How many people do just calories in/calories out?

Options

Replies

• ShondaBihari
    ShondaBihari Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do and it works. Dieting is completely restricting yourself of things most (if not all, lol) food you enjoy and most are likely to fail. With In vs Out you can enjoy things in moderation.
  • sazdosanjh
    sazdosanjh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do, but my diet has evolved over 4/5 years to exclude junk and include fresh fruit and veg. Now I'm making green smoothies, it's fast becoming a habit and it's takes a chunk out of my calorie count. The thing that makes all this work is never feeling hungry and taking months/years to substitute one food for another, one at a time.
  • roseypdx
    roseypdx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I began strictly counting back in August and lost 25 pounds. I thought I knew what I needed to do and stopped tracking in December - well a few pounds found there way back and I am sold - need to track. Within just 2 weeks of doing this I am back to where I was and am back on track to lose the last 20 pounds I need to lose...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Not just calories in/out, but no diets with names either :)
    Calories first though :p Portion control (*)
    I aim to get enough protein and fat. Five-a-day (fruit and vegetables). Eat meals, no grazing anymore. Vegetables, fat and protein at every meal. Variety, whole foods, as fresh and unprocessed as possible (I like to process them myself lol). Built-in treats every day that I really prefer to the cheap junk I used to eat, but I will occasionally eat pizza, chocolate, ice cream etc with friends.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Of course it works...a calorie is a unit of energy...weight control is all about energy balance...you consume more energy than is required, that energy has to go somewhere. That somewhere is your fat stores...your energy reserves. You consume less energy than is required your body has to make up the difference by dipping into those energy reserves (i.e. fat stores). When you consume a balance of energy you maintain. Yes...it's that simple.

The difficult part is figuring out what your actual needs are...and then of course theres the act of consistency and ultimately establishing healthful habits that you take with you for the rest of your life in order to maintain and sustain a healthy weight.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, since January 2014, it's been 100%, "calories in, calories out" for me. As far as whether it has worked, see my before/current photos. Within my CI/CO bounds, I also balance my macro and micro nutrients for better health, on top of my weight loss goals.
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Wow... thanks for all of the replies.
    I am heading back to the gym (I had gallbladder surgery in late November), but prior to that, I was doing about an hour and a half to two hours of cardio a day.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am heading back to the gym (I had gallbladder surgery in late November), but prior to that, I was doing about an hour and a half to two hours of cardio a day.

lol god that just sounds like punishment and torture to me lol but I despise cardio with every fiber of my being lol
  • cerad2
    cerad2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    allanakern wrote: »
    that's literally the only way.
    The only way for what?
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Calories in/out works every time, as long as you follow it. That means logging everything you eat. I eat whatever I want, although the more junky foods I eat the more hungry I am, so I eat more nutrient dense foods (protein, veggies etc) and I don't feel as hungry on the same amount of calories. You have to find what works for you food/nutrition wise, but in the end eating less than you burn will always result in weight loss.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Me me me. I just count calories and I'm 60 lbs down, from obese to the middle of the normal weight range. I eat whatever I want as long as it fits my calories. I learned by about a month in that I still need to incorporate a lot of 'healthy' options into my diet, because 1,700 calories of ice cream is not as satisfying for all day hunger as a balance of veggies, protein, carbs, and ice cream. Honestly, this method has been stupidly easy. I never feel deprived, I can eat out at any restaurant, get drunk from time to time, and still lose weight.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options

I'd recommend dropping half of those cardio days and getting some strength training in. You'll burn down the weight, strengthen your body, and look better than all cardio.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Almost all diets work. The thing is finding one that works for you. Healthy and doable. South Beach worked for you. WW has worked for many. I've seen and experienced other diets working well. Calories in calories out works too. Its not the only way to go though, we each need to find what works for us.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Me too! I hate "working out" as I haven't yet found something I enjoy, but when it was warm and I went for brisk daily walks, I had plenty of calories to play with and was losing at a healthy rate.
  • M1SS703
    M1SS703 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am all about calories in/calories out, but always keeping in mind the body's need for certain amounts of protein, carbohydrates and fats in order to facilitate healthy weight loss. Not all calories are created equal; I make an effort to eat whole foods where possible to ensure my body is getting the right calories. Good Luck! :)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Any and everybody who has lost weight has done it doing "just calories in/calories out".

• rachelliptic
    rachelliptic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I eat what I want as long as it's within my calories. I try to keep a vague eye on my macros (percentage of protein etc) but if I want a chocolate I eat it and log it. That being said, I try to eat healthily most days as I feel hungry if I don't eat enough protein.

^ exactly what I do and it works.
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for 6 months now and I'm down 61 lbs. I've never lost that much in my life. I always new that counting calories worked I just thought it was way to much of a hassle but MFP has made it super easy. I never feel deprived.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    cerad2 wrote: »
    allanakern wrote: »
    that's literally the only way.
    The only way for what?

The only way to lose weight. Expend more calories than you eat. All the expensive fancy diets just make up a bunch of marketing crap to hide the fact that they are just creating a calorie deficit.
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options

lol god that just sounds like punishment and torture to me lol but I despise cardio with every fiber of my being lol

It is my stress relief. Love it.