Tips for getting rid of bloat?

Options
Anyone get any tips for getting rid of a hard, bloated belly?
Is it water weight?

I am eating within deficit and working out four times a week, it is early days I have been doing this for two weeks. But surely bloating should reduce a bit by now?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    When was the last time you pooped? Are you drinking water? Did you suddenly add more fiber to your diet? Are you eating enough fiber?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I see you're not tracking sodium, and it appears that you're using some random user entries (specifically on your breakfast scrambled eggs, which leads me to question how much of the other entries are accurate as well). So with no idea how high your sodium is on a daily basis, that may be a factor. Using generic entries could contribute to you actually eating more than you're recording (because you have no idea if the entry for the scrambled eggs that you picked is prepared EXACTLY the same way that you prepare them - so yours could have more calories than the entry chosen). Additionally either you're not drinking much water or you're just not recording it - I saw one day with water recorded and it was only 3 glasses that day; it seems somewhat counterintuitive but the best way to flush water from your system (bloat) is to drink more water.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Are you accurately tracking your food. What is your average intake over the last 2 weeks. What has your weight done. Why do you think its bloat?
  • Chlo92x
    Chlo92x Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Im not accurately tracking at the moment I am waiting for my scales to arrive. I don't tend to track water i always forget and I know I dont drink enough, i drink a lot of tea?

I chose omelette nothing added, because I didnt use cooking oil and I added the cheese and onion I used seperately? Is that not how I should be doing it?

I have been eating around 1200 but not eating my cals burnt back, I have figured out my TDEE and BMR etc and aparently I should eat 1421 on rest day, should I be eating back cals burnt?

x
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you elaborate on why and what you consider "bloating"?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Chlo92x wrote: »
    Im not accurately tracking at the moment I am waiting for my scales to arrive. I don't tend to track water i always forget and I know I dont drink enough, i drink a lot of tea?

I chose omelette nothing added, because I didnt use cooking oil and I added the cheese and onion I used seperately? Is that not how I should be doing it?

I have been eating around 1200 but not eating my cals burnt back, I have figured out my TDEE and BMR etc and aparently I should eat 1421 on rest day, should I be eating back cals burnt?

x

Are you logging but just not weighing?

What is your average intake over the last 2 weeks?

What has your weight done?

Why do you think you have bloat?

Yes, you should be eating exercise calories back if you are using your base line for your target without exercise. To allow for over-estimates of calories burned however, I would look to eat back about 75% of them - so leave yourself a small buffer.
  • Kerrylee66
    Options
    Water, water, water!
  • Chlo92x
    Options
    thanks,

I am logging as accurately as possible without weighing, using cups or eg, half a medium sized onion etc. I am trying to over guess as research says people tend to under guess weights ...

I think it is bloating because it is hard and sticky out! lol

I am 131 and i am due to weigh on Wednesday to see any difference.

Average intake has been around 1100 over the last 7 days as I have been logging.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    thanks,

I am logging as accurately as possible without weighing, using cups or eg, half a medium sized onion etc. I am trying to over guess as research says people tend to under guess weights ...

Average intake has been around 1100 over the last 7 days as I have been logging.

Is your stomach sticking out more (for want of a better phrase) than before?
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Sometimes bloating can be an indicator of a food sensitivity. You can be sensitive to a food without being allergic to it. If it is a constant, recurring problem, after you've tried the suggestions above (like drinking more water), maybe consider an elimination diet.
  • Chlo92x
    Options
    haha i guess a little bit but I have been eating so much junk and cider over christmas its just gradually become bloated. I decided to eat health and exercise two weeks ago and no reduced bloat.....

peppermint tea maybe? and sip water throughout the day? I read if you down water it can cause bloat.
  • martycon400
    martycon400 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above comment saying food intolerance can definitely lead to bloating, 3 common ones are dairy, wheat and gluten, you could try eliminating these one at a time for 2 - 3 weeks and reintroducing noting any change in body composition and/or performance/energy levels. Bloating can be a symptom of IBS which is a common digestive condition in many people with sensitivities. Along with cramps diarrhea and constipation. Weight gain, skin reactions, headaches, fatigue, and IBD are also symptoms of intolerances. drinking more water will help 2 - 3 liters a day is normal depending on activity.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    thanks,

--It could be bloating, but that sounds more like constipation to me. I would increase water and fiber--the fiber a little at a time--or try something like Metamucil. I would not advise anything stronger for constipation since straight laxatives can be hellish and make the problem worse.
  • SPT5687
    SPT5687 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Could be almost anything, sodium intake, menstrual cycle, what your eating, or just extra belly fat from the holidays (as you said that you were "downing cider and junk food").

If it were me, I would try to get an accurate measurement of my body fat percentage, and you could also try taking a supplement like waterex - if its bloat from water, that will eliminate it and you will know, and if not, its probably related to diet or one of many other possible factors....

I agree with what others have said, start being more proactive about tracking exactly what you are eating/drinking, BMI, body fat, weight, exercise etc. and you will be able to better identify the "bloat", as well as being better able to track how many calories you should be eating, and figure out the excess mass in your lower mid-section.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    haha i guess a little bit but I have been eating so much junk and cider over christmas its just gradually become bloated. I decided to eat health and exercise two weeks ago and no reduced bloat.....

peppermint tea maybe? and sip water throughout the day? I read if you down water it can cause bloat.

I would wait till you weigh-in and see what the scale says and then take it from there. Its too hard for anyone to say for sure whether it is bloat or not.
  • Chlo92x
    Options
    SPT5687 wrote: »
    Could be almost anything, sodium intake, menstrual cycle, what your eating, or just extra belly fat from the holidays (as you said that you were "downing cider and junk food").

If it were me, I would try to get an accurate measurement of my body fat percentage, and you could also try taking a supplement like waterex - if its bloat from water, that will eliminate it and you will know, and if not, its probably related to diet or one of many other possible factors....

I agree with what others have said, start being more proactive about tracking exactly what you are eating/drinking, BMI, body fat, weight, exercise etc. and you will be able to better identify the "bloat", as well as being better able to track how many calories you should be eating, and figure out the excess mass in your lower mid-section.

I didnt say 'downing cider' for the record lol!