Do you ever have trouble deciding what to eat?

Options
itsMcKay
itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I know how to count calories so it's not a question of what CAN I eat with my remaining calories but what do I WANT to eat! Do you ever feel like nothing in the fridge is worth the calories?

And I'm taking today off the gym because I'm calibrating my normal amount of calories burned on an average rest day (just got my Polar FT4 heart rate monitor!). But it sure is hard not to just go and burn for a couple hours! But, this is important for personalizing and tweaking my weight loss goals. And it's just one night.

I'm probably just going to end up doing baked boneless, skinless chicken breast with broccoli in an herbed greek yogurt sauce. I'm just finding that I'm putting off eating later and later each day just because I'm indecisive about whether or not the calories are worth that particular food over another.

Bleh.

Thoughts?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I definitely consider it. Mostly because I want to make sure it's going to fill me up enough, and leave some room for a dessert. But it doesn't stress me out really. It can leave me roaming the grocery store for longer than I'd like though.
  • itsMcKay
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I definitely consider it. Mostly because I want to make sure it's going to fill me up enough, and leave some room for a dessert. But it doesn't stress me out really. It can leave me roaming the grocery store for longer than I'd like though.

Ha! Yep, been there. That's why we make lists before we go now. ;p

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    My store is itty bitty. If I try to go to whole foods I say screw it and go to the salad bar.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I tend to pre-log my day, so I know what to eat for each meal, and how much.
    So if I do a last minute add in or substitution, I can know then and there if it a) fits, and b) if I still want it. I'm not a picky eater or opposed to switching things up if I change my mind, so it's generally easy for me.

Luckily my only issues in deciding what to eat tends to be when I do a massive grocery shopping trip, and then cannot decide what to eat first, haha.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I had that indecisiveness at first, then I'd be eating 800ish calories a day. The only meal I really prelog is dinner--I work from home most days and can decide what to eat immediately beforehand. I know I like to snack at night, so I save most of my calories for the evening and choose wisely during the day. I'm usually only under by about 25 calories now.
  • itsMcKay
    Options
    Nice! I actually ended up just settling on turning our dinner into a soup.

Big chunks of baked chicken, pureed broccoli mixed in with chunks. Chicken stock. A tbsp. of butter and flour to thicken it a bit. Garlic, spices and herbs. Laughing Cow light minis for cheesiness. I'm adding half a cup of greek yogurt to mine but my boyfriend isn't as big a fan so he gets fresh-made croutons, instead. Plus, he's trying to gain while I lose.

This soup is high in calories because I'm using a TON of chicken but it could easily be four servings instead of two. I just know how he eats and I'm pretty hungry so two giant dinner servings it is! :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My husband and I typically plan out a bunch of meals for each week, but not in a super regimented way like "Tues - salmon, couscous, asparagus". More like a list of 10 things we will make over the course of a week. So there are times when nothing really sounds "right". I usually make an omelet or French toast with fruit.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I find I prefer to log a day in advance. It prevents me from sitting at a restraint with my phone in one hand and a menu in the other for half an hour.

I also seem to eat two REALLY clean meals a day (like a smoothie for one meal) and then splurge on the third. Maybe not the best way to go. Idk.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I get in food ruts too... not feeling like eating any specific. Then I just make low calorie meals (chicken breasts with veggies or something).
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    No, because all the indecision is a waste of energy. I make sure I have ingredients and then I just make what I feel like.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I plan out meals for the week so not usually an issue.

Also heart rate monitors are not meant to give base line calories, they work okay for steady state calorie burns, but not for all day activity tracking.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    itsMcKay wrote: »
    Nice! I actually ended up just settling on turning our dinner into a soup.

Big chunks of baked chicken, pureed broccoli mixed in with chunks. Chicken stock. A tbsp. of butter and flour to thicken it a bit. Garlic, spices and herbs. Laughing Cow light minis for cheesiness. I'm adding half a cup of greek yogurt to mine but my boyfriend isn't as big a fan so he gets fresh-made croutons, instead. Plus, he's trying to gain while I lose.

This soup is high in calories because I'm using a TON of chicken but it could easily be four servings instead of two. I just know how he eats and I'm pretty hungry so two giant dinner servings it is! :)
    This soup recipe sounds really tasty! If you are worried about the calories, it isn't the chicken. One tbs of butter adds about 100 calories (of useless fat), and that's worth almost 4 oz of chicken...I'd add MORE chicken and leave out the butter....lol
    I know your feelings about food so well..I'm 'converting' my cravings into healthier food choices all the time...I take 2 (!!!) cups of Greek yogurt over 1 candy bar all the time.... :D
  • itsMcKay
    Options
    I plan out meals for the week so not usually an issue.

Also heart rate monitors are not meant to give base line calories, they work okay for steady state calorie burns, but not for all day activity tracking.

Oh, really? Can you tell me where you got this information? I'd like to make sure I'm doing it right. Thanks!