Carb, Fat, Protein Ratios??

Options
2»

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Start with protein. If you know your lean body mass, or can estimate it, then you want to eat about 1 gram of protein for each lb of lean body mass in order to preserve muscle while eating at a deficit. See what percentage of your calories would be taken up by hitting that protein goal. It will probably be somewhere between 25-35%.

You can divide the rest as you see fit between carbs and fats, keeping in mind that fats will help you feel satiated so that you will not want to eat so much, and are important for vitamin absorption and lots of other functions in the body. Fiber will also help with satiety, and carbs are good for energy and brain function, among other things.
  • skytland
    Options
    nzmegs wrote: »
    70 fat 10 carbs 20 protein

the ideal diet to limit insulin production and fat storage. Works incredibly well to limit hunger and reduce appetite.
    All foods need to be natural and not processed.

I completely agree with the 70/10/20 ratio. This is called a keto diet and is very effective.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Dotson0508 wrote: »
    How will I know if the carbs and fat need to be adjusted??

My scales in my case tend to read higher when I need more less carb and more fat.

• Zhost
    Zhost Posts: 97
    Options
    Low carb, protein to a certain goal, fat for satiety. Keto here as well.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    35 carb:40 fat:25 protein is working for me. And I am running between 30 and 50km a week. I make sure I get some of my carbs and most of my sugar from fresh fruit. I'm 173cm and around 77 kg, and eating around 1750kcal net a day on average.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 40C, 30F, 30P but generally hit 50-60C

As long as I stay within my calorie defecit and keep an eye on my protein so that I'm aiming for at least 100g I'm OK
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

As long as I stay within my calorie defecit and keep an eye on my protein so that I'm aiming for at least 100g I'm OK

^I do exactly the same. I have a fiber goal of 50g that I try to meet as well.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

the ideal diet to limit insulin production and fat storage. Works incredibly well to limit hunger and reduce appetite.

This would kill me too... And you can't have fat storage if you are in a calorie deficit.. And there is nothing wrong with insulin.. it stimulates muscle growth. Also, if you are concerned about insulin, then I hate to tell you that protein and exercise can stimulate it too. Weight loss is controlled by CICO... macros affect body composition (maintenance of muscle, hormone regulation, satiety, energy, etc...).

OP, the general goal for protein is around 1g per lb of lean body mass.. fat ranges from .35-.6g per lb of lean body mass and the rest is carbs. Realistically, the best way for us to give a good estimate is to provide your height, weight, age and workout routine. If you are an endurance athlete, more carbs would be necessary...
  • funkodrunko
    funkodrunko Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    this ^^
  • funkodrunko
    funkodrunko Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Calories are the key. You can still gain weight going keto. It'd be hard because protein and fats are very satiating and thusharder to overeat. Removing carbs removes calories.
  • Dotson0508
    Dotson0508 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Start with protein. If you know your lean body mass, or can estimate it, then you want to eat about 1 gram of protein for each lb of lean body mass in order to preserve muscle while eating at a deficit. See what percentage of your calories would be taken up by hitting that protein goal. It will probably be somewhere between 25-35%.

You can divide the rest as you see fit between carbs and fats, keeping in mind that fats will help you feel satiated so that you will not want to eat so much, and are important for vitamin absorption and lots of other functions in the body. Fiber will also help with satiety, and carbs are good for energy and brain function, among other things.

Thank you!
  • Dotson0508
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

This would kill me too... And you can't have fat storage if you are in a calorie deficit.. And there is nothing wrong with insulin.. it stimulates muscle growth. Also, if you are concerned about insulin, then I hate to tell you that protein and exercise can stimulate it too. Weight loss is controlled by CICO... macros affect body composition (maintenance of muscle, hormone regulation, satiety, energy, etc...).

OP, the general goal for protein is around 1g per lb of lean body mass.. fat ranges from .35-.6g per lb of lean body mass and the rest is carbs. Realistically, the best way for us to give a good estimate is to provide your height, weight, age and workout routine. If you are an endurance athlete, more carbs would be necessary...

5'4" - 221lbs - age 37
    I am currently working out 3 to 4 times a week mixing up cardio kickboxing, boxing, and weight training. I also try and walk a couple times a week.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

5'4" - 221lbs - age 37
    I am currently working out 3 to 4 times a week mixing up cardio kickboxing, boxing, and weight training. I also try and walk a couple times a week.
    How many calories are you consuming? And male or female?

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Exactly what I do...I am aiming to up the protein.

I find that cutting carbs means I automatically cut down on fat. Fat's not something I eat on its own...it's usually gobbled as the best friend of a plate of pasta or a fluffy potato or thick, chewy artisan bread.....~drools~
  • Dotson0508
    Options

5'4" - 221lbs - age 37
    How many calories are you consuming? And male or female?

Female - 1500 calories