Are food scales helpful?

Options
2»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I love my food scale so much. It's an eye opener, and my favorite weight loss tool. Definitely get one. As everyone else said, it doesn't need to be fancy, just make sure it weighs in grams and ounces and has a tare function.
  • bean_jean
    bean_jean Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the responses! I'll get one with the tare button.
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think if you've never used one, they can be really useful for education alone. Eg working out what 100g of meat etc looks like. Just learning a lot through that can best place you to guestimate for future occasions when you don't have one.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Yes. Ozeri brand on Amazon is great. $15

+1 for Ozeri

+2!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Helpful? Hell they're The Bees Knees.

They're the only thing that consistently works.

How do you know how much to eat unless you know what you already ate?

Without scales, it's all a wild arsed guess and virtually guaranteed to be incorrect.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    -1 on Ozeri.

It takes too long to tare, IMO. It doesn't just zero, it has to go through a little dance first, which is a pain if you're holding a bunch of frozen items. It also can't decide how much something weighs and keeps flashing different numbers at me. 21, no, 22, no 21, no 20, no 21. I end up guessing. My postage scale was easier and faster. I may switch back to it.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Mine's a Salter digital one I got cheaply on Amazon.

We've always had scales as recipes in the UK generally require ingredients in grams and ounces, although it's only been in the past 18 months or so that I've been stricter with weighing everything. When I lost weight after my 2nd baby I didn't weigh everything and now losing weight after my third I do weigh pretty much everything. My weight loss is no faster now.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes ...digital scale that you can put any plate, bowl or pan on and rebalance it to zero

And use it for everything, throw away cups
  • LazyNightOwl
    LazyNightOwl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just ordered an Ozeri about an hour ago! :)
  • ChrissyLowe13
    Options
    looking into buying my 1st food scales after reading above-thanks for the advice
  • bean_jean
    bean_jean Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've had my Ozeri for about a week and it is as good as everyone here said it would be. thanks.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Something that doesn't get mentioned on MFP is that you can actually sometimes use your scale for measuring some liquids, which makes buying one an even better idea. Some scales have this feature built in, and you can search on Amazon for one that measures liquid.

For fluids with the same density as water (juice, milk, and I'll even do this for booze) a gram meis more or less equal to a millilitre. A fluid ounce is more or less equal to an ounce in weight.

I've checked this with my cute Oxo Good Grips teeny tiny measuring jugs, and it's accurate enough that I use my scale this way all the time, especially when putting protein smoothies together.

(I'll even do things like mayo and oil this way too if I can't find an entry in the database that gives values for single grammes, but only ml. However, I still have a lot of weight to lose and my deficit is large enough to take any discrepancies this might cause.)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Pootler74 wrote: »
    Something that doesn't get mentioned on MFP is that you can actually sometimes use your scale for measuring some liquids, which makes buying one an even better idea. Some scales have this feature built in, and you can search on Amazon for one that measures liquid.

For fluids with the same density as water (juice, milk, and I'll even do this for booze) a gram meis more or less equal to a millilitre. A fluid ounce is more or less equal to an ounce in weight.

I've checked this with my cute Oxo Good Grips teeny tiny measuring jugs, and it's accurate enough that I use my scale this way all the time, especially when putting protein smoothies together.

(I'll even do things like mayo and oil this way too if I can't find an entry in the database that gives values for single grammes, but only ml. However, I still have a lot of weight to lose and my deficit is large enough to take any discrepancies this might cause.)

This is true as well. I noticed the mL setting on my scale and tried it and it was accurate.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I held off getting one for a long time, but they are totally worth it.