What do you think of stores opinions about "plus sizes"

Options
melibuny
melibuny Posts: 23 Member
edited January 2015 in Chit-Chat
I think plus sizes shouldn't exist who cares whether you have 40 hips or 27 i think all sizes are beautiful what do you think?

Replies

• ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to say that they shouldn't be called "Plus Sizes" or that manufacturers should stop making clothes in anything larger than a misses 14 and anyone needing a larger size will just have to go naked?
  • determined_ella
    determined_ella Posts: 4,354 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think whatever size you are you shouldn't have to go far to find clothes that fit.... also that the clothes should be more designer ( when I say designer I mean that look fancy) and sexy for larger ladies. because we all are beautiful... it's the people who judge that are ugly.
  • jeffviets
    jeffviets Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I agree. And im sick of "brand name" stores not selling clothes that go past 2xl. And when they do offer bigger sizes its a very limited selection and the charge you extra money.
  • melibuny
    Options
    I feel you i could be shopping online and see an amazing shirt that advertises plus size but when i check their plus size is a medium....
  • melibuny
    Options
    Im saying that stores shouldn't call it plus size i know people who are afraid of shopping in the plus size section because they are afraid that anyone who is seen in the plus size section is a turn off to men personally i think woman of all sizes are beautiful and shouldn't be ashamed to flaunt their curves.
  • jeffviets
    jeffviets Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Finally being able to buy the kind of clothes i want to wear is one of my main reasons for wanting to lose weight.
  • ilfaith
    Options
    I think the term "plus size" is merely a way retailers have to differentiate between sizes so shoppers have an easier time finding clothing that will fit them. Just as a department store might have a "Juniors" department with clothes cut slimmer for a developing "teenage" body or a "Petite" department for women under 5'4".

I think with the increasing American waistline, the industry has realized that the plus-sized market is a lucrative business, and I think the styles offered today are far more current and fashionable than the muumuus, smock-like blouses, and polyester double-knit pants that seemed to be the only options a few decades ago.

Obviously every store at the mall cannot carry every outfit in every size from 00 to 30+. There's just not enough real estate. But there is increasing availability of plus-size (and other alternative sizing, such as petite and tall) online. (Although being petite, I confess I am sometimes disappointed when an item I like at Ann Taylor or Banana Republic is only offered in "regular" sizes and not available in petite.)

As far as being seen in the plus-size section as being a turn-off to men...I don't imagine there are that many men who care what department you are buying your clothes as long as you look put together.

Now don't get me started on the issue of a lack of standardization in sizing (why people may have clothes in four sizes in their wardrobes, all of which fit)...or vanity sizing (my journey from size 5 to 00 without losing a pound). I've gone on long enough.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    JcPenney has a whole "Plus size" section for girls in their store. How do y'all feel about that?
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »
    I think the term "plus size" is merely a way retailers have to differentiate between sizes so shoppers have an easier time finding clothing that will fit them. Just as a department store might have a "Juniors" department with clothes cut slimmer for a developing "teenage" body or a "Petite" department for women under 5'4".

I think with the increasing American waistline, the industry has realized that the plus-sized market is a lucrative business, and I think the styles offered today are far more current and fashionable than the muumuus, smock-like blouses, and polyester double-knit pants that seemed to be the only options a few decades ago.

Obviously every store at the mall cannot carry every outfit in every size from 00 to 30+. There's just not enough real estate. But there is increasing availability of plus-size (and other alternative sizing, such as petite and tall) online. (Although being petite, I confess I am sometimes disappointed when an item I like at Ann Taylor or Banana Republic is only offered in "regular" sizes and not available in petite.)

As far as being seen in the plus-size section as being a turn-off to men...I don't imagine there are that many men who care what department you are buying your clothes as long as you look put together.

Now don't get me started on the issue of a lack of standardization in sizing (why people may have clothes in four sizes in their wardrobes, all of which fit)...or vanity sizing (my journey from size 5 to 00 without losing a pound). I've gone on long enough.

the vanity sizing is really bothering me. Too many stores are going this route. Certain stores are worse than others, e.g. Ann Taylor. Even the 0's don't fit me there, which is ridiculous when a 2 at most stores fit. I mean, the 0's aren't even close. They are huge on me. Same for some Macy's brands. Its really getting out of control.
  • ilfaith
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    JcPenney has a whole "Plus size" section for girls in their store. How do y'all feel about that?

I think it is better than having pre-teens dress in clothing made for adult women. There are plenty of overweight kids out there who need to wear something. That something should be age-appropriate.

My fifth grader borders on overweight. "Husky" sizes fit him best. He's followed that growth curve for years, since he was a toddler. He is "big-boned" and broad-shouldered...but he has also been known to sneak snack food when I'm not looking over his shoulder. We are working on keeping him more physically active, and trying to encourage healthier choices. (My middle son is on the skinny side, and needs "slim" pants and jeans...my youngest has an average build...alas no saving money with hand-me-downs.)
  • beckibelgium
    beckibelgium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I get more annoyed about being a different size in every different shop wth? I range from a 12-18 depending where I shop! X
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I see people complain quite a bit about this but I guess I've just never really minded. Even as a child I wore the girls' version of boys' "husky" sizing, whatever they called it back then...by junior high I was shopping at Lane Bryant so I didn't cry about being plus sized, I just thought of it as "my size" and quite honestly, I found age appropriate & pretty darn cute clothes in plus size departments everywhere even in the early 90's. Now it's even easier for bigger girls and women, IMO.

Perhaps I am the one looking at this all wrong, but I find it surprising when I hear someone say "It's so unfair they don't make this top in my size"...it would never have occurred to me to think that way. I always viewed it much like shopping for a car and wishing it came in lavender but it's only available in red, black, white or blue. One of those things. Meh.

It wasn't until last year at age 37 that I was officially out of plus sizes. And while I quite enjoy that...it's not that exciting, to be honest...it's not like every store greets you with a lei and fruity drink "Congrats on being a size 10!" It's just smaller. Bigger selection to choose from, and prices CAN be a little cheaper sometimes (not always). No big excitement most of the time.
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    This is really going to turn out bad.
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    One of my big motivators to lose weight is to have a better selection at the consignment stores. It combines my love for clothes shopping, treasure hunting, frugality, and a good pat-myself-on-the-back feeling from reusing things.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    One of my big motivators to lose weight is to have a better selection at the consignment stores. It combines my love for clothes shopping, treasure hunting, frugality, and a good pat-myself-on-the-back feeling from reusing things.

That's fun! I love them too and definitely have better luck there now. Good luck to you!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I think they should do a switcheroo and convert Plus Sizes into numbers then have a Minus Size Section for the smaller ladies. That way no one feels bad, ever.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    at least you have stores that offer the clothes! i live outside the U.S and wouldn't care if they label huge clothes store i would buy it, there's only 1 plus size store in my whole country and the clothes are so Fuglyyyy :\
    you basically can't find anything ever that is beyond an 18 size at much ever
  • katw0man_
    katw0man_ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    melibuny wrote: »
    I think plus sizes shouldn't exist who cares whether you have 40 hips or 27 i think all sizes are beautiful what do you think?
    I think "plus size" is *kitten* that's what I think
    Shouldn't have to feel like I'm not a normal size because I don't fit in a size 5 dress
  • katw0man_
    katw0man_ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    at least you have stores that offer the clothes! i live outside the U.S and wouldn't care if they label huge clothes store i would buy it, there's only 1 plus size store in my whole country and the clothes are so Fuglyyyy :\
    you basically can't find anything ever that is beyond an 18 size at much ever

That's so *kitten* up