreds of calories in that fast food you picked up before work when you used to stop and get something before work. Sorry. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, even if you are eating more nutrient dense foods.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Okay so what you're saying is this meal fills you up more than the fast food you'd been eating, right? I was so confused for a second, because obviously you were eating MORE before.
  • fotofreak01
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Yes. I have an extremely "couch potato" life. Home and work. Last year, I ate like normal and tracked everything just to see about how much I was taking in. Over a 3 month period, I averaged 800-1000 calories a day. BUT, I have been eating like this since I was about 19, so 20 years.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Oh man
  • fotofreak01
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Try eating more things you are used to (more calorie dense) and playing with your meal times. I think you'll find you'll be hungrier later in the day.

If I ever got hungry it was about 2-4 am, which is my lunch time at work.
  • fotofreak01
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm always confused by posts like this. I mean, in order to gain the weight you are trying to lose, you obviously ate well over 538 calories a day. You were likely eating, at the very least, a couple thousand calories a day. I'm sure someone will correct my math, but it likely would have had to exceed 2000 calories and then some. I mean it takes 3500 calories to gain one pound. If you hadn't been eating a substantial amount of calories, you wouldn't have any weight to lose unless you have a medical condition we are not aware of. And now you are struggling to eat over 538 calories? You could hardly finish your plate of food because you were getting too full, and yet you likely ate hundreds of calories in that fast food you picked up before work. Sorry. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, even if you are eating more nutrient dense foods. [/quote

Which is why I tracked for 3 months. And like I said, I averaged 800-1000 calories a day. It doesn't make sense to me either but it is what it is.
  • jnv7594
    Options

Yes. I have an extremely "couch potato" life. Home and work. Last year, I ate like normal and tracked everything just to see about how much I was taking in. Over a 3 month period, I averaged 800-1000 calories a day. BUT, I have been eating like this since I was about 19, so 20 years.

Sorry, but there is no way you gained weight on 800 to 1000 calories a day. Even if you are sedentary.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Please explain how you gained weight from stored, unused calories by eating less than what you need to survive in a coma.

• jnv7594
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm always confused by posts like this. I mean, in order to gain the weight you are trying to lose, you obviously ate well over 538 calories a day. You were likely eating, at the very least, a couple thousand calories a day. I'm sure someone will correct my math, but it likely would have had to exceed 2000 calories and then some. I mean it takes 3500 calories to gain one pound. If you hadn't been eating a substantial amount of calories, you wouldn't have any weight to lose unless you have a medical condition we are not aware of. And now you are struggling to eat over 538 calories? You could hardly finish your plate of food because you were getting too full, and yet you likely ate hundreds of calories in that fast food you picked up before work. Sorry. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, even if you are eating more nutrient dense foods.

she didn't pick anything up from a fast food restaurant. She said that's what she used to do.

I was talking about how she used to eat in that part of my post. My point was, she had to have eaten a substantial amount of calories to gain this weight when she did eat out daily, and now she's struggling to eat over 538? Unless she has a medical condition, she wouldn't gain weight on 800 to 1000 calories.