How many people do just calories in/calories out?

Options
I have South Beached (worked), counted Points (worked sometimes), and countless other programs...

Just curious, how many of you just count calories in and out?
Does it work for you?

Replies

• clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I do and yes - it works every time. Just have to keep with it :)
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    that's literally the only way.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Yes I do and yes it does, it is the only way - other fad diets just disguise it with fancy nonsense.
  • sagrew
    sagrew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's mostly what I do, but also try and limit sugars and fats for overall health reasons.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I eat what I want as long as it's within my calories. I try to keep a vague eye on my macros (percentage of protein etc) but if I want a chocolate I eat it and log it. That being said, I try to eat healthily most days as I feel hungry if I don't eat enough protein.
  • maryseb63
    maryseb63 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Has been working for me for a year. And intend counting till I can't count no more :) It works if you are consistent with it.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    No matter what program you do to lose weight, it is based on the principle of limiting your caloric intake. Calories are a unit of energy. If you create a deficit, whether you count or not, it will result in weight loss. I prefer counting because it is the most accurate way to pinpoint intake and make adjustments properly then trusting diet programs to do it for me. I've spent $0 on dieting other then a digital food scale and lost 53 lbs calorie counting.
  • clambert1273
    Options
    Yes, I do. I eat what I want as long as it's within my calories. I try to keep a vague eye on my macros (percentage of protein etc) but if I want a chocolate I eat it and log it. That being said, I try to eat healthily most days as I feel hungry if I don't eat enough protein.

LOL of course I want chocolate now... :P guess I know what I am eating later lol
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I do. Works. Always. Except when I "lie" to myself (i.e. not logging accurately, I'm a terrible "guesstimator"). But that doesn't mean calorie counting doesn't work--just means I'm not working it correctly.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    As far as I'm concerned, it's the only way to fly, but it demands total honesty and accountability.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options

LOL of course I want chocolate now... :P guess I know what I am eating later lol

Did I say chocolate? I meant to say a salad;)
  • clambert1273
    Options
    oh you can't try that now.. it's out there... no take backs... lol
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I count. Kinda the point of MFP's food diary and all that. :)

I've lost 58 lbs successfully and gained a healthy 25 lbs pregnancy weight by counting calories. And I'll continue counting calories so that I can keep being successful in whatever direction of the scale I go.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I do. I too have tried and always failed at "diets". Now I keep it simple. I eat about 500 calories per day less than I burn. When I stay on task, log, and exercise, it works. I did manage to regain 15 pounds when I stopped logging for about a year, so I am back into the routine now and losing fat again. I burn about 2100 calories per day (I use a Fitbit) and consume around 1600.
  • AliluniqueLaura
    AliluniqueLaura Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 calories. I have premeasured cereal for breakfast. If I know I am having alfredo sauce for dinner I always choose my middle of the day food more carefully. Buy a food scale. I was very surprised that I was so off on measurements, I cheated myself out of a lot of cheese. Exercise will give you more calories. Remember, this isn't a depravation diet, this is teaching us to enjoy any food responsibly.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Over 120 lbs lost, went from a tight size 24 to comfy size 8 jeans... I would say it works, it's helped teach me portion size, moderation, and fitting in ice cream
  • Halbared
    Halbared Posts: 24 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I make sure the macros are a certain ratio. So it's a combo of calories, 16/8 and macros for me. IIFYM etc. :D
  • lisamls
    lisamls Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I thought that was the only way to lose weight. The calories you consume should be lower than the calories you expend. For health reasons, I do try to eat whole foods, but right now, I am focusing more on my calories in and out.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I do.

But to say that I ignore nutrition would be foolish. I try to fuel my body with the good stuff -- lots of veggies, tasty meat, fruits...

I'm just not fanatic about it.