Help and advice needed, please!!!!

Options
Hi everyone, I weighed myself after a month a merriment in December and was surprised at weighed 148lbs - woo hoo - nowhere near as bad as I expected. This week I started a bootcamp, did cardio on days in between and this morning I'm 152lbs....according to my scales, my fat has gone up and my muscle gone down...I'm very baffled. I want to be 130lbs, could it be that I'm eating too few calories? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Feeling really disheartened.

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Scales are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to measuring anything beside weight. And unless you have eaten 14000 calories above your maintenance this week your weight gain is most likely water retention.
  • dominicgamutan
    dominicgamutan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Either you are having too much exercise and too little protein, or you need more calories because of the exercise. You need rest days :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Either you are having too much exercise and too little protein, or you need more calories because of the exercise. You need rest days :)

No!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Water retention - exercise, hormones, sodium ...it will go, weigh again next week

Providing you are still weighing and logging food to a calorie defecit and eating back 50-75% exercise calories you will be fine

Scales can't measure body fat properly - notoriously inaccurate - ignore
  • dominicgamutan
    dominicgamutan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I guess, it could be something like that too. A friend of mine did overtraining tho and that caused him to lose some muscle mass. I think that's why my mind jumped to that.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Overtraining leads to fatigue, moodiness, insomnia, muscle soreness, decreased performance, decreased appetite, increased susceptibility to viral illness and injuries

You are completely right that rest days are important and that protein helps with muscle recovery

Sorry didn't mean to be so curt :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Scales are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to measuring anything beside weight. And unless you have eaten 14000 calories above your maintenance this week your weight gain is most likely water retention.

All of this
  • Pippinberry
    Options
    I don't trust scales for anything other than weight. If you want an accurate body fat measurement I'd go to a gym to have it done.
    Training for a half marathon made me lose muscle actually and gain fat - so there's definitely something in making sure you have enough protein if you're exercising a lot.
    - Don't be disheartened as it sounds like you're super motivated and will reach your goal :)
  • KimmyAlonso
    KimmyAlonso Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to make sure I increase my protein and focus more on measurements and fitness than juat weight. Will definitely get there :)